5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etorque lag?

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
I’m positive that it was installed correctly. I’m gonna say the only issue with the product was me. I should’ve read the instructions on operation. I guarantee the issue was me changing modes while driving. But, I will not get rid of it. The week I did use it, was amazing. And I agree with @securityguy, the option to hide the controller and utilize Bluetooth is the best selling point of PC.

Johnsonroda27

Reaction score
Back to the original topic here .. my 2019 3.92 non e torque was fairly responsive off the line . My 2022 3.92 etorque absolutely has a delay like the brakes are stuck for a second.. even with this community's glorious savior of a pedal commander.l, It still does it. I get the faster throttle response, but after the second delay. Ive disabled the hill brake assist and the auto start/stop, neither made a difference. There is 100% a difference between non ET and ET, no question.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Nachotaco

Reaction score
Back to the original topic here .. my 2019 3.92 non e torque was fairly responsive off the line . My 2022 3.92 etorque absolutely has a delay like the brakes are stuck for a second.. even with this community's glorious savior of a pedal commander.l, It still does it. I get the faster throttle response, but after the second delay. Ive disabled the hill brake assist and the auto start/stop, neither made a difference. There is 100% a difference between non ET and ET, no question.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I just got a '22 etorque with a 3.92 and initially thought it felt slower than my '15 hemi 3.21. It makes no sense, I think the what is happening is I'm just not used to driving the etorque and don't hit the gas as hard. I don't have a feel for the pedal yet. I'm almost at 1000 miles so we'll see if I get used to it. Also, the auto start/stop has taken getting used to. Sometimes as I'm slowing down the truck turns off but I don't actually stop so it has to start back up again quick. It's not a very smooth transition but I think once I get used to driving it it will feel better than my old setup.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only time I get lag is when you are coming to a stop, and the light changed just as the motor shuts off and I'm trying to move. But, it is ALOT less lag than any other vehicle with '***', in the same situation.

Etrq with 3.92's

Louhound88

Reaction score
I just got a '22 etorque with a 3.92 and initially thought it felt slower than my '15 hemi 3.21. It makes no sense, I think the what is happening is I'm just not used to driving the etorque and don't hit the gas as hard. I don't have a feel for the pedal yet. I'm almost at 1000 miles so we'll see if I get used to it. Also, the auto start/stop has taken getting used to. Sometimes as I'm slowing down the truck turns off but I don't actually stop so it has to start back up again quick. It's not a very smooth transition but I think once I get used to driving it it will feel better than my old setup.
I have a 2021 with etorque and mine is pretty responsive off the line. As in, I move my foot a hair on the brake pedal and the truck restarts and will want to roll forward a bit. I don't notice a delay at all from gas pedal press to response, like I have in other electronic throttle vehicles I've had. I've been reading that the '22 etorque is a little more agressive in terms of shut off and startup up. Maybe some delay has been added on start? Mine is very smooth though.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My non ET is pretty peppy off the line. It will break loose and squeal the tires, but 3.92 should be even better.

When I start to experience throttle lag, I perform the throttle relearn procedure.

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just test drove a 2021 limited with a 5.7 etorque (3.92) and a laramie 5.7 no etorque (3.21) and the limited seemed to lag a lot off the line compared to the Laramie. The Laramie was responsive and the limited felt sluggish, does that sound right? I am very confused by this experience.
Coming from a 6.2 Denali, this truck certainly feels different, but I don't notice more lag in this one versus the other Rams I test drove.

conesmacker

Reaction score
In my experience with my 5.7 eTorque, an eTorque start will accelerate differently than an aggressive throttle non-eTorque start.

I think the MGU start (motor-generator unit, which is the 'muscle' of the system) motors (meaning spins up to do its electric motor starting of the gas engine and moving the truck) only up to a certain RPM, and will never perform like a gas engine 'full throttle' start.

If I'm at a stoplight and I anticipate a need for fast acceleration, I'll watch the opposite direction traffic lights and anticpate my green, lifting off the brake before I need to, which starts the gas engine seamlessly back up. When I get my green light a quick moment later, then I'll hammer the accel pedal and get full gas engine performance.

If I'm at a stop, the eTorque start/stop is active, and my left foot is on the brake....if I floor the accel pedal with my right foot and then left off the brake, the truck will ease forward at the MGU/eTorque's normal speed for it's half of a wheel turn or so. When the gas engine relights, it will then lurch forward at the gas engine's higher acceleration capability, which is felt in my 'butt dynomometer'.

I perceive that eTorque's sole purpose is to increase fuel efficiency by making the 'at intersection start/stop process' more acceptable, and I think it does that job very well. The eTorque start/stops are MUCH more pleasant than other systems I've experienced that use only the traditional electric starter motor.

Louhound88

Reaction score
In my experience with my 5.7 eTorque, an eTorque start will accelerate differently than an aggressive throttle non-eTorque start.

I think the MGU start (motor-generator unit, which is the 'muscle' of the system) motors (meaning spins up to do its electric motor starting of the gas engine and moving the truck) only up to a certain RPM, and will never perform like a gas engine 'full throttle' start.

If I'm at a stoplight and I anticipate a need for fast acceleration, I'll watch the opposite direction traffic lights and anticpate my green, lifting off the brake before I need to, which starts the gas engine seamlessly back up. When I get my green light a quick moment later, then I'll hammer the accel pedal and get full gas engine performance.

If I'm at a stop, the eTorque start/stop is active, and my left foot is on the brake....if I floor the accel pedal with my right foot and then left off the brake, the truck will ease forward at the MGU/eTorque's normal speed for it's half of a wheel turn or so. When the gas engine relights, it will then lurch forward at the gas engine's higher acceleration capability, which is felt in my 'butt dynomometer'.

I perceive that eTorque's sole purpose is to increase fuel efficiency by making the 'at intersection start/stop process' more acceptable, and I think it does that job very well. The eTorque start/stops are MUCH more pleasant than other systems I've experienced that use only the traditional electric starter motor.
That's how I use mine too lol. If i'm on the brake but just barely enough to keep it in the auto "stop" mode, sometimes slipping out of it and not being prepared I'll feel my truck lurch a little from just the etorque. I'll time this to move quick from the brake to the gas pedal to get a good hard off the line acceleration. In 2wd i'll just slip and spin, then throttle is cutoff for traction control. But in 4 auto it can do some pretty impressive starts.

My wife's car has auto start/stop as well, but a typical system. The lag is so annoying that the first thing we do when we get in her car is just turn that off. So I agree the benefit of the etorque is to make the start/stop seemless enough so that people will actually use it. For me it really does help with MPG as I have several railroad crossings and long redlights to deal with everyday. The ability to sit on the brake for 5 minutes with the engine off while a train passes, keeps my MPG's closer to 17 than 15.

Users who are viewing this thread