5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETorque Issue

2ndAmend

Reaction score
These parts are also under warranty for 8 years so I don't really know what all the crying is about and if you read the "I bought the extended warranty" thread, it makes even less sense
I have a Ram built awaiting shipping and this warranty thing has me concerned, so I did some checking and this is what I found:

I cannot find anywhere any document or link to a Mopar site that confirms that any part of the eTorque is 8/80. You guys probably have read that some say it is part of the emissions, but there are claims dealers are not honoring that because it is not actually part of the emissions. Speculation is Mopar is looking for plausible deniability.

I contacted the dealer and waiting for a response. I chatted with Mopar Customer Service and he said he could not find any power pack warranty information and told me to contact the dealer. I asked him if I could escalate the request for information and he abruptly ended the chat.

I called Ram customer service and asked, and the rep took about 10min to research it and came back and said it was an electrical component covered under the basic 3/36 warranty.

Not liking how this is looking.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a Ram built awaiting shipping and this warranty thing has me concerned, so I did some checking and this is what I found:

I cannot find anywhere any document or link to a Mopar site that confirms that any part of the eTorque is 8/80. You guys probably have read that some say it is part of the emissions, but there are claims dealers are not honoring that because it is not actually part of the emissions. Speculation is Mopar is looking for plausible deniability.

I contacted the dealer and waiting for a response. I chatted with Mopar Customer Service and he said he could not find any power pack warranty information and told me to contact the dealer. I asked him if I could escalate the request for information and he abruptly ended the chat.

I called Ram customer service and asked, and the rep took about 10min to research it and came back and said it was an electrical component covered under the basic 3/36 warranty.

Not liking how this is looking.

see post 135

2ndAmend

Reaction score

see post 135
The link in the post does not work for me, apparently it is not active?

And though Zeigler says the battery pack is covered under the 8/80 "Federal Emission Warranty", they are not Mopar, and there are posts saying warranty has been denied because it is not part of emissions.

The key underlying issue is, Ram apparently has not agreed that the 8/80 applies to eTorque, and if I am wrong. please show me a Mopar source that says it is. I hope you do find it because I really want to find such a confirmation. Thanks.

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
this is from my warranty booklet page 7: (I attached the pdf)
B. PARTS COVERED FOR EIGHT YEARS OR 80,000 MILES
If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in “section 2.1 E”. The covered parts are:
• Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator — 3.6L, 5.7L With Belt Start Generator (BSG)
• Catalytic Converter
• Hybrid Control Processor — 3.6L, 5.7L With BSG
• Power Pack Unit (PPU) 48 Volts — 3.6L, 5.7L With BSG
• Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
• Transmission Control Module (TCM)

Attachments

• P138529_21_DT_G_GW_EN_US_DIGITAL.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

Ctmaz68

Reaction score

And though Zeigler says the battery pack is covered under the 8/80 "Federal Emission Warranty", they are not Mopar, and there are posts saying warranty has been denied because it is not part of emissions.

The key underlying issue is, Ram apparently has not agreed that the 8/80 applies to eTorque, and if I am wrong. please show me a Mopar source that says it is. I hope you do find it because I really want to find such a confirmation. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221005-154414_Ram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221005-154414_Ram.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20221005-154425_Ram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221005-154425_Ram.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20221005-154433_Ram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221005-154433_Ram.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 39

Ctmaz68

Reaction score

If you look at my post and the other post showing the factory warranty unfo, the E torque system is covered for 8/80 however the battery pack is not covered for 2022, but was covered for 2020 and 2021

2ndAmend

Reaction score
If you look at my post and the other post showing the factory warranty unfo, the E torque system is covered for 8/80 however the battery pack is not covered for 2022, but was covered for 2020 and 2021
Thanks.

I went from depressed, to flying high, now crashed into the rocks. This is all good info, exactly what I was looking for, not what I wanted to see, but what I needed to see, Thanks. You may have helped me avoid a (really another) big mistake.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks.

I went from depressed, to flying high, now crashed into the rocks. This is all good info, exactly what I was looking for, not what I wanted to see, but what I needed to see, Thanks. You may have helped me avoid a (really another) big mistake.

I dont think a handful of owners that have problem with etorque quantify that purchasing an etorque vehicle is a mistake. Further, I'm 100% certain that that same handful of owners wouldnt impact my opinion to buy what I wanted. If this was a 5%, 10%, 20%, 30% failure rate, I could understand the apprehension but what's likely less than 1% failure rate thats amplified by people who only post negative and never make a comment when the vehicle has no issues? No that means nothing to me.

Last edited:

2ndAmend

Reaction score
I dont think a handful of owners that have problem with etorque quantify that purchasing an etorque vehicle is a mistake. Further, I'm 100% certain that that same handful of owners would impact my opinion to buy what I wanted. If this was a 5%, 10%, 20%, 30% failure rate, I could understand the apprehension but what's likely less than 1% failure rate thats amplified by people who only post negative and never make a comment when the vehicle has no issues? No that means nothing to me.
Unfortunately we don't know the failure rate between years 3 and 8 yet which is why I am concerned about the possible change in warranty. If the failure rate were negligible, why such a drastic change?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately we don't know the failure rate between years 3 and 8 yet which is why I am concerned about the possible change in warranty. If the failure rate were negligible, why such a drastic change?
Many of us are on years 3 and 4 right now (over 4 years since delivery in my case). Very few eTorque incidents reported on this forum, and I don't personally know of anyone around here with issues. I imagine that battery sourcing has gotten a bit "sketchy" during the pandemic, so anything Stellantis can do to mitigate risk helps them with potential future costs. Also keep in mind that Ram was under different ownership and management when the 5th gen Ram was introduced.

2ndAmend

Reaction score
Update: It appears that Ram does not want anyone to know the warranty on the 2022 eTorque Power Pack. I could not find a Ram document anywhere that provides explicit terms. Ram chat said 5/60, Ram phone cust serv said 3/36, no one would provide documentation. The answer is, have your Service Manager print out a "Coverages Report". Mine came up showing, based on my VIN, that it is indeed covered for 8/80 under emissions. This is a huge relief.

Thank you to several guys in several forums attaching relevant documents to their posts that helped me figure it out. There is one guy that had the answer but I after reading myself blind over the past 3 days I can't find the post or name. He attached his "Coverages Report" but at the time I did not know it was from the dealer. He had it right, he is the clear winner! Whoever his is, thanks!

GaryT

Reaction score
Well, after just over 3 months, I was finally able to find a new MGU (eTorque generator) and install it. This is after going through 16 different dealers, all of which showed this part in stock, only to cancel the order within a day or two. I found mine at a local dealer who ordered one for a customer in March, they didnt pick the part up, so I got lucky. They did tell me that they recieved word from Ram that they do not currently have a supplier for this part. In late August, there were 29 leaving the warehouse that were all spoken for.
Warranty isnt relevant in my situation as my truck has 88K on it. One thing to note is that the install is relatively simple, but the part will not work out of the box. Mine wasnt charging and required a dealer flash to make it work. It did make the 5 mile drive to the dealer without any issue. I couldnt find this information anywhere prior to this, so I am noting it here for anyone else having this issue. The flash was $150, the part was $1488 with tax.

2ndAmend

Reaction score
Well, after just over 3 months, I was finally able to find a new MGU (eTorque generator) and install it. This is after going through 16 different dealers, all of which showed this part in stock, only to cancel the order within a day or two. I found mine at a local dealer who ordered one for a customer in March, they didnt pick the part up, so I got lucky. They did tell me that they recieved word from Ram that they do not currently have a supplier for this part. In late August, there were 29 leaving the warehouse that were all spoken for.
Warranty isnt relevant in my situation as my truck has 88K on it. One thing to note is that the install is relatively simple, but the part will not work out of the box. Mine wasnt charging and required a dealer flash to make it work. It did make the 5 mile drive to the dealer without any issue. I couldnt find this information anywhere prior to this, so I am noting it here for anyone else having this issue. The flash was $150, the part was $1488 with tax.
Scary.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a fan of the ET anyway, this thread will ensure I get rid of it before 80k miles. That is about 6 years and am only 2.5 years in. Would love to just convert over to non-ET.

jjasuta

Reaction score
My 2021 Ram 1500 is having issues with rapid battery drain and not really charging. When I replaced the battery it was fine at first, and now the voltage is below 12v when driving and has drained overnight. I already had the recall 23V-265 work done by the dealer and now I have this problem. I do not understand why I would have this problem if the recall work was completed and worked. My dealer cant get my truck in for over 10 days, and so it sits useless on my drive. Any assistance @RamCares any help you could provide would be great as well..

Any hints or help/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Gren71

Reaction score
My 2021 Ram 1500 is having issues with rapid battery drain and not really charging. When I replaced the battery it was fine at first, and now the voltage is below 12v when driving and has drained overnight. I already had the recall 23V-265 work done by the dealer and now I have this problem. I do not understand why I would have this problem if the recall work was completed and worked. My dealer cant get my truck in for over 10 days, and so it sits useless on my drive. Any assistance @RamCares any help you could provide would be great as well..

Any hints or help/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
are you having any symptoms of low power? Im new to the ram world but the battery in my gladiator started out around 14.2. after a couple years, and a few pcm/bcm flashes from the dealer for various recalls / upgrades / TSBs it would stay in the area of 111.5 - 12.5 while driving. I thought it was a problem and replaced the batteries only to find out that one of the computer upgrades was apparently changed the way the JT charged the batteries and the voltage readings were normal.

Personally I could take or leave the Etorque...I have one but knew NOTHING about it when I went ahead with the purchase. Not particularly concerned about the scuttlebutt on forums with issues and such. I learned a LOT from the jeep world and one lesson was that sometimes ya have to ignore the chatter. The whole etorque systems seems to do basically noting IMO. I see no input from it on my daily use... so as far as im concerned its not even there hahaha. I also think the 3.21 rear I test drove was way more peppy than the 3.92 I bought 🤷‍♂️ so perhaps some of the issues or concerns are use input based.

jjasuta

Reaction score
are you having any symptoms of low power? Im new to the ram world but the battery in my gladiator started out around 14.2. after a couple years, and a few pcm/bcm flashes from the dealer for various recalls / upgrades / TSBs it would stay in the area of 111.5 - 12.5 while driving. I thought it was a problem and replaced the batteries only to find out that one of the computer upgrades was apparently changed the way the JT charged the batteries and the voltage readings were normal.

Personally I could take or leave the Etorque...I have one but knew NOTHING about it when I went ahead with the purchase. Not particularly concerned about the scuttlebutt on forums with issues and such. I learned a LOT from the jeep world and one lesson was that sometimes ya have to ignore the chatter. The whole etorque systems seems to do basically noting IMO. I see no input from it on my daily use... so as far as im concerned its not even there hahaha. I also think the 3.21 rear I test drove was way more peppy than the 3.92 I bought 🤷‍♂️ so perhaps some of the issues or concerns are use input based.
thanks for the input, with the new battery installed, it took all weekend but everything is back to normal and the check engine light even cleared itself. I will continue to monitor, but for now, just happy to have it working again.

Anchor Down

Reaction score
I had mine replaced last week. It's covered under the 8 year/80,000 mile federal emissions warranty. Have them check your manifolds while they are at it. Mine needed replaced and it was also covered.

Users who are viewing this thread