5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque impact on mpg

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My eTorque 2020 Limited is averaging 17.8-18.5 in 80/20 city/highway driving. I'm currently at 5000 miles and overall fuel economy has been 415-430 miles per tank (23 gallon tank) consistently. I've been on a purely highway drive once so far and it was 24mpg at 70mph.
You got a etorque limited with a 23 gallon tank? That must have been a change for 2020? My 2019 etorque limited has a 26 gallon tank standard

BowDown

Reaction score
You got a etorque limited with a 23 gallon tank? That must have been a change for 2020? My 2019 etorque limited has a 26 gallon tank standard

meant 26 gallon tank. Its a 26 gallon tank that has 3 gallons in reserve that the gauge doesn't read, ergo, 23 usable gallons and 3 reserve. I don't drive until its on the 26th gallon, usually my refills are 23.5-24 gallons so my math is based on the refill amount which is usually 23 gallons

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The RAM engineer in Matt Maran's video awhile back claimed 1.7 ounces of fuel is burned in 90 seconds with a HEMI... so 1.3 ounces per minute. He also claims "most" people are stopped for about 15 minutes per day. He must be taking an average including dense city folk who are in gridlock traffic, and almost certainly aren't driving fullsize pickups (gotta love marketing). Anyway, let's jkust assume eTorque stops the engine for that duration... every day... you would save 55 gallons of fuel per year, or $110 assuming $2/gal. I am not stopped for 15 minutes per day with the engine off with traffic where I live (obviously this will vary greatly person to person). I would say maybe 2-3 minutes tops in a typical day, and I don't drive every day. The start/stop function works out to be saving 1.7 CENTS PER MINUTE at $2/gal. It's damn near worthless IMO for saving money at stops unless you truly do stop a lot and don't have the HVAC keeping the truck running constantly.

Apart from that, there are other unquantified fuel savings: during gear shifting, and MDS supposedly operating in a larger range. I coud be wrong, but possibly some savings if electricity is generated at 48V since it'd run less amps (and heat), but there may also be a loss since we're converting voltages somewhere to/from 12V for the majority of the truck's systems.

I primarily enjoy the smooth shifting from eTorque (which also saves fuel as mentioned, and some transmission wear). It's also relaxing having the truck be dead smooth/silent when the engine is off at a stop, but other than those 2 things, eTorque goes largely unnoticed. The regen braking feel is pretty minimal, but there if you pay attention. I think it's worth the money right now, but if it proves unreliable long term, my opinion would certainly change.

BB22

Reaction score
2022 Ram Rebel with E Torque, 392 gears. 1000 miles on it. I've been averaging about 16.6 mpg so far, 44% city 56% highway. Very disappointed in the mpg. My 2017 Ram 5.7 with 3.23 gears averaged 17.5 mpg. Even with the difference in the gearing, I would have expected the Rebel to at least match the mpgs I was getting with my 2017. The concept of the E Torque is good but the actual results are not worth the expense of the system.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2022 Ram Rebel with E Torque, 392 gears. 1000 miles on it. I've been averaging about 16.6 mpg so far, 44% city 56% highway. Very disappointed in the mpg. My 2017 Ram 5.7 with 3.23 gears averaged 17.5 mpg. Even with the difference in the gearing, I would have expected the Rebel to at least match the mpgs I was getting with my 2017. The concept of the E Torque is good but the actual results are not worth the expense of the system.
You lost less than a mile per gallon on a truck with 3.92 gears and larger tires(unless your 2017 was modified) that most likely also weighs more and you are dissapointed.

eTorque is mostly to make stop/start seemless...and it does make shifting smoother...when comparing the same truck.

Comparing a 4th Gen with 3.23 to a 5th Gen Rebel and only losing .9 MPG...i think you have a win.

My opinion.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You lost less than a mile per gallon on a truck with 3.92 gears and larger tires(unless your 2017 was modified) that most likely also weighs more and you are dissapointed.

eTorque is mostly to make stop/start seemless...and it does make shifting smoother...when comparing the same truck.

Comparing a 4th Gen with 3.23 to a 5th Gen Rebel and only losing .9 MPG...i think you have a win.

My opinion.
Agreed…gearing and tires have a huge impact.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
There is no difference in cost between a 2022 Rebel with or without eTorque.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No two trucks, whether outfitted the same or not, will EVER perform the same. Too many differences in parts and assembly to count. But that said, driving style/habits, i.e. stop start, traffic, freeway speeds, etc.. etc., have a huge impact on mileage. It's a truck, not a sleek fuel efficient car, and weighs 6000#. On average, the rest of us get a similar number +/-.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Maybe I'll turn off my Auto-Stop for two weeks and see if I notice a change. That would be the best comparison, same truck, same driver, same route, same everything except the absence of Auto-Stop.

I've been getting 17.2 MPG in the city on a 24 mile round trip to work, with a total 32 stop lights (using non-ethanol). I've been trying to see how high I can get the the MPG number so I've been driving very conservatively: never get over 2,000 RPM leaving a stop light, I do the speed limit, I do not pass anyone who is doing the speed limit, I coast to red lights rather than stay on the gas just so I can get there and stop (then have to get back up to speed), etc.

I'd be curious to see what I get without the Start/Stop feature.

I'm good with the 17.2 MPG. It's as good as I've ever gotten in a full sized 4x4, 8 cyl truck. My highway miles are the same as my 11 year old F150 though...15 to 16 MPG at 70 Miles Per Hour.

Now I have to see if I can remember to push the "off" button every day for two weeks. :ROFLMAO: That will be the most difficult part of the test.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see about a 2MPG improvement on my trip back and fourth to go with lots of stop and go. My 2014 equipped with the same gearing got 14 and this truck gets 16-16.5.

smashweights

Reaction score
Fun observation, but I noticed my eHemi mpg was dropping this fall. Was getting about 16.5 in mainly city commuting originally and was getting closer to 15.0 suddenly. Then my battery kicked the bucket. Since getting the new battery getting back to 16.5 consistently. Assume this is from ET not always trying to charge the 12V constantly and actually having enough ET power to use start stop.

Derek916

Reaction score
Fun observation, but I noticed my eHemi mpg was dropping this fall. Was getting about 16.5 in mainly city commuting originally and was getting closer to 15.0 suddenly. Then my battery kicked the bucket. Since getting the new battery getting back to 16.5 consistently. Assume this is from ET not always trying to charge the 12V constantly and actually having enough ET power to use start stop.
Your eTorque battery or car battery?

two things I noticed since been stuck on Honolulu relying on public transit:

1. air ride suspension isn’t that new of technology (used in busses to help senior citizens)

2. lots of cars now have the auto start stop. While walking it’s pretty funny. It’s like hearing a bunch of babies burp.

Reverse

Reaction score
I used to drive a 2014 Big Horn, now drive a 2020 Limited (my wife still drives the 2014).

Big Horn had no fuel saving features, Limited has eTorque, grille shuitters, aero mode, powered airdam, auto start/stop. Trucks are within 200lbs of eachother. Both have 3.92.

Mileage on same commute (mostly 45-55mph country roads) is 1 to 1.5mpg better in the 2014 Big Horn.

I am not too bothered by it, but do wonder why the long list of doodads doesn't save me any fuel.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Start stop uses a different battery

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I used to drive a 2014 Big Horn, now drive a 2020 Limited (my wife still drives the 2014).

Big Horn had no fuel saving features, Limited has eTorque, grille shuitters, aero mode, powered airdam, auto start/stop. Trucks are within 200lbs of eachother. Both have 3.92.

Mileage on same commute (mostly 45-55mph country roads) is 1 to 1.5mpg better in the 2014 Big Horn.

I am not too bothered by it, but do wonder why the long list of doodads doesn't save me any fuel.
I think that would have to do with the weight of the two trucks more than anything . Obviously I can't see your weight sticker on them so it's just a guess on my part .

smashweights

Reaction score
Your eTorque battery or car battery?

two things I noticed since been stuck on Honolulu relying on public transit:

1. air ride suspension isn’t that new of technology (used in busses to help senior citizens)

2. lots of cars now have the auto start stop. While walking it’s pretty funny. It’s like hearing a bunch of babies burp.
The 12V died
Start stop uses a different battery
Yes I am aware. But if the 12V is dying and not holding charge well, the ET battery will notice the low voltage and constantly be discharging in an attempt to recharge the 12V battery. If the ET charge is low as a result of stands to reason that stop start will not engage often or for as long and possibly reduced MDS time while cruising

Reverse

Reaction score
I think that would have to do with the weight of the two trucks more than anything . Obviously I can't see your weight sticker on them so it's just a guess on my part .
Like I said, they're within 200lbs of eachother.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stop/ start on vehicles is for emissions. So the exhaust is not being expelled. Saving fuel is just a by product of the engine being off.

eTorque goes one step further and allows for the ac and heat to remain on longer...the electric draw of entertainment systems to be handled and for the starter nit to take a beating.

And it allows torque to be used when restarting the truck to make it seemless...and help with towing a trailer or hauling a load(what a truck is for)

eTorque also alows for smoother transition between shifts...for emissions...ever been behind a deleted and tuned diesel when it shifts.

Now...this is the dumbed down version...i know 20 members will be here to use bigger words to describe the same thing...and 20 will tell me I am stupid...but it is the reality.

Losing .9 MPG can easily be remedied by your driving habits.

When I use my truck...my mileage is about 13 on a trip. When I want to save fuel...i have gotten 18.4. Same truck. Same driver...all I did was change my driving habit.

Same thing with any truck

When I was in my 20s...my dad and I both had 360 V8 Dodge Ram trucks. We filled up every week at the same place...our boss paid a fill up each week. I struggled to pull off 10Mpg...my Dad...he was pulling down 16 mpg. So dad got cash back at the fill up...i broke even most times. Now I have that driving habit...it is much better place to be. But it all changes when my Son says Dad...let that Hemi eat...hahaha

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stop/ start on vehicles is for emissions. So the exhaust is not being expelled. Saving fuel is just a by product of the engine being off.

eTorque goes one step further and allows for the ac and heat to remain on longer...the electric draw of entertainment systems to be handled and for the starter nit to take a beating.

And it allows torque to be used when restarting the truck to make it seemless...and help with towing a trailer or hauling a load(what a truck is for)

eTorque also alows for smoother transition between shifts...for emissions...ever been behind a deleted and tuned diesel when it shifts.

Now...this is the dumbed down version...i know 20 members will be here to use bigger words to describe the same thing...and 20 will tell me I am stupid...but it is the reality.

Losing .9 MPG can easily be remedied by your driving habits.

When I use my truck...my mileage is about 13 on a trip. When I want to save fuel...i have gotten 18.4. Same truck. Same driver...all I did was change my driving habit.

Same thing with any truck

When I was in my 20s...my dad and I both had 360 V8 Dodge Ram trucks. We filled up every week at the same place...our boss paid a fill up each week. I struggled to pull off 10Mpg...my Dad...he was pulling down 16 mpg. So dad got cash back at the fill up...i broke even most times. Now I have that driving habit...it is much better place to be. But it all changes when my Son says Dad...let that Hemi eat...hahaha
I agree with you on it’s all driving habits. I’ve averaged low 17’s on a tank while driving it casually and I’ve also gotten 21-22mpg on a tank while really watching the pedal. People will say it’s due to the road, weather or whatever but I’ve driven the same stretch of road and received two different numbers while going easy on it. If you keep the instant MPG displayed on your screen you can see how just a millimeter or two of the gas pedal changes your instant MPG from what could have been 20-24 to 16-18 easily.

Users who are viewing this thread