5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque Hemi Oil Filter

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Ram Ranch

Reaction score

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Too many varying reviews on the Fram... better stick with my tried and true WIX XP filters.
I was using Mopar OEM until I had one with lousy a check valve and lifter noise at start up. Made the switch to WIX after I found out they were Mann-Hummel. Used Mann filters for years when I drove eurotrash

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I worked in autoparts before, please do not use a fram filter.
There is nothing wrong with Fram filters....been using them for 15 years on all different vehicles ..never any problems. But of course noone in the right mind would keep the same oil filter on for over 10k+ miles...that's crazy.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Too many varying reviews on the Fram... better stick with my tried and true WIX XP filters.
Most of the people that give Fram a negative review are the ones that don't change them when they're suppose to.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every 5K miles baby...oil and filter change like clock work!
Hehe, I've been pushing mine to every 6k miles. Exactly 6k or a little under. It's so funny how these oil brands are like: "guaranteed to protect for 10k miles" I'm like....protect what? Lol.

Runagun

Reaction score
We can agree to disagree. Any HIGH QUALITY filter and oil will allow your engine to last forever. I am not saying to use a "crap" filter. But even the OEM filter changed out every 5K miles with a high quality 5W20 full synthetic will have zero issues. If spending all of that money for Amsoil makes you feel better, then do it. I used to be that way and became a distributor when I was 20 years younger. Then I realized that Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline, Castrol, etc. (all very high quality oils) used with a solid filter like a $10 Mobil 1 or a WIX-XP will yield the same results at less than half the cost. I researched the crap out filters and selected the WIX-XP as my go-to for excellent protection. I can guarantee you that using a MOPAR filter with a good quality oil, versus Amsoil with a $20 filter, will net the same long-term results. Your truck will not fail based on engine wear and lubricity, but everything else that will ultimately go wrong as the truck ages.
That's the thing 5k miles. Amsoil market is yess we cost more but you can Go 10k-15k+ miles on oil change. Synthetic molucoles in oil never go bad. It's the additives that start to wear and lose their properties. Add the dirt from combustion from dirt that goes through the air filter. Is what causes synthetic oils to need change. The biggest wear on a motor is the start up. So the film of oil has to stay where the motor gets shut off. Then add the change of seasons for many. In colder areas the oil thickens. This is where Amsoil beats all other manufacturers on quality and longevity. I've tried every major oil. Was a dealer for many of the higher end ones. From being castrol to mobil 1 to royal purple to settling on Amsoil. For a private company to still be in business against the top dogs. Says soemthing about their products. I don't sell no own any piece of the company. I care about our trucks even yours. Such a great piece of equipment. Anyway good luck enjoy the holidays.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's the thing 5k miles. Amsoil market is yess we cost more but you can Go 10k-15k+ miles on oil change. Synthetic molucoles in oil never go bad. It's the additives that start to wear and lose their properties. Add the dirt from combustion from dirt that goes through the air filter. Is what causes synthetic oils to need change. The biggest wear on a motor is the start up. So the film of oil has to stay where the motor gets shut off. Then add the change of seasons for many. In colder areas the oil thickens. This is where Amsoil beats all other manufacturers on quality and longevity. I've tried every major oil. Was a dealer for many of the higher end ones. From being castrol to mobil 1 to royal purple to settling on Amsoil. For a private company to still be in business against the top dogs. Says soemthing about their products. I don't sell no own any piece of the company. I care about our trucks even yours. Such a great piece of equipment. Anyway good luck enjoy the holidays.
I hear ya...for me...Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra is an EXCELLENT and highly respected oil. I buy 5 quart jugs cheap at Walmart or Amazon (just bought 3 jugs off Amazon of PP Ultra for $20.97 each on sale). I also use a VERY high quality WIX-XP filter that performed just a well as the Amsoil filter. I buy those for $7 each in a 4 pack from RockAuto.com. To do a 5K oil change, to me, makes perfect sense. Oil changes are cheap and no reason to go longer than 5K - 7.5K on an oil change that would cost me $37 to perform ;)

Runagun

Reaction score
I hear ya...for me...Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra is an EXCELLENT and highly respected oil. I buy 5 quart jugs cheap at Walmart or Amazon (just bought 3 jugs off Amazon of PP Ultra for $20.97 each on sale). I also use a VERY high quality WIX-XP filter that performed just a well as the Amsoil filter. I buy those for $7 each in a 4 pack from RockAuto.com. To do a 5K oil change, to me, makes perfect sense. Oil changes are cheap and no reason to go longer than 5K - 7.5K on an oil change that would cost me $37 to perform ;)
Ultra Platinum I heard is some good stuff.. If i didn't use Amsoil that would be my next choice. Here's a video by project farm. I'm a big fan of his YouTube videos testing products. If you care to see here's the link.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Those silly oil "tests" done by Project Farm are nothing more than middles school science fair projects and do not accurately represent an oils performance in an engine and are totally worthless. If someone is genuinely interested in oil testing then I highly recommend they download and read the American Petroleum Institute document known as API 1509. API 1509 outlines all of the tests that a product is required to pass before it can be certified by the API and display the API service symbol donut on their containers. These tests are conducted by trained professionals in state of the art labs using state of the art equipment under strict ASTM testing protocols.

In addition to the API testing all of the major brands have also passed General Motors Dexos 1 Generation 2 testing in the appropriate grades so they can display the Dexos label on the containers. It's also worth reading about the testing a product has to pass in order to meet the D1G2 certification, some of which are even tougher than the API. One example is the Noack volatility test. The API requires volatility be less than 15% while the D1G2 test requires it to be less than 13%, and the official Noack testing is done using very sophisticated equipment, not a hot plate in some guys garage.

There is a reason companies like SOPUS, Valvoline, Mobil, ConocoPhillips, Chevron, Warren and others don't send samples of their products to Project Farm and ask him to run out to his garage and conduct some of his "tests" for them.

Runagun

Reaction score
Those silly oil "tests" done by Project Farm are nothing more than middles school science fair projects and do not accurately represent an oils performance in an engine and are totally worthless. If someone is genuinely interested in oil testing then I highly recommend they download and read the American Petroleum Institute document known as API 1509. API 1509 outlines all of the tests that a product is required to pass before it can be certified by the API and display the API service symbol donut on their containers. These tests are conducted by trained professionals in state of the art labs using state of the art equipment under strict ASTM testing protocols.

In addition to the API testing all of the major brands have also passed General Motors Dexos 1 Generation 2 testing in the appropriate grades so they can display the Dexos label on the containers. It's also worth reading about the testing a product has to pass in order to meet the D1G2 certification, some of which are even tougher than the API. One example is the Noack volatility test. The API requires volatility be less than 15% while the D1G2 test requires it to be less than 13%, and the official Noack testing is done using very sophisticated equipment, not a hot plate in some guys garage.

There is a reason companies like SOPUS, Valvoline, Mobil, ConocoPhillips, Chevron, Warren and others don't send samples of their products to Project Farm and ask him to run out to his garage and conduct some of his "tests" for them.
Exactly,. Cause it's nice to set low bars for oil to pass through. If you where to say a independent test facility that doesn't get paid from the people there testing oil from. You'd get more credence but throw in alot of money at them they can turn shyt to gold. Any industry that regulates themselves take that with a Grain of salt. I got a stamp for you send me money.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
I see. So you trust testing done by an amateur in his garage with a hot plate and a GoPro camera but not ASTM testing done by professionals in real laboratories under controlled conditions that are subject to audit and review. One independent organization, The Petroleum Quality Institute of America, routinely tests samples purchased from retailers shelves to assure quality. But, that’s probably not as good as what PF does in his garage.

The oil companies and auto makers are staking their warranty and reputation on the oils passing these tests and it’s how they can offer quality products to the consumer. Auto makers don’t want their customers putting poor quality oil in their engines because they are the ones having to pay out warranty claims when an engine fails. That’s why GM’s D1G2 rated oils are so good, they forced the oil companies to produce even higher quality products that will protect theirs and other non GM engines and warranties. And FCA, Ford, Honda and all of the other auto makers recommend oils that have been tested in ASTM labs be used in their engines, not which one Project Farms decided was the best based on his "tests".

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see. So you trust testing done by an amateur in his garage with a hot plate and a GoPro camera but not ASTM testing done by professionals in real laboratories under controlled conditions that are subject to audit and review. One independent organization, The Petroleum Quality Institute of America, routinely tests samples purchased from retailers shelves to assure quality. But, that’s probably not as good as what PF does in his garage.

The oil companies and auto makers are staking their warranty and reputation on the oils passing these tests and it’s how they can offer quality products to the consumer. Auto makers don’t want their customers putting poor quality oil in their engines because they are the ones having to pay out warranty claims when an engine fails. That’s why GM’s D1G2 rated oils are so good, they forced the oil companies to produce even higher quality products that will protect theirs and other non GM engines and warranties. And FCA, Ford, Honda and all of the other auto makers recommend oils that have been tested in ASTM labs be used in their engines, not which one Project Farms decided was the best based on his "tests".
An assessment of Project Farm from bobistheoilguy (the definitive oil forum): https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/project-farm-synthetic-oil-comparisons.310325/

Runagun

Reaction score

No one said he's the holy grail for anything. Pqia doesn't even do testing of whose better then another oil. All it does it puts them into categories. So now tell me who funds the pqia? You say it's independent but who funds them? Just cause they can put a tag on doesn't mean anything when you already make the rules up yourselves. Now while taking funds from the industry. It's like wolves saying yeah we'll protect the sheep don't worry. Yess it's designated what oil is what for the industry. They don't give a shyt about the consumer What's best or not. It's for the car manufacturers to get money.

Bwsteg

Reaction score
When I search the Mobil M1-113A, most stores say that filter doesn’t fit the new ram 1500. Only advance auto parts says it does. Can anyone confirm that’s the correct filter for a 2020 1500 5.7 etorque?

Users who are viewing this thread