5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etorque Battery Life

Kflinto

Reaction score
What happens if the etorque battery dies after a while? Is that a possibility and what will that do to the engine configuration?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
The battery is always being charged, whenever you're coasting its getting some juice. I wouldn't worry about it dying.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think @Kflinto means when it dies as if it needs to be replaced after a significant amount of time.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Ahhh I see, someone said it’s covered under the Powertrain warranty so you should be good until then. But I also heard it’s around $1500 to replace.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ahhh I see, someone said it’s covered under the Powertrain warranty so you should be good until then. But I also heard it’s around $1500 to replace.
Seems like alot of this is hear say. I would like to see warranty document saying its covered under the powertrain and a document showing its $1500. both of these are hard to believe for me.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Seems like alot of this is hear say. I would like to see warranty document saying its covered under the powertrain and a document showing its $1500. both of these are hard to believe for me.
Yep not positive, just what I read on here. You’d have to call your parts department on that one.

Kflinto

Reaction score
Ya exactly @alacombe batteries don’t last forever regardless how they charge. The cells will eventually die, etc. I would like to see this written somewhere for validation.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ya exactly @alacombe batteries don’t last forever regardless how they charge. The cells will eventually die, etc. I would like to see this written somewhere for validation.
Same here. I like seeing this on a written document/warranty by FCA not just hear say from a dealership or through other people.

Northeast16SS

Reaction score

Looks like I'll be trading my 2019 in before the power train warranty expires.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
My dad has a 07 Prius that is running strong. My 13 Volt doesn't show any degradation from when it was new. Battery design/chemistry plays an important role in longevity. I don't expect the battery to be a problem in these, but there is more risk considering it's a newer application. During my research, I found anecdotal evidence they were designed to last the life of the vehicle, which i'm not going to dispute. If there is an issue, they are relatively easy to access. I think an alternator would be more likely to fail over e-torque. But only time will tell.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I'll need to dig the warranty booklet out of the glovebox. I'm thinking about getting the extended warranty next year if, I'm still as happy with the truck as I am now. Meaning I am considering hanging on to it for a while. As far as coverage of the etorque battery..... If it is covered or not it won't be a determining factor of keeping it or not.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I'm going to get the lifetime warranty but I'll be asking about the etorque coverage before I hand over my credit card number.

Chris

Reaction score
Economics of scale will likely save you on cost by the time these are no longer covered by the warranty, as more and more vehicles are adding hybrid technology and requiring more batteries to be mass produced.

24 kWh Nissan Leaf (ours is only 0.4 kWh, 2% of the Leaf) batteries are $6k new, but will be getting refurbished and sold for $3k:
https://insideevs.com/nissan-introd...es-for-older-leaf-in-japan-from-new-4r-plant/

A start-up is aggressively pursuing manufacturing for $80 per kWh:
https://www.greentechmedia.com/arti...y-costs-below-80-per-kilowatt-hour#gs.zPO0rwc

Research shows the existing electric vehicle battery costs have dropped 60% over the last 10 years:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.technologyreview.com/p/pub/legacy/jan11_feature_electric_cars_p61.pdf

A government study showing the market for batteries and demand for mass production significantly increasing:
https://www.eia.gov/analysis/studies/electricity/batterystorage/pdf/battery_storage.pdf

The economies of scale have proven time and again that expensive technology gets much cheaper as it stagnates; LCD screens are a prime example, with costs being only 10% of what they were 15 years ago. It doesn't get much more stagnant then battery technology, and the demand is exploding as more devices make use of it.

The biggest risk is supply being bottlenecked by resources such as lithium and other rare earth minerals; the planet only has so much, and the more that is needed, the harder it is to find. Recycling will help to a large degree, since you can't just throw an old 18 cubic foot 1 ton battery in the trash and the only way to replace or dispose of it will be through a recycling center; however, that doesn't stop the other 90% of the small batteries from going right in the waste bin unless a significant refund is offered for them (e.g. a core charge for cell phone batteries when you recycle an old phone or swap batteries).

Personally, I am confident that my battery will be covered by some kind of warranty while it is still expensive, and will be relatively cheap to replace by the time the warranty expires; I'm expecting somewhere in the ball-park of the cost of two lead-acid 12-volt batteries.

PTK1412

Reaction score
Yep not positive, just what I read on here. You’d have to call your parts department on that one.
The battery on my 2019 just went out. Cause the truck to randomly shut off when in low idle. Battery cost 2700 but is covered by Federal Emissions Warranty 8 Years/ 80,000 miles

script

Reaction score
The battery on my 2019 just went out. Cause the truck to randomly shut off when in low idle. Battery cost 2700 but is covered by Federal Emissions Warranty 8 Years/ 80,000 miles
Glad to hear it's covered under warranty. Not excited to hear of these dying after just 4 years. Is $2,700 including labor or is that the cost for just the battery?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's covered under warranty. Not excited to hear of these dying after just 4 years. Is $2,700 including labor or is that the cost for just the battery?
The battery should cost $1500.
Not sure where the $2000 is coming from.

Assuming ram keeps them in stock and you can actually get one. I know most people wait several months to get a replacement even under warranty during that time the truck can't be driven.

Users who are viewing this thread