5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETorque ? Anyone happy with it? Reliability ?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I seem to see more people with problems that have a limited trim, or Laramie trim...not as many problems with Bighorn, sport or base models...at least it seems that way.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I seem to see more people with problems that have a limited trim, or Laramie trim...not as many problems with Bighorn, sport or base models...at least it seems that way.
What...not even an honorary mention for the Rebel models? :p

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Between here and Reddit, you'd think the vehicles are junk.

I've recently been shopping for a Travel Trailer - same story. Join any enthusiast group for anything - and all you'll hear are the problems people had, the modifications they had to make to overcome said problems. You never hear about the guy that bought his truck, used it for a decade and traded it in with no problem, ever :)

I could not agree more. I am and have been on other vehicle forums and it is always the same, problems only, never outright praise . I for one am extremely happy with my choice of trucks and if I do have any problems I can just come here for the solution. :)

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Between here and Reddit, you'd think the vehicles are junk.

I've recently been shopping for a Travel Trailer - same story. Join any enthusiast group for anything - and all you'll hear are the problems people had, the modifications they had to make to overcome said problems. You never hear about the guy that bought his truck, used it for a decade and traded it in with no problem, ever :)

Exactly. I have a 2003 Ram 1500 with 277,000 miles on it. Had to replace the radiator, rebuild the differential and replace a broken valve spring a around 150-170K miles.
I've read repeatedly that Gen 3s were junk yet I had virtually no problems from my truck, makes me wonder how some take care of their vehicles

Bluesurf

Reaction score
All of this unaddressed crap that FCA turns a blind eye is going to cost them in the long run. It will cost us too in trade. Two good friends were all set to buy 1500 Limited's and asked me my thoughts a=on the purchases. I honestly told them about my screen going black or blue, and now the GRINDING in my steering. They walked from the purchases. One friend was buying the Tundra. Not sure what Al was going to do yet. I feeling sorry for my purchase. I love the look and the features when they work. The crazy thing is there has been ZERO updates to resolve these issues. Re loading the same old software accomplishes nothing but my not having my truck for days.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
All of this unaddressed crap that FCA turns a blind eye is going to cost them in the long run. It will cost us too in trade. Two good friends were all set to buy 1500 Limited's and asked me my thoughts a=on the purchases. I honestly told them about my screen going black or blue, and now the GRINDING in my steering. They walked from the purchases. One friend was buying the Tundra. Not sure what Al was going to do yet. I feeling sorry for my purchase. I love the look and the features when they work. The crazy thing is there has been ZERO updates to resolve these issues. Re loading the same old software accomplishes nothing but my not having my truck for days.
Haha i have the grinding too... it was such a small issue compared to others I have, I didn't even address it with the dealer :D

silver billet

Reaction score

That's quite incorrect. Ram is on the up, selling more and more each year. They have a long ways to go before it hurts them financially due to customers leaving, vs spending more money on quality control and fixing issues etc. Your two buddies aren't even a drop in the bucket to them, sorry. You would need many thousands upon thousands to walk away to start causing them financial damage, and whatever your buddies are buying are just a different set of problems for a higher cost (Ram is cheaper than Ford, Chevy/GM, and probably Toyota, truck for truck). Pick your posion, no customer is winning here.

BowDown

Reaction score

If your buddies decided against buying a Ram on the word of one person, they weren't really looking at Rams seriously to begin with.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your buddies decided against buying a Ram on the word of one person, they weren't really looking at Rams seriously to begin with.
That's a good point, there's way more horror stories on the new GMs and Ford's any day of the week. Although...I was seriously considering a Titan or Tundra before I bought my Ram...got a great deal on my Ram though. The interesting thing is now Titan has the best warranty of all of them.

wmak

Reaction score
Have you gotten the PP part yet? I have exactly the same problem with the e-torque. My truck was towed back to a dealer since mid Oct., nobody at the dealer or even the district office of Ram can tell me when are they going to get the part. The dealer can't even get me a loaner truck after two and and a half months. This is F***ing Ridiculous.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Have you gotten the PP part yet? I have exactly the same problem with the e-torque. My truck was towed back to a dealer since mid Oct., nobody at the dealer or even the district office of Ram can tell me when are they going to get the part. The dealer can't even get me a loaner truck after two and and a half months. This is F***ing Ridiculous.
WOW! My truck was at the shop for 29 days waiting on a new PP.
Part # is 68372205AC

Chino2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some quick answers here! I'm currently in the process of potentially trading in my 20' Gladiator for a 20' Ram Rebel. It has the 5.7L ETorque with 12" UConnect and Panoramic roof. It looks BEAUTIFUL. I need it for the towing capacity.

However, I'm very hesitant of committing to it because of the MANY problems I've read about the ETorque. I know when you log onto these forums, you hear more complaints about stuff like this, so I wanted to see if anyone is happy with there ETorque system or if there are too many reliability concerns. I LOVE my Jeep Gladiator and I don't want to get into something that will break down any time soon.

So, what are your thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Adrian
Brother you are going from riding a mule to riding a cloud on steroids! I had a Rubicon four door and change it for my Rebel with a 5.7 plus eTorque without no problems after 25k miles doing frequent 4x4 trips and hauling a 24 foot Chaparral. I say go for it!

Reaction score
42K on mine with no issues, averaging 22mpg combined driving, 5.7. I do believe the eTorque system adds 225 pounds over the normal 5.7.
Damn. And extra 225lbs. Sheesh. I just bought a 2021 Longhorn 5.7L eTorque. I have about 200 miles on it. No issues. Its a smooth quick start up when coming off the brake at a red light. My V6 Grand Cherokee squeeled like a kicked dog all the time and had a 3 nano second delay.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Damn. And extra 225lbs. Sheesh. I just bought a 2021 Longhorn 5.7L eTorque. I have about 200 miles on it. No issues. Its a smooth quick start up when coming off the brake at a red light. My V6 Grand Cherokee squeeled like a kicked dog all the time and had a 3 nano second delay.
It adds 80 lb.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m about to hit 9,000 miles and 8 months of ownership on my Hemi w/ ETorque. I’ve not driven a non-etorque model to compare gear shifting but honestly I could take it or leave it. I’ve had zero issues with my truck after getting the spring fiasco resolved. I don’t think it’s a feature I’d seek out on my next truck but I also wouldn’t be afraid of purchasing one from the lot that had the etorque.

*knock on wood* Hopefully everything continues on flawlessly.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I’m about to hit 9,000 miles and 8 months of ownership on my Hemi w/ ETorque. I’ve not driven a non-etorque model to compare gear shifting but honestly I could take it or leave it. I’ve had zero issues with my truck after getting the spring fiasco resolved. I don’t think it’s a feature I’d seek out on my next truck but I also wouldn’t be afraid of purchasing one from the lot that had the etorque.

*knock on wood* Hopefully everything continues on flawlessly.
From a dead stop the PentaStar V-6 feels like its supercharged.

Traveller

Reaction score
From what I'm hearing the eTorque in the Hemi is made by a different company than the Pentastars eTorque system. The one in the Pentastar is built by, I believe, Continental while the one in the Hemi is built by an Italian company? Anyway, the eTorque motor in the Pentastars are awesome but I've heard of a few failures with the Hemi eTorques.
All I know is I was just in the market for a new used truck and there are plenty of ETorques on the lots in my neck of the woods with abnormally low mileage and priced below non-ETorques with higher mileages. That tells me the previous owners traded out of them due to problems so I didnt bite on the new technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/