5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque: 6 Things You Probably Didn't Know

Ram19Va

Reaction score
Thanks for info on Pulsar. I talked with another person who has it and they stated they feel a slight lurch as well with it.

For the +, you only hit it once? I usually hit it till it goes up to 8.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with how the system operates and I can't find anything in the manual about it. Can someone point me to it in the owner's manual?
Pressing the gear up button until it says "8" just keeps the engine from going into 4 cylinder mode, the transmission acts exactly the same.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with how the system operates and I can't find anything in the manual about it. Can someone point me to it in the owner's manual?
The feature is actually called "gear limit". There is a +/- button set on the lower right of the steering wheel used to select the highest gear allowed. Pressing the "-" button limits top gear to 8th. Pressing again decrements to 7th, etc. Pressing the "+" increments to higher gears. After 8th, one more "+" press disables Nax Gear. MDS is disabled when Gear Limit is active so pressing "-" once sets MDS off with 8th as the highest allowable gear.

Edit: the +/- may start increment/decrement from whatever gear you're currently in. I'll have to play with it to see fir sure. I've only tried while already in 8th and a single "-" press works.

Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for info on Pulsar. I talked with another person who has it and they stated they feel a slight lurch as well with it.

For the +, you only hit it once? I usually hit it till it goes up to 8.
True. If your already in 8th then one press of "-" disables MDS. If your sitting still or low speed, I guess you'd have to press "+" until 8th is indicated. Good catch.

Northeast16SS

Reaction score
The feature is actually called "gear limit". There is a +/- button set on the lower right of the steering wheel used to select the highest gear allowed. Pressing the "-" button limits top gear to 8th. Pressing again decrements to 7th, etc. Pressing the "+" increments to higher gears. After 8th, one more "+" press disables Nax Gear. MDS is disabled when Gear Limit is active so pressing "-" once sets MDS off with 8th as the highest allowable gear.

Edit: the +/- may start increment/decrement from whatever gear you're currently in. I'll have to play with it to see fir sure. I've only tried while already in 8th and a single "-" press works.

Thanks but I'm referring to the MDS functionality in general. I don't have any indicator lights that show when it's active, at least that I have seen. Good to know the max gear selection deactivates it though. I'm assuming from what I've read thus far here, that this is just cylinder deactivation to save fuel.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks but I'm referring to the MDS functionality in general. I don't have any indicator lights that show when it's active, at least that I have seen. Good to know the max gear selection deactivates it though. I'm assuming from what I've read thus far here, that this is just cylinder deactivation to save fuel.
Go into the settings on the radio and make sure the Eco light option is on. The is a tiny Green "ECO" light that displays on the.left side of the center dash display. It will illuminate when MDS is on. You may never see it in the first several hundred miles. It engages more frequently as the motor breaks in. We don't know the logic behind this but it is confirmed that MDS is more active after 1500-2000 miles.

And yes, MDS is cylinder deactivation. It only works when the truck is barely making enough power to maintain speed on fairly level ground at lower speeds. Mine has yet to hold MDS on at speeds above 70 unless I'm going downhill. I have the 3.92 axle.

Last edited:

Northeast16SS

Reaction score
Go into the settings on the radio and make sure the Eco light option is on. The is a tiny Green "ECO" light that displays on the.left side of the center dash display. It will illuminate when MDS is on. You may never see it in the first several hundred miles. It engages more frequently as the motor breaks in. We don't know the logic behind this but it is confirmed that MDS is more active after 1500-2000 miles.

And yes, MDS is cylinder deactivation. It only works when the truck is barely making enough power to maintain speed on fairly level ground at lower speeds. Mine has yet to hold MDS on at speeds above 70 unless I'm going downhill. I have the 3.92 axle.

I looked throughout all the UConnect settings for the ECO light and couldn't find anything. I also couldn't find anything in the owners manual.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked throughout all the UConnect settings for the ECO light and couldn't find anything. I also couldn't find anything in the owners manual.
I'm traveling and away from my truck. Perhaps someone can post pics of the option on the Uconnect screen for you.

th3duke

Reaction score

I've got the Rebel with almost 2000 KM (~ 1200 Miles) and it also has 3.92 and it seems to come on quite a bit. I'm averaging about 18 MPG (90% city), and stays on quite a bit at 100 KMH too, but I've been babying it quite a bit (driving like I've got an egg under my foot). :)

Users who are viewing this thread