5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque: 6 Things You Probably Didn't Know

SlowArrow

Reaction score
Yeah - that’s how it seems to work for me - seamlessly!

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
Wish this was explain more to me before i purchase my 19 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 , Still i dont know if i would still purchased it. When i was looking at the Etorque systems i had concern on cost, the 48 v battery . Cost to replace $1499. and that was just the battery. this turn me off.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram needs to do a better job advertising these features. I have the Etorque and so far I’m pretty impressed with it. The stop start function is actually livable. Any previous car I’ve driven with stop start has been horrific. You barely notice it in this vehicle. I haven’t seen the mpg boost I was hoping for yet, but overall, the system seems like a good idea

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Ram needs to do a better job advertising these features. I have the Etorque and so far I’m pretty impressed with it. The stop start function is actually livable. Any previous car I’ve driven with stop start has been horrific. You barely notice it in this vehicle. I haven’t seen the mpg boost I was hoping for yet, but overall, the system seems like a good idea

Well, you are lifted and running 35s :)

Curious what mileage you are getting with that set up? Looks great!

Ram19Va

Reaction score
Very informative. I like how he mentioned near end if the battery pack is full extra power is given to radiator fans to cool it down even more, and start 'n stop can last up to 10 minutes.

Brady_SS

Reaction score

This has been my experience as well. I love how smooth everything operates, I just wish I could see the advertised 17 MPG with city driving. Part of my issue is that it has been warm here for most of the time I have owned the truck and so the climate control has prevented start/stop from operating on my drive home most of the time. As the weather cools off, I am noticing it engaging more often now so I'm hopeful my fall and winter MPG will be better.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, you are lifted and running 35s :)

Curious what mileage you are getting with that set up? Looks great!
I’m seeing high 13-low 14 as an average. Only saw about 10-11 towing a four wheeler and dirt bikes. I know the lift and tires hurt it but I’m not getting any more than my lifted 2010. Hope it improves as it breaks in.

Gearwhine

Reaction score
I'm at 815 miles now... Had to take it on some 2 hr highway jaunts despite trying avoid that in the first 1000 miles.

I'm a light foot driver, and was seeing 23-25 highway with random accelerations to change the rpms (average of 65-70 mph on Colorado I-25), and am averaging about 18-19 city. I am very happy with the mileage I'm getting so far!

TimG

Reaction score
I'm at 815 miles now... Had to take it on some 2 hr highway jaunts despite trying avoid that in the first 1000 miles.

I'm a light foot driver, and was seeing 23-25 highway with random accelerations to change the rpms (average of 65-70 mph on Colorado I-25), and am averaging about 18-19 city. I am very happy with the mileage I'm getting so far!
What gearing do you have? 3.21?

Reaction score
Excellent video. I wound up with the eTourque because that's what they had on the lot. Didn't really know much about it and my dealership was clueless. I learned more in 15 minutes than I have the entire time I've had the truck. According to the trip computer I am getting 15.8mpg in combined city/highway. Can't imagine what it would be without.

SlowArrow

Reaction score
My truck is still really new (500 miles) but I am getting about 15-17 around town, and into the low 20's on the highway.

RamMeToo

Reaction score
Best Start/Stop I've ever driven. The stop lasts way longer than anything I am aware of. Other than hearing and seeing the tach, I don't even notice it when it starts back up. Another great feature is that when you come off break and move a few feet, it re-engages back to the off position when you stop. Most seem to give up after the first session.

I'm in Florida and have my AC fan on 2 or 3 at 67 degrees most of the time and I cant think of a single stop light it hasn't lasted the entire light (even long ones).

djwdjw

Reaction score
I am really impressed and happy with eTorque on mine.

I notice that as soon as I even begin to release brake pressure, it comes to life.

I am hoping my mpg comes up after break-in, in the high 13s now around town.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Great video and explanation. Although I abhor start/stop systems, this may be the one to get if there's no other choice on my next truck (our 2019s are prob the last full size trucks available with optional start/stop I believe).
RAM needs to do a better job at explaining all the pros of this system. The video above is the first one I've seen that does this in a clear, concise manner.

Thanks for sharing,
Neurobit

Ram19Va

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the Pulsar version to come out for E-Torque, and I will be disabling MDS in 1-2 days at the dealership.
Reason: Exhaust sound, and the fact 4 cylinders will wear unevenly and cause issues down the line.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the Pulsar version to come out for E-Torque, and I will be disabling MDS in 1-2 days at the dealership.
Reason: Exhaust sound, and the fact 4 cylinders will wear unevenly and cause issues down the line.
I’ve never understood that theory, the "deactivated" pistons don't stop moving so how would that cause uneven wear? even if there is no fuel going to those cylinders the MDS only works at idle RPM's so very little fuel is injected in the cylinders. And the ECU should vary which cylinders get shut off anyways.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ive never understood that theory, the "deactivated" pistons don't stop moving so how would that cause uneven wear? even if there is no fuel going to those cylinders the MDS only works at idle RPM's so very little fuel is injected in the cylinders. And the ECU should vary which cylinders get shut off anyways.
Right! Agree!

Users who are viewing this thread