5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque 5.7 Light Braking Feel?

RamTex

Reaction score
I just test drove an etorque 5.7 hemi limited. I noticed with very slight braking when approaching a stoplight I could feel the etorque system "pulling" a bit to make slow stops a bit less smooth. I've pretty much made up my mind on getting a 19' ram but debating the eTorque option. Anyone drove both or have the eTorque and notice the system on light braking up to a stoplight?

Thank you for any feedback!

TimG

Reaction score
In short, its doing exactly what its supposed to be doing. It reminds me of using an engine or "Jake" brake on a diesel. (Since my previous rig was a diesel, it doesn't really bother me). It is something that you will need to get used to if you decide to get that option, but I can promise you that it wont take very long for you to use it more than regular braking. Best of luck with your decision!

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty much exactly what t_george77 said. Some say you get used to it. I hated the feel and I didn't want to get used to it for what i felt was very little benefit for my needs and at an added cost. It is totally a personal judgment call for you.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got used to it within a day or two...and use it to my advantage now. I also play the "Eco mode game" and try to keep the truck in MDS as much as possible. eTorque has also trained me to wait a split second when the engine starts from a stop before hitting the gas, much like driving a golf cart. The system works exceptionally smoothly.

DaYooper

Reaction score
I test drove three different 5.7L hemi’s. The one with eTorque was my least favorite to drive. I just didn’t like that little bump you feel when the braking kicks on. Plus, at its current cost it would take me probably 10 years to break even and I doubt I’ll still have this truck in 10 years.

I will say that the start/stop system worked really good eventhough I generally hate the entire concept.

Ram19Va

Reaction score
I don't really notice any engine braking as people have mentioned. However, if I'm going down a hill and I choose to hit the brake it automatically engages engine braking and rpms go to about 2k-2.2k. It turns off if you touch the accelerator.
I find that to be a great feature to help save the brakes.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Yes, what t_george said, it pretty much feels like having an engine brake. I like it on ours. It's not bad to get used to it let's you use much less brake pedal to stop I feel like.

Michael_D

Reaction score
I've got about 4K miles on mine now with E-torque. Still not used to the engine breaking. Not sure if I ever will. It also slows engine speed down too much when cruise control is engaged and cresting over a hill. It removes fuel-saving opportunities you would normally see when the truck coasts. The upside is very little break peddle effort is required to slow the truck down.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you adjust how much regenerative braking you get to make it less aggressive?

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Can you adjust how much regenerative braking you get to make it less aggressive?
No, I wish I could increase the Regen. I don't notice it. One pedal driving is great once you are used to it.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you saying you like it....is yours smooth and consistent? I have an eTorque with 1200 miles on it. Sometimes it isn’t bad and other times it’s super jerky. I only feel it when decelerating to a stop. Sometimes it will be engaged and then just “let go” and the the truck will lung forward and I have to catch it with the brake pedal. My wife didn’t know anything about this and asked what was going on from the passenger seat. She hates it.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you saying you like it....is yours smooth and consistent? I have an eTorque with 1200 miles on it. Sometimes it isn’t bad and other times it’s super jerky. I only feel it when decelerating to a stop. Sometimes it will be engaged and then just “let go” and the the truck will lung forward and I have to catch it with the brake pedal. My wife didn’t know anything about this and asked what was going on from the passenger seat. She hates it.
You sure you aren't feeling the transmission jerk? 2nd to 1st gear downshifts can be pretty noticeable in my truck. eTorque braking on the other hand is completely seamless. Didn't even know if it was working until I drove another vehicle without eTorque and felt how much more it coasts when letting off the accelerator.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You sure you aren't feeling the transmission jerk? 2nd to 1st gear downshifts can be pretty noticeable in my truck. eTorque braking on the other hand is completely seamless. Didn't even know if it was working until I drove another vehicle without eTorque and felt how much more it coasts when letting off the accelerator.

100% sure it is not a downshift from 2-1. I’ll have to try and pay more attention but every time I feel it when I look down I’m still in 3rd gear. My truck comes almost to a complete stop before it leaves 3rd gear.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5-4 downshift is a bit rough. I wish it would just coast instead of downshifting. In my 2016 F150 Ecoboost 3.5 it would basically neutral coast to a stop. Only sport mode held gears and downshifted.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck comes almost to a complete stop before it leaves 3rd gear.
I’ve observed this too, and - without taking us too far off topic - I think this is at least partly responsible for any low-speed jerkiness. If I want my eTorque stop/start to be “butter smooth”, I have to feather my low-speed braking and wait for the transmission to catch up and downshift 3-2-1. I’ve noticed the truck does the same feathering on its own when coming to a stop via adaptive cruise. So it seems to be programmed in. I feel like it’s holding third gear too long for a smooth stop, but it seems to be by design.

Users who are viewing this thread