5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Turned off when backing up today. 5.7 Hemi w/o E-Torque

bpj52282

Reaction score
So as the title states, I cold started my truck a few minutes ago and put it in reverse and the engine turned off. It cranked right back up and seemed to be fine but I'm not sure why it did this in the first place. My low fuel light was on, but it had just come on last night and was still showing 47 miles to go so I don't think it was that low to be honest with you. I've had a few other issues since getting it with the idle being a little rough and I've also had the issue with the A/C blower stopping and restarting maybe 15 seconds later. I guess it's time to take it to the dealer but was just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Vic

Reaction score
I cold started mine remotely the other day when the low fuel light had been coming on. I was just walking up to it when the engine shut down. I got in and restarted it -- no problem; went and got gas (about 2 miles). I just figured the remote start was programmed to shut down the truck if the fuel light comes on. It takes a little time after starting before the fuel light registers, so that's when it shuts down.
If you didn't remote start, then I don't know...

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 14 did that twice through the years I had it. No codes so no way to tell. One of the many unexplainable glitches that Ram had then and still has today.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I cold started mine remotely the other day when the low fuel light had been coming on. I was just walking up to it when the engine shut down. I got in and restarted it -- no problem; went and got gas (about 2 miles). I just figured the remote start was programmed to shut down the truck if the fuel light comes on. It takes a little time after starting before the fuel light registers, so that's when it shuts down.
I'm wondering the same thing, if he had remote started it first. I have a Charger too, and when the low fuel light comes one, the remote start will turn off right after it starts up to avoid any possibility of running out of gas while it's idling.

Derwoodjones

Reaction score

The remote start will shut off the truck if the low fuel light comes on. what I don't know is why bpj52282's truck was on then dies when shifted to reverse. I have not had that happen on my 14' Laramie or my 19' bighorn.

Users who are viewing this thread