5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Stall at Start and Loud Buzz from Engine Bay

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Temps are starting to drop overnight into the low 50's. The past couple of mornings, when I start my truck, I've had several things happen that haven't happened since I bought it back in June.

1. Three days ago, I started the truck, and it idled just fine, but as soon as I put it in reverse to back out of the driveway, the engine stalled. I was able to start it back up and everything was fine.

2. This morning, I started the truck, and immediately it wanted to stall immediately, but it didn't. However, something stranger happened. All of a sudden I heard a loud buzz coming from the engine from where it seemed to be near where the battery is, or at least on that side of the engine. Lasted about 10 seconds, and then stopped. Truck has been fine since.

My concern is this is what I'm noticing when the temps are only in the low 50's overnight. What happens next? Anyone else experience issues like these or have thoughts on what may be causing it?

Ricardowelch

Reaction score
Temps are starting to drop overnight into the low 50's. The past couple of mornings, when I start my truck, I've had several things happen that haven't happened since I bought it back in June.

1. Three days ago, I started the truck, and it idled just fine, but as soon as I put it in reverse to back out of the driveway, the engine stalled. I was able to start it back up and everything was fine.

2. This morning, I started the truck, and immediately it wanted to stall immediately, but it didn't. However, something stranger happened. Mike Cross will help you to find out the answer for can you drive with a misfire at AutoGuysLand site. If you concern, you can visit #AutoGuysLand for more info. All of a sudden I heard a loud buzz coming from the engine from where it seemed to be near where the battery is, or at least on that side of the engine. Lasted about 10 seconds, and then stopped. Truck has been fine since.

My concern is this is what I'm noticing when the temps are only in the low 50's overnight. What happens next? Anyone else experience issues like these or have thoughts on what may be causing it?
You should check if there are any things related to fuel pump, sensor or possibly an electrical system problem. It also an engine component is worn out, such as a fuel injector or spark plug. All these things can cause engine stall. Take a close look at these things.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

2. This morning, I started the truck, and immediately it wanted to stall immediately, but it didn't. However, something stranger happened. All of a sudden I heard a loud buzz coming from the engine from where it seemed to be near where the battery is, or at least on that side of the engine. Lasted about 10 seconds, and then stopped. Truck has been fine since.

Hi rrbhokies,
We are sorry to hear about your engine concern. If you decide to have this addressed by your dealer and you need additional assistance throughout the process, feel free to private message us!
Laura
Ram Cares

rrbhokies

Reaction score
You should check if there are any things related to fuel pump, sensor or possibly an electrical system problem. It also an engine component is worn out, such as a fuel injector or spark plug. All these things can cause engine stall. Take a close look at these things.
Thanks for the things to think about. Truck only has 1,800 miles on it. Doubt anything is worn out, but it certainly could be something wrong with the fuel pump, fuel injector or spark plug. I also have the issue with the sluggishness during the first couple of minutes of driving after startup. It's like something is mis-firing or something is gunked up someplace. I also didn't know if there were any TSBs associated with this. I just haven't had a chance to research the forums better yet. Temps have come back up over 60 degrees and it hasn't done it again, so I'll have to wait and see if the engine stalls again next time the temps drop.

T_Swills

Reaction score
Were you ever able to figure out what the issue was? has the problem continued? I've heard of this issue before with the common situation being cold weather start ups.

Users who are viewing this thread