5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine smell for 2019 ram rebel

EddieP

Reaction score
I have the weed smell as well. 300 miles so far. I'm not sure what it is but, it's not that bad yet.

RichM1983

Reaction score
I’m going to chime in. I have a 19 Laramie Sport with 5.7. No etorque. When I test drove mine I just assumed it was normal and would go away. I also test drove a 19 Rebel at the same time and it didn’t have the smell but had 100 or so miles while the Laramie I test drove and then purchased only had around 10 miles. I’m at 1,100 miles now and it seems to be getting more faint but it is certainly still there. Not sure of the build date but I know it was ordered in September by the dealer and delivered early December.

Swordfish

Reaction score
I have a Rebel also and also have the smell. I don't notice it in the cab but really notice when I park and walk to the back of the truck. Very strong odor. Like others, I am hopeful it will burn off what ever is causing this.

Jmf2k16

Reaction score
My wife is convinced there is a dead animal in the garage. It smells like something burning to me. Waiting for it to burn off.

gilby7887

Reaction score
I've also mentioned the weed smell to a few other people checking out my rebel. Ill be following this thread now.

JeffP

Reaction score
My dealership finally got FCA to agree to replacing radiator hoses and flush the coolant as well. This is the next step. If this doesn't fix the problem, I'm not sure what the next step will be. FCA didn't want to admit that this was a problem at first, then they said they have had other complaints of the same type of smell.

JV77

Reaction score
My dealership finally got FCA to agree to replacing radiator hoses and flush the coolant as well. This is the next step. If this doesn't fix the problem, I'm not sure what the next step will be. FCA didn't want to admit that this was a problem at first, then they said they have had other complaints of the same type of smell.
@JeffP - did your dealer already complete this work or is it scheduled for some other time? I am curious to see if this remedies the issue completely for you or not. If it does work, would there be any way of posting the records between FCA and your dealer. I would hope this would be more leverage for getting something done on the other trucks out there exhibiting this issue.

JeffP

Reaction score
@JeffP - did your dealer already complete this work or is it scheduled for some other time? I am curious to see if this remedies the issue completely for you or not. If it does work, would there be any way of posting the records between FCA and your dealer. I would hope this would be more leverage for getting something done on the other trucks out there exhibiting this issue.
The dealer hasn't completed the work yet. They are waiting on the parts. FCA told them 3 days for the part to get here. The truck has been there 2 weeks and FCA is not rushing to remedy the problem. I've already told my dealer that if this doesn't work, they can have the truck back.

JeffP

Reaction score
The dealer completed the work by putting a new radiator hose with a heat shield covering it. I got the truck back last night and I drove it anywhere I went today and unfortunately, I am still smelling that weed / skunk smell. It's not as bad, but I still smell it. I feel for the price of the truck, I shouldn't be smelling anything. Not sure what to do next.

JV77

Reaction score
The dealer completed the work by putting a new radiator hose with a heat shield covering it. I got the truck back last night and I drove it anywhere I went today and unfortunately, I am still smelling that weed / skunk smell. It's not as bad, but I still smell it. I feel for the price of the truck, I shouldn't be smelling anything. Not sure what to do next.
That's no good. Please let us know if it goes away this time after a little while, although I am pretty sure I know the answer to that already. Did the dealer also flush the system?

JeffP

Reaction score
Yes, they flushed the system as well. I talked to my dealer today and they told me that Chrysler is aware of this problem and is trying to work on a solution and ask that I be patient. Sounds like a typical response to a problem. Kind of like having a recall and the parts aren't available anytime soon. Unfortunately, I'm ready to get rid of the truck.

REBEL 2.0

Reaction score
I had that smell on my 16 Rebel and it eventually went away after several months and few thousand clicks. There was quite a bit of discussion about it on a Rebel forum. I would guess the same hoses are still used. If I remember the consensus was off gassing from the rad hoses .

Tommy R

Reaction score
Just chiming in to add that my new Rebel also has the skunk weed smell. Now after nearly a month and 1600 miles it's diminished significantly, but it's still there.

JeffP

Reaction score
I'm still waiting to see what Chrysler is going to do. I called Chrysler cares last night and they claim that they have never even heard of this problem and have no idea what would be causing it. Very frustrating and I'm cautious to get another ram truck and it smell like this one.

Ridge638

Reaction score
Hi all, just joined this forum after purchasing my 2019 Ram Rebel about 2 weeks ago. This was the first thread I sought out as I have that awful weed/skunk smell from the front of my truck. Glad to hear I am not alone but very disappointed with the horrible smell. Hope there is a solution soon.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a little over 1100 miles and mine has diminished some but I haven’t driven it more than 10-15 minutes at a time lately.

Users who are viewing this thread