5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine smell for 2019 ram rebel

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i have the same issue. My truck is a 2019 limited approx built date is late 2018. i started to smell this weir smell but thought it was water intrusion or something inside the car. It has not gone away I had the car clean and deodorized but it is still there. I just took it to the dealer and they told me they couldnt find the issue.

Hi @MIAMIRAM - I just had a chance to respond to your PM on this!

Mark
RamCares

STR

Reaction score
While I don’t have this issue w/my ‘20 Rebel... yet, it was a problem with certain Gen 4 model years. Countless owners were complaining about the smell on other Ram forums. It was ultimately discovered that the smell was caused by a new OAT/HOAT (purple) Antifreeze and its chemical reaction to a sulfur-cured rubber compound in the coolant hoses. It was also reported that this antifreeze was reacting with a chemical used in prepping the engine block during production. I believe that there is either a TSB or STAR... I’m not saying that this is still an issue, but there’s a lot of information on it if you conduct a Google search...

Users who are viewing this thread