5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

engine oil consumption

Edgarrpo

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Ram Rebel 1500 year 2019. I am about to get to 10,000 miles and I checked the oil yesterday and the stick for the oil is showing almost the minimum oil level
Is it normal for a a Ram with a 5.7 Hemi to consume oil before 10,000 miles?

I do not what to think or do.

Thank you

Luxy72462

Reaction score
Have you had the oil changed yet? The protocol is for them to verify the oil is full. Come back in 1000 miles and if it consumes less than a quart they say it’s normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edgarrpo

Reaction score
Have you had the oil changed yet? The protocol is for them to verify the oil is full. Come back in 1000 miles and if it consumes less than a quart they say it’s normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,
I changed the oil when I got to 5,000 miles. I should take it back when I get to 10,000 but Check the oil in my truck once in a while and I found, it is really low.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't care what they say a quart of oil being burnt is not acceptable. I had a 09 Challenger 5.7 with 109k on it and it NEVER burned oil between changes. I only used full synthetic and changed it every 6500 miles. The idea that its acceptable is the wrong way to think. When they say its within spec that is a clue to me that something is off with the internals. I'm not saying your engine is going to blow up but that something was maybe not perfect when it was built. All this being said you do have to look for any oil leaks that may be dripping down on the exhaust or exhaust manifold and getting burned off so you never see anything leaking on the ground.

Kooch80

Reaction score
my 14 laramie would "lose" a quart between every oil change. i change my oil at about 7500 miles

Jim64

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bighorn sport that I bought in March that is getting close to 3000 miles. Checked the oil yesterday and it hasn’t used a drop yet that I can tell. I plan on switching to full synthetic at around 5000 miles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've only owned two brands of motors that DID NOT use any oil: Chrysler products and Nissan.

Since I've known about 20 people who own 5.7 Hemi motors, I cannot recall any of them mentioning any oil usage at all. In fact, all of the current truck owners I've asked say they never use a drop between oil changes. I've owned three Ram 1500s with 5.7s and go until the message to change oil comes up. They have always been at the full mark.

So I would say it's unusual.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 032094 miles.

Nibis

Reaction score
Could be going through the PCV system. I installed a catch can, and was surprised at the amount it caught in a few hundred miles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
To truely know how much oil your engine consumes, install a quality catch can. I was surprised the first time I changed my oil after installing one. After about 8k miles, there was about four ounces of oil in the catch can. That's not going to be very noticeable on the dipstick, but definitely means that some oil consumption was happening.

jabara572

Reaction score
To truely know how much oil your engine consumes, install a quality catch can. I was surprised the first time I changed my oil after installing one. After about 8k miles, there was about four ounces of oil in the catch can. That's not going to be very noticeable on the dipstick, but definitely means that some oil consumption was happening.

Thats only catching whatever oil is in the PCV system, that doesnt include oil burned during combustion.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
True. Maybe not properly topped off at last fill.
Also, don't forget you're using 20-weight oil. That oil is already thin when cold and at operating temperature, about 220*F, it's even thinner.
I use 5W-30 except before I take extended road trips in the hot months of summer, when I'll switch to 15W-40. No excessive oil consumption issues in 33,000 miles.

Steve

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thats only catching whatever oil is in the PCV system, that doesnt include oil burned during combustion.
You're right (y) but my point was for people claiming their engine doesn't use a drop of oil, which is not possible. It takes a lot of drops to even be able to see a difference on the dip stick.

Firebird

Reaction score
I’ve had 7 Hemi’s and never had to add a drop of oil to a single one of them

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're right (y) but my point was for people claiming their engine doesn't use a drop of oil, which is not possible. It takes a lot of drops to even be able to see a difference on the dip stick.
While this is of course technically true the only discernible way to measure the oil for us is to use the dip stick and if there is no significant change when checked then for the purposes of this conversation there is no oil being burned.

Luxy72462

Reaction score
Update to this old thread. Took the truck back for oil change #2. Told them it still smokes on cold startup. I got a call this afternoon after them having the truck since Tuesday. They verified it does smoke. FCA requested some tests be run. Tech did whatever. FCA is telling them to install a new long block. I was told there is a new revised motor that was released within the last month and it’s on backorder. FCA would rather put the updated motor in than fix what I have. Mind you it’s at 8500 miles and I’ve complained about it smoking since the day I picked it up with 3 miles. The time clock has started so we’ll see how long it takes. And it’s also getting the rear window replaced for the cracked moulding and leak.

Last edited:

Paultg

Reaction score
Wow. Glad things are heading in the correct direction for you. - Paul G.

U

User_3336

want a oil burner? Glad you didn't buy a F150 5.0 V8 or a Chevy V8 5.3!!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
want a oil burner? Glad you didn't buy a F150 5.0 V8 or a Chevy V8 5.3!!
I don't normally chime in on comments like these, but I've been on this planet quite a while and this is the first time I've ever heard of a manufacturer willing to replace a motor or block for oil burning. I also have to agree with Greg's comment, too. The folks I know with Ecoboost motors confess to them using oil. But to them it's not a sin because they're made by Ford. All of my Chevies burnt oil, some worse than others. My last GM truck burnt a quart every 700 miles, but the factory spec. is a quart in 500 is okay!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035239 miles.

U

User_3336

Ford replacing long blocks because of excessive oil consumption is a KNOWN problem, with TSB's, affecting the
2018 and UP 5.0 V8. This is when the replaced the cylinder wall with Plasma Arc Technology.

GM's oil use was due to their stupid AFM technology.

Haven't seen any oil use in any RAM I've owned.

I don't normally chime in on comments like these, but I've been on this planet quite a while and this is the first time I've ever heard of a manufacturer willing to replace a motor or block for oil burning. I also have to agree with Greg's comment, too. The folks I know with Ecoboost motors confess to them using oil. But to them it's not a sin because they're made by Ford. All of my Chevies burnt oil, some worse than others. My last GM truck burnt a quart every 700 miles, but the factory spec. is a quart in 500 is okay!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035239 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread