5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine noise at statup

Do you hear the noise?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • You are crazy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

payd_in_full

Reaction score
5.7 w/ E-torque

Currently my truck has about 3,000 miles on it and has been in service for about 2 months. Ever since new the truck has exhibited what I would call a belt system noise, something along the path of a belt or the belt itself. The noise comes in after a complete cold soak of the engine regardless of ambient temperature, although it seems to be louder and last a little longer the colder the ambient temperature is.
No drivability issues are present. After cold soak, when the engine is started, the engine goes through its initial high idle and gradually comes down to its resting rpm within about 30 seconds. At this point, I hear the noise that you should be able to hear in the attached videos links. After further run time the noise becomes so faint it is very hard to pick up on and if the engine is warm and you restart it, it is not audible.

It happens every single start after cold soak. Initial visit to the dealer, even after giving them all the info above, was that they didn't hear a noise at all. I advised them to leave the unit alone for the duration of the day and when I came to pick it up I would start it, knowing it would happen, to point it out.

This happened with a service advisor and a master tech present, when they heard it they both acknowledged the noise was abnormal and it needed to be addressed.

At that point, they already had my truck for a week and I needed it back so I took it and rescheduled.

Now next service visit, the service manager/director comes into play on my return visit and states they listened for the noise multiple times and heard nothing abnormal.

Again, I say don't start the truck for the duration of the day and I will point it out again.

He started it at 1pm without me and I was arriving at 4, the noise occurred but for a shorter duration of time. He told me it was acceptable and by the time we were done he stormed off in anger because he didn't have the patience to deal with me and my complaint.

Came up with a million different excuses as to why it was the way it was and all useless.

I still have no resolution, so I'm hoping someone hears "the noise" in my video links below:

First link the noise happens around 33 seconds
Video of noise link

2nd link its happening almost instantly based on when I started recording
2nd video

3rd link based on record time it comes in at about the 50 second mark
3rd video of noise.

I would call it a chirping sound.

Maccam26

Reaction score
i hear an ambulance siren??? sorry man really can't help on this one.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5.7 w/ E-torque

Currently my truck has about 3,000 miles on it and has been in service for about 2 months. Ever since new the truck has exhibited what I would call a belt system noise, something along the path of a belt or the belt itself. The noise comes in after a complete cold soak of the engine regardless of ambient temperature, although it seems to be louder and last a little longer the colder the ambient temperature is.
No drivability issues are present. After cold soak, when the engine is started, the engine goes through its initial high idle and gradually comes down to its resting rpm within about 30 seconds. At this point, I hear the noise that you should be able to hear in the attached videos links. After further run time the noise becomes so faint it is very hard to pick up on and if the engine is warm and you restart it, it is not audible.

It happens every single start after cold soak. Initial visit to the dealer, even after giving them all the info above, was that they didn't hear a noise at all. I advised them to leave the unit alone for the duration of the day and when I came to pick it up I would start it, knowing it would happen, to point it out.

This happened with a service advisor and a master tech present, when they heard it they both acknowledged the noise was abnormal and it needed to be addressed.

At that point, they already had my truck for a week and I needed it back so I took it and rescheduled.

Now next service visit, the service manager/director comes into play on my return visit and states they listened for the noise multiple times and heard nothing abnormal.

Again, I say don't start the truck for the duration of the day and I will point it out again.

He started it at 1pm without me and I was arriving at 4, the noise occurred but for a shorter duration of time. He told me it was acceptable and by the time we were done he stormed off in anger because he didn't have the patience to deal with me and my complaint.

Came up with a million different excuses as to why it was the way it was and all useless.

I still have no resolution, so I'm hoping someone hears "the noise" in my video links below:

First link the noise happens around 33 seconds
Video of noise link

2nd link its happening almost instantly based on when I started recording
2nd video

3rd link based on record time it comes in at about the 50 second mark
3rd video of noise.

I would call it a chirping sound.
Water pump. Mine did this for a couple of months when new, then went away one day, and has never returned. I'm at 37,000 miles now without issue.

Dispatcher

Reaction score
I think I have the same problem. 2020 RAM Bighorn. Bought last month. About 1100 miles on it. Sounds like a bad belt or pully but the noise seems to come from under the truck and not near the belt. Heard it when I started the truck for the first time at the dealer. The seller which is a personal friend told me that his truck which is exactly the same model dit it and it's normal. My mechanic also told me that it's normal. Thing is it really bothers me and I find it hard to believe it would be normal from a brand new truck to sound like that. The noise gets away after the truck gets hot and driving for a bit. Please tell me if you find the problem.

payd_in_full

Reaction score
Water pump. Mine did this for a couple of months when new, then went away one day, and has never returned. I'm at 37,000 miles now without issue.
Good to know...would love for it to go away but it hasn't yet.

payd_in_full

Reaction score
I think I have the same problem. 2020 RAM Bighorn. Bought last month. About 1100 miles on it. Sounds like a bad belt or pully but the noise seems to come from under the truck and not near the belt. Heard it when I started the truck for the first time at the dealer. The seller which is a personal friend told me that his truck which is exactly the same model dit it and it's normal. My mechanic also told me that it's normal. Thing is it really bothers me and I find it hard to believe it would be normal from a brand new truck to sound like that. The noise gets away after the truck gets hot and driving for a bit. Please tell me if you find the problem.
I agree "normal" for this noise every startup does not seem like something RAM intended for us to go through, I do not think this is normal. I have yet to decide if i want to pursue it further with the first dealer or start fresh at another. I feel like no matter what I say at the current dealership they will just fluff me off and tell me no problem found.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to know...would love for it to go away but it hasn't yet.
I was going to have the dealer address on my next scheduled oil change when it was chirping. It quit before the oil change came due, and has never returned. I narrowed it down to the water pump using a mechanics stethoscope. The chirp definitely came from there.

Duran

Reaction score
I was going to have the dealer address on my next scheduled oil change when it was chirping. It quit before the oil change came due, and has never returned. I narrowed it down to the water pump using a mechanics stethoscope. The chirp definitely came from there.
Did the dealer xonfirm it was the water pump and swap it out under warranty?

Florida Ranger

Reaction score
Did you check out other new trucks on Dealers lot, to see if they made the noise ?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the dealer xonfirm it was the water pump and swap it out under warranty?
No, because the chirp went away on its own before the oil change came due, and it’s never returned. Sitting at 40,000 miles now and never been an issue again. And, it was absolutely the water pump in my situation. Confirmed it myself, there was no mistaking where the noise was originating by using the stethoscope.

Duran

Reaction score
No, because the chirp went away on its own before the oil change came due, and it’s never returned. Sitting at 40,000 miles now and never been an issue again. And, it was absolutely the water pump in my situation. Confirmed it myself, there was no mistaking where the noise was originating by using the stethoscope.
Imma have to do the same just that noise alome drives me crazy . I have it on my you tube chamnel at desertstyle. I believe it is identical. Mabye you can give me confirmation since you had the same issue. I just talked to the dealer too and the basically said its normal. But a new truck in 2020 i dont think so.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Imma have to do the same just that noise alome drives me crazy . I have it on my you tube chamnel at desertstyle. I believe it is identical. Mabye you can give me confirmation since you had the same issue. I just talked to the dealer too and the basically said its normal. But a new truck in 2020 i dont think so.
i didn't think it was normal, and was going to have the WP replaced. Once the chirp went away, there was no need to do it. It lasted for a few weeks before it went away...I can hear it in your video. Definitely give it a listen with a stethoscope. You can actually use a long screw driver or long ratchet extension to hear it. Just place one end on the various accessories driven by the serpentine belt, and the other end on your ear. The chirp will transmit clearly from the offending part.

Last edited:

Duran

Reaction score
i didn't think it was normal, and was going to have the WP replaced. Once the chirp went away, there was no need to do it. It lasted for a few weeks before it went away...I can hear it in your video. Definitely give it a listen with a stethoscope. You can actually use a long screw driver or long ratchet extension to hear it. Just place one end on the various accessories driven by the serpentine belt, and the other end on your ear. The chirp will transmit clearly from the offending part.
Thanks bro

Users who are viewing this thread