5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine ECU Tuning

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a tune that can be performed on the 5.7L? I have had a Ford and two GMC Denali pickups in the past and could tune them with a SuperChips or Diablo programmer. Can't seem to find much at all on the RAM. Anyone have any input on the topic?

Thanks

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
HP Tuners doesn't have support for the 2019's yet (according to their website). It's also $249 for them to unlock your PCM, $89 for the smart access cable, and another $300 in credits to unlock the PCM and TCM to even start tuning it. That is of course if you own the software/hardware like I do. I can only imagine what a shop would actually charge for a tune.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks...looks like a total PCM change and really not wanting to go that route. Guess there are no handheld programmers for Mopar?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
The Pulsar appears to be the only option at this point. I'd have to see real world performance/MPG increases for me to pull the trigger. Throttle response is great, and would definitely make the truck feel faster, but if that's all it does then it's not worth $500 IMO. MPG claims you have to take with a grain of salt too.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Pulsar appears to be the only option at this point. I'd have to see real world performance/MPG increases for me to pull the trigger. Throttle response is great, and would definitely make the truck feel faster, but if that's all it does then it's not worth $500 IMO. MPG claims you have to take with a grain of salt too.

I agree, RedRocket. I don’t know if it’s increased my truck’s HP/torque or not. They claim up to a 30/30 gain. I’d like to see before and after dyno pulls.

But. If you get a chance to ride in or drive a friends Ram with the Pulsar in performance mode, you might reconsider getting one. I found the stock truck sluggish for a 5.7L Hemi, at least from a start thru the first several gears. Now if you punch it, it’ll go.

But performance mode with the Pulsar makes the truck snappy and strong right from the start. It sure seems like, at least, a bit more power, plus better throttle response and shifting. You can snap the throttle and chirp the tires pretty easily.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought an OBDII performance chip from chip your car. It cost $209 for the stage 3 chip. I was NOT confident it would improve much but happily i was wrong. It has noticeably increased my HP, engine throttle response is much more immediate, better shifting and boosted my highway mpg about 5MPG. All in all I have to say it was worth the money.

Is anyone aware of a tune that can be performed on the 5.7L? I have had a Ford and two GMC Denali pickups in the past and could tune them with a SuperChips or Diablo programmer. Can't seem to find much at all on the RAM. Anyone have any input on the topic?

Thanks

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I bought an OBDII performance chip from chip your car. It cost $209 for the stage 3 chip. I was NOT confident it would improve much but happily i was wrong. It has noticeably increased my HP, engine throttle response is much more immediate, better shifting and boosted my highway mpg about 5MPG. All in all I have to say it was worth the money.

5MPGs? Let's be real here lol

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5MPGs? Let's be real here lol
Bear in mind the MPG increase was 100% highway driving and I made the exact trip twice. I'm in no way trying to sell anyone on the chip. I'm just reporting what it did for me. How I tested it was I drove the trip one way (190 miles each way) with the chip installed and then removed it on the return trip. Same route, same conservative driving. Different results. When i see it for myself then I can become a believer and this showed me factual results.

Last edited:

ChrisW74

Reaction score
Bear in mind the MPG increase was 100% highway driving and I made the exact trip twice. I'm in no way trying to sell anyone on the chip. I'm just reporting what it did for me. How I tested it was I drove the trip one way (190 miles each way) with the chip installed and then removed it on the return trip. Same route, same conservative driving. Different results. When i see it for myself then I can become a believer and this showed me factual results.

How did you figure the mileage did you rely on the computer or did yo hand jam it based of mileage and how much fuel you actually used? I would trust hand jamming rather than what the computer is telling me.

Lize

Reaction score
https://www.chipyourcar.com/product/dodge-performance-chips/

Looks like a generic device for just about any vehicle. I have my reservations regarding the claims they are making.

I too looked at their website but was suspicious of the claims without any evidence, I'm more interested in performance rather than MPG. What further put me off was when they were re-selling a "Dash Command" package with sale price of $60 which appears to be nothing more than an ELM adapter and Torque App which can both be purchased for a few $s each.

I'm going to run mine in when it arrives and then think about either the Pedal Commander or Edge Pulsar. It would be nice to see dyno on the Edge to confirm the BHP gains and that's its not just throttle response tweaking, otherwise the cheaper Pedal Commander might be the way to go even if it doesn't do quite as good a job. Also I wasn't keen on the Edge idea of pulsing the throttle to stop MDS activating but the answer to that would be not to use those settings.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you figure the mileage did you rely on the computer or did yo hand jam it based of mileage and how much fuel you actually used? I would trust hand jamming rather than what the computer is telling me.
I'm old school so i did it manually

Truckin

Reaction score

Thanks
I was told by SuperChips (talked to them about a week ago) that they expect a full-fledged tune (not just the Pulsar) available within the next couple of months...Now the wait begins!

Users who are viewing this thread