5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Break In

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Just curious, how have the Chargers been doing for your department?
The mechanic at the district I work out of said the last one he dealt with that had lifter issues was a 2015, none since model year 2016. No major transmission issues but it’s a different transmission than what comes on civilian models. He said other than the normal wear and tear that’s to be expected they’ve been pretty good.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to add information to the thread, I reached out to a friend of mine that is a consulting engineer for race teams and is a race engine builder. He's worked on so many different teams in the past and travels extensively moving within different racing circuits. He's worked in IndyCar, LMP, WEC GT, IMSA and Australian SuperCars. When we were in college, he was always the smartest, hardest working and the best of us. Anyway, I asked his opinion on how I should drive my 2022 back from Louisiana to Alabama and here's what he said:

"Usually what you want to avoid during break-in is running at light load and the same RPM for long periods of time. So, I don't think it's a problem to go 60-70 (or at least, I don't see why they'd require that). But definitely try to drive at a variety of speeds and loads when you can. Maybe just exit and take some parallel US highway sections when they exist... stuff like that. Especially since that drive is gonna be pretty flat. WOT is good, but only at higher speeds. Don't launch the thing from the light, that's not good for the ring & pinion before they are fully bedded. Engine braking is also good, so you can manually downshift and let it have a little engine braking.

Hope this helps"

For me, I'm going with the opinion of an expert. No doubt it can probably be done more quickly and efficiently but I would imagine RAM is legally obligated to provide the consumer with a process that falls well within the limits of traffic laws as well as keeping people comfortable performing those break in recommendations.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to add information to the thread, I reached out to a friend of mine that is a consulting engineer for race teams and is a race engine builder. He's worked on so many different teams in the past and travels extensively moving within different racing circuits. He's worked in IndyCar, LMP, WEC GT, IMSA and Australian SuperCars. When we were in college, he was always the smartest, hardest working and the best of us. Anyway, I asked his opinion on how I should drive my 2022 back from Louisiana to Alabama and here's what he said:

"Usually what you want to avoid during break-in is running at light load and the same RPM for long periods of time. So, I don't think it's a problem to go 60-70 (or at least, I don't see why they'd require that). But definitely try to drive at a variety of speeds and loads when you can. Maybe just exit and take some parallel US highway sections when they exist... stuff like that. Especially since that drive is gonna be pretty flat. WOT is good, but only at higher speeds. Don't launch the thing from the light, that's not good for the ring & pinion before they are fully bedded. Engine braking is also good, so you can manually downshift and let it have a little engine braking.

Hope this helps"

For me, I'm going with the opinion of an expert. No doubt it can probably be done more quickly and efficiently but I would imagine RAM is legally obligated to provide the consumer with a process that falls well within the limits of traffic laws as well as keeping people comfortable performing those break in recommendations.
Interestingly, that advice is very similar to what was printed in the "break in" section of the owner's manual of my family's 1965 Chrysler Newport with 383 four-barrel carb and 727 Torqueflite 3-speed automatic. Including terms like "brief, full-throttle acceleration at highway speeds where safe to do so" and "occasional hard braking". This was all recommended in the first 500 miles on the odometer.

Redfour5

Reaction score
From the manual after first 300 miles...
"While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within
the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good
break-in."

I try to follow this but, sometimes you get a new truck that has had people "test driving" them. Mine went back and forth from one dealership to another twice so had almost two hundred miles on it. I don't know how those miles were driven, but we do have 80 mph speed limits in Montana.

But since I've had it and after the 300 miles, I have an uphill entrance ramp to the highway. After I get going, I stomp on it. I'm at about 750 miles now. Also, if I get slowed behind someone, when I pass I'll do the same to about 1K miles. Then I will change out the factory oil. And from then on pretty much drive "normal."

Fatherdeath

Reaction score
Im following my normal new car break in which is to not go over 3k till oil temp is 180-190, and then no launches but still get on it in traffic. at 1k miles Ill be swapping oil

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Just drive it... Only thing to avoid would be keeping the same speed/load for a long time. You need to load the piston rings up to get them seated properly. Especially in the first few miles.

Babying it won't seat them as well.

AlbertaClipper

Reaction score
More so than flooring it, I frequently put the engine under load within the torque band often in the first few hundred miles. I did this while avoiding rapid changes in RPM, so a lot of pulls on the highway from 35 to 70 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread