5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electronic Underseat Gun Mount

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
So Thought I would share what I installed yesterday on my Ram Quad cab. With my Jag convertible I didn't have any room to mount anything safely, with the folding rear seats of the Ram I was able to make a safe and fairly hidden solution Using an electronic gun lock. This was a fairly easy instal to do and the seats have no problem folding up and holding themselves open and and when the seats are down it still fully clears the floor of the vehicle with the rubber mats. Also lets not turn this into a political discussion about peoples opinions on weapons, granted I don't think too many people are really opposed to firearms on a truck forum. Also for anyone interested I used a Colt AR-15 with a standard 16" barrel.

To get power I tapped into the main harness for the power front drivers seat and used the big red wire that has constant power, even if ignition is off, you could theoretically use any source of power, but this was the easiest. I used a wire tap to tap into that wire,and then covered in with the plastic tubing and used black zip ties to tie it with the harness capable, very factory looking. I had about 5 feet of standard gauge red wire running underneath the seat to the rear seat kickplate, I used a trim removal tool to lift them up and just kept the wire under there, I put in a 10amp fuse just incase. I found a small black momentary switch in my garage and drilled out a slightly larger hole on the metal plate that has a rubber grommet that the seat touches when its folded down. I then unzipped the seat and drilled into the factory metal mounts and mounted the rack , I used a razor blade to put little X's in the carpet where the bolts would stick out of and it slide right through.. It sounds scary, but again with basic tools and some patients anyone can do it, and I am mechanically inept in my mind. I ran my power wire under the carpet to the switch and then to the electronic lock. and Boom, you have a safe, secured gun storage location that is fairly invasive and completely safe to have around children, the switch is hidden well and unless you know where it is or are really laying on the ground looking for it, you won't find it. I know this isn't a full DIY but its very straight foward and can be easily modified to fit your use.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS BEFORE DOING THIS!!!!!!!! This is fully legal where I am, please call your local PD and confirm it is where you are! I do not take responsibility if you do this in commiefornia and get arrested!
s IMG_9828.jpg
IMG_9827.jpg I took this photo at an angle where the gun is more visible, but unless you are 4.6 you won't notice it just climbing in the truck unless you know it is there. Plus you still have room to slide stuff under the seat.
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.20.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.20.47 PM.png used some foam tape to avoid damage on the barrel and minimize any noise ( there is 0 noise under acceleration, turning, or bumpy roads).
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.21.19 PM.png sorry for the crappy photo, but I used a step drill to open up the top hole and ran a momentary switch. I used more of the plastic tubing and uses the existing holes to zip tie it close the side, no chance of anyone snagging it with their feet.
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.21.36 PM.png I used the black plastic hose, I ran it under the seat rails and found an opening in the middle to go out of the carpet, used a big zip tie tied to the wire to fish it through, kinda annoying, took 10 min max.
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.22.04 PM.png Used one of those wire tap splicers, the thin wire is the factory one, the thicker one is the one I ran.
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.22.17 PM.png
Ran it under this kickplate, super easy to remove.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like your enthusiasm, and appreciate your sharing this with us. My main issue with this is, unless you have a passenger you trust to handle your AR with you, the driver has to run around or climb through the truck to access the rifle. It's better than not having it, but certainly not ideal if you want or need to grab it in a hurry. I'm looking into more of a holster system that fits behind the rear seat back. Not really an option unless your seat back folds down.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I would want the trigger blocked, just to prevent any mishaps.

I'm still liking the DuHa under seat tub. Has mounts for rifles.

https://www.du-ha.com/du-ha-cab-storage/ram1500crewcab-2019.html

img_6656.jpg

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like your enthusiasm, and appreciate your sharing this with us. My main issue with this is, unless you have a passenger you trust to handle your AR with you, the driver has to run around or climb through the truck to access the rifle. It's better than not having it, but certainly not ideal if you want or need to grab it in a hurry. I'm looking into more of a holster system that fits behind the rear seat back. Not really an option unless your seat back folds down.
If you need a rifle in that much of a hurry you already screwed up by not avoiding that situation.

Skater

Reaction score
So Thought I would share what I installed yesterday on my Ram Quad cab. With my Jag convertible I didn't have any room to mount anything safely, with the folding rear seats of the Ram I was able to make a safe and fairly hidden solution Using an electronic gun lock. This was a fairly easy instal to do and the seats have no problem folding up and holding themselves open and and when the seats are down it still fully clears the floor of the vehicle with the rubber mats. Also lets not turn this into a political discussion about peoples opinions on weapons, granted I don't think too many people are really opposed to firearms on a truck forum. Also for anyone interested I used a Colt AR-15 with a standard 16" barrel.

To get power I tapped into the main harness for the power front drivers seat and used the big red wire that has constant power, even if ignition is off, you could theoretically use any source of power, but this was the easiest. I used a wire tap to tap into that wire,and then covered in with the plastic tubing and used black zip ties to tie it with the harness capable, very factory looking. I had about 5 feet of standard gauge red wire running underneath the seat to the rear seat kickplate, I used a trim removal tool to lift them up and just kept the wire under there, I put in a 10amp fuse just incase. I found a small black momentary switch in my garage and drilled out a slightly larger hole on the metal plate that has a rubber grommet that the seat touches when its folded down. I then unzipped the seat and drilled into the factory metal mounts and mounted the rack , I used a razor blade to put little X's in the carpet where the bolts would stick out of and it slide right through.. It sounds scary, but again with basic tools and some patients anyone can do it, and I am mechanically inept in my mind. I ran my power wire under the carpet to the switch and then to the electronic lock. and Boom, you have a safe, secured gun storage location that is fairly invasive and completely safe to have around children, the switch is hidden well and unless you know where it is or are really laying on the ground looking for it, you won't find it. I know this isn't a full DIY but its very straight foward and can be easily modified to fit your use.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS BEFORE DOING THIS!!!!!!!! This is fully legal where I am, please call your local PD and confirm it is where you are! I do not take responsibility if you do this in commiefornia and get arrested!
s View attachment 68527
View attachment 68528 I took this photo at an angle where the gun is more visible, but unless you are 4.6 you won't notice it just climbing in the truck unless you know it is there. Plus you still have room to slide stuff under the seat.
View attachment 68529
View attachment 68530 used some foam tape to avoid damage on the barrel and minimize any noise ( there is 0 noise under acceleration, turning, or bumpy roads).
View attachment 68534 sorry for the crappy photo, but I used a step drill to open up the top hole and ran a momentary switch. I used more of the plastic tubing and uses the existing holes to zip tie it close the side, no chance of anyone snagging it with their feet.
View attachment 68535 I used the black plastic hose, I ran it under the seat rails and found an opening in the middle to go out of the carpet, used a big zip tie tied to the wire to fish it through, kinda annoying, took 10 min max.
View attachment 68536 Used one of those wire tap splicers, the thin wire is the factory one, the thicker one is the one I ran.
View attachment 68537
Ran it under this kickplate, super easy to remove.
Iffin' you don't live in Texas, you should! Great idea and install instructions.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you need a rifle in that much of a hurry you already screwed up by not avoiding that situation.
Haha...copy that, but these days it's not always in your power to control the situation.

TinyDancer

Reaction score
OP, that’s a nice alternative to the DuHa (mentioned here and my Fed friend has one).

Love the ingenuity and as I wanted to look for ideas this might be it.
Any thoughts to blocking the view of the gun with a sheet of sorts so you don’t ***** lookie loos if you live the door open for a while?

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
Living in Maryland (Democrat stronghold) the only thing you can do to protect yourself is carry a phone, call 911, and wait.
that really sucks to here, sorry about that towamen haha. what are the CCW laws

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
OP, that’s a nice alternative to the DuHa (mentioned here and my Fed friend has one).

Love the ingenuity and as I wanted to look for ideas this might be it.
Any thoughts to blocking the view of the gun with a sheet of sorts so you don’t ***** lookie loos if you live the door open for a while?
I have been brainstorming ideas on the best way to make it as concealed as possible, maybe something as a simple as a sheet tucked up may work. Truck is currently getting the chrome wrapped so when he's done I'll go try a couple options

TinyDancer

Reaction score
I noticed a zipper under my seat. Maybe a way to get some plastic that an zipper onto it. Thinking of a back frame for higher end backpacks might be pliable enough with the fright equivalent. Give it a textured black paint look, and it should blend in without much alteration to the truck

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Living in Maryland (Democrat stronghold) the only thing you can do to protect yourself is carry a phone, call 911, and wait.
for the coroner to show up.

There, fixed that for you.

Spent a lot of time traveling the states on tour with a band. MD was one of those places I'd freak out about - making sure to pull over in the rest stop right before the VA/MD border and secure all weps outside of the passenger compartment. (also freak about NY/NJ/MA/CA/IL).

Legality varies from state to state. Even the DA/HU setup might be questionable in some jurisdictions.

Here in FL - "secure encased" (for non-carry permit holders that don't have it ON THEM) means glove box or console (though not necessarily locked), zipper bag (or even snap holster) under seat, or strangely enough - IN PLAIN VIEW (though I probably wouldn't want to be the guy that has the cop walk up with a pistola on the passenger seat).

In "times of strife" (don't see much of them here in SoFla), I keep my Tavor on the floor in the back seat, in a zippered case - with the sling right next to the opening - so all I have to do is unzip and pull on the sling. (said the paranoid carrying 2 spare pistol mags at the moment).

This is a cool idea (the original post) - absent the "good old days" when we kept a rack in the back window. I'd be wary (even with a hidden release button) of having this construed as "not securely encased" - and probably not very "theft proof". Civilian Colts being out of production at the moment, they are somewhat pricey and rare. Hate for a broken window to be cause for sadness.

Cool DIY project though. Thanks for sharing it...

Rick

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Neat install - looks like the width tolerance is pretty tight otherwise I'd consider creating a "L" that covers the butt of the stock to really hide it from view altogether.

also saw the Pro-Gard lock brand and instantly thought of this; got any magnets lying around? LPL shows how easily these locks can be defeated.

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
Neat install - looks like the width tolerance is pretty tight otherwise I'd consider creating a "L" that covers the butt of the stock to really hide it from view altogether.

also saw the Pro-Gard lock brand and instantly thought of this; got any magnets lying around? LPL shows how easily these locks can be defeated.

Oh oh... Good to know about the lock.

Users who are viewing this thread