5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electric truck

Americantruck04

Reaction score
Am I the only one that’s going to miss the hell out of the engine noise when everyone goes electric?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While having that big V8 sound is nice, have you ridden in an all electric vehicle like a Tesla? It's surprisingly nice to not have engine noise when cruising.

Americantruck04

Reaction score
While having that big V8 sound is nice, have you ridden in an all electric vehicle like a Tesla? It's surprisingly nice to not have engine noise when cruising.
No I haven’t but I think that’s going to be thing I going to miss about the v8/v6s but I may be wrong

Americantruck04

Reaction score
It will be a long time before ICE are gone...If ever...
That’s what my dad says but I’ve read something about by 2050 there gone which granite is still along way away it’s still going to be here before I want it I hope they’re wrong about it but I have a feeling they’re not

CJR28

Reaction score
The changing emissions standards are my biggest factor in deciding to keep my 2020. I for one am disgusted with the dumbing down of NA engines. Decreasing displacement and adding turbos is a recipe for premature failure. I understand combustion engines, when something goes wrong I can usually figure out what the issue is if not fix it. I for one dont plan on purchasing a electric truck in the future if ever.

Americantruck04

Reaction score
The changing emissions standards are my biggest factor in deciding to keep my 2020. I for one am disgusted with the dumbing down of NA engines. Decreasing displacement and adding turbos is a recipe for premature failure. I understand combustion engines, when something goes wrong I can usually figure out what the issue is if not fix it. I for one dont plan on purchasing a electric truck in the future if ever.
Yeah are they’re doing is make more complicated trucks and cars because emissions but what about the batteries with the electric cars they’re not good for the earth either and I read where they might be radiation off and if that’s the case what’s going to happen if everything does go electric? But I don’t think anyone is going to be able to stop the epa on cracking down on manufacturers forcing thing to go electric and you can’t charge a battery as fast as you can fill a gas tank up I really disagree with this going electric **** I think it’s ******** and dumb

CJR28

Reaction score
Yeah are they’re doing is make more complicated trucks and cars because emissions but what about the batteries with the electric cars they’re not good for the earth either and I read where they might be radiation off and if that’s the case what’s going to happen if everything does go electric? But I don’t think anyone is going to be able to stop the epa on cracking down on manufacturers forcing thing to go electric and you can’t charge a battery as fast as you can fill a gas tank up I really disagree with this going electric **** I think it’s ******** and dumb
This and with the planets lithium supply, we are far more likely to encounter “peak lithium” sooner than peak oil. The batteries for teslas and the like are far from cheap too. I really dont see combustion engines or gasoline going anywhere anytime soon despite what the “green energy” pushers say. Try running a electric outboard on a Saltwater boat and let me know how that works out. Theyre also trying to push this agenda on long haul truckers. Most of the truckers i know work on their own trucks to keep them going, and with the industry suffering as a whole i dont see that changing.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Battery technology is (very) rapidly advancing, and we may soon see rapid-charging, high-capacity batteries made from inert, naturally-occurring elements.

As Jay Leno once said, electric vehicles will save the ICE, much like the car saved the horse. Today, horses are bred for enjoyment instead of basic work tasks. In much the same way, the electric vehicles of the future will preserve enough fossil fuels for classic/collectible gas-powered vehicles to be enjoyed when they’re no longer needed.

Americantruck04

Reaction score
This and with the planets lithium supply, we are far more likely to encounter “peak lithium” sooner than peak oil. The batteries for teslas and the like are far from cheap too. I really dont see combustion engines or gasoline going anywhere anytime soon despite what the “green energy” pushers say. Try running a electric outboard on a Saltwater boat and let me know how that works out. Theyre also trying to push this agenda on long haul truckers. Most of the truckers i know work on their own trucks to keep them going, and with the industry suffering as a whole i dont see that changing.
Yeah I really hope it doesn’t happen you don’t knows
Battery technology is (very) rapidly advancing, and we may soon see rapid-charging, high-capacity batteries made from inert, naturally-occurring elements.

As Jay Leno once said, electric vehicles will save the ICE, much like the car saved the horse. Today, horses are bred for enjoyment instead of basic work tasks. In much the same way, the electric vehicles of the future will preserve enough fossil fuels for classic/collectible gas-powered vehicles to be enjoyed when they’re no longer needed.
no I disagree cause when everyone goes electric none off the gas stations are going to be able to stay open these gas Stations aren’t going to stay open if no ones getting gas and those classic and collectibles are going to be enough to want them to stay open IMO and you will not be able to get gas.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
no I disagree cause when everyone goes electric none off the gas stations are going to be able to stay open these gas Stations aren’t going to stay open if no ones getting gas and those classic and collectibles are going to be enough to want them to stay open IMO and you will not be able to get gas.
Sure you will...it’ll just be delivered to you (by electric trucks) ;)

Rossum

Reaction score
Yeah I really hope it doesn’t happen you don’t knows

If there's a demand, there will be a supply. There may not be a filling station at every big intersection and off-ramp like there currently is, and you may have to plan long trips a bit more carefully, as EV drivers currently do, but it fuel isn't going to disappear.

Look at how few piston-engine airplanes remain in service and consider that they are flown mainly for enjoyment and pilot training. They use a special grade of gasoline called 100LL, which contrary to its name actually has quite a bit of lead in it, meaning it can't be transported without going to considerable lengths to ensure that it doesn't contaminate the unleaded gasoline used in surface vehicles. Yet this stuff is available at every small airport in the country.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm on the fence. I like the roar of an engine - that's what I have worked on and had all my life - but I can see the attraction too, depending on how you use the vehicle. I've always been against battery powered tools other than drills but lately I've bought a few to keep in the truck for quick property maintenance and I am totally sold. Quiet, don't need to carry gas and oil or mix, no gummed up carbs from sitting in the shed for 3 months, etc. Just pick it up and go. Got a one-handed reciprocating saw that works with the same batteries as the weedeater the other day and now that I've used it I can't believe I lived this long without one.

So I will keep my V8 as long as I can, and if everything goes electric I will miss some things and enjoy others. No point in worrying about what is going to come.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I will keep my V8 as long as I can, and if everything goes electric I will miss some things and enjoy others. No point in worrying about what is going to come.
Well said! I was born a farmboy; the smells and sounds of machinery are in my blood. But I’m also a techie and a bit of a futurist. We are living in a time of rapid change.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what my dad says but I’ve read something about by 2050 there gone which granite is still along way away it’s still going to be here before I want it I hope they’re wrong about it but I have a feeling they’re not

The green energy goalposts have shifted every few years.
I've noticed that the boldest claims about where the tech "is DEFINITELY going", generally come from people who are either trying to sell you their tech stock, or who have that tech stock and want to see it do well. Not always, but people have their biases when money gets involved.

I think there is a place for electric vehicles, but I'm not convinced it's "EVERY vehicle is going to be replaced by (self-driving) electric vehicles" future.
When people talk about wrong predictions, the favorite few tend to get pulled up.
Naysayers about horses or TVs, things of that nature.

But once upon a time, before the tech-stock promises filled the headlines and captured the hearts of investors? On the list of failed predictions used to be the ones that were TOO ambitious, vs not dreaming enough.
What gets omitted, is the technologies promising a world of, "the future will simply have __________ and it's going that way and the expert (who is trying to build it and wants to sell it to you, and his company has a stock whose investors have bought into the idea) says so." type of predictions.

Widespread flying cars by a decade ago, I believe it was.
Everything will be made of steel.
Atomic powered vacuum cleaners. You name it.

As a nation we are very spread out, we ship a lot by truck and train, and plane.
Average vehicles tend to run much older than most think they do.
In the US that's almost 12 years old. That's the AVERAGE vehicle on the road.
At 12 years, what's the state of that battery? Your phone battery is not the battery it once was at 2. Yes, the cars are made differently, but it's not exactly a nuclear reactor with a huge halflife. Who is going to replace that battery, and at what cost?
California can't power its current energy needs, but everyone is going to plug in their vehicle every night?
There are real hurdles that are not insignifcant.

We get promised breakthroughs in charging times and battery tech, but those promises have been made for a while now, and still are not here.
If it charges faster, it involves heat. You have a greater amount of energy you need to supply to charge it. Is there a danger factor as the energy density gets higher.
The technology might be more mature than we would like to think it is, it might take longer than some are promising to get there - and there are still tradeoffs. To be interesting to me, it needs to be 10minutes to 500 miles charge. The battery has to be capable of doing that for at least a decade on that schedule.
That's what it will take.

The imperfect, loud, "smelly", ICE vehicles have some virtues - the energy density is actually really amazing.

The tech as it currently sits anyway, fits best for upper-class mostly suburban and urban people who commute, who can afford say a BMW, mercedes, etc.
Not that they would want that brand, but they're in the income and lifestyle bracket of those brands.

The alternative hypothesis, that gets shut out because people love to use the word "Luddite" vs really sitting down and wondering if a flavor of the moment is a fad that will come and go - that electrics have a much longer road than we realize.
With the tech as it currently sits, I don't see it replacing everything on the road, or even over 50% of it.
We might be seeing a market that's going to soon see more supply than organic demand.
That market might not be as large (for various reasons) as those who want us to buy their stocks tell us it is.

I am a skeptic on "Electrics will kill ICE in 10 years ago, er 5 years ago. Er, right now. Er, 5 years from now." thing.

ClancyO

Reaction score
I have no interest in an electric car, truck, motorcycle or even bicycle. Just none. The forgotten part of all of this is the infrastructure. Even heavy urban populations are still single digit percentage ev take rates. What happens to our infrastructure when 20-30-40% of cars are recharging? And where is that energy coming from (fossil fuels!).

I’m not holding my breathe for the demise of the ICE..

CJR28

Reaction score
I have no interest in an electric car, truck, motorcycle or even bicycle. Just none. The forgotten part of all of this is the infrastructure. Even heavy urban populations are still single digit percentage ev take rates. What happens to our infrastructure when 20-30-40% of cars are recharging? And where is that energy coming from (fossil fuels!).

I’m not holding my breathe for the demise of the ICE..

I agree, but in the meantime we will have to deal with smaller displacement engines being shoved down our throats. I dont think I will be a buyer of the 1.8L 4Cylinder Twin turbo 2035 RAM 1500 :sick:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/