5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electric truck

ClancyO

Reaction score
Agreed. I shopped ferd & chebby. My first car was a 68 mustang (302, 4brl, headers, small cam), I bled blue for a long time. GM’s fit in finish is still frustrating but the LS mill is an easy no brainer- it’s just too good. The older ford small blocks are good, the 4.6 was meh, the coyote I really like (despite its size) and I would not buy a truck with anything less than 8 cylinders arranged in a v pattern, Period. Don’t care how much they’re squeezing out of that ecoboost, they’re wringing it’s neck to get it so it just cannot last. Put 2 hairdryers on the coyote and see what it’ll do! (But for how long?). So yeah. NA, v8 for my trucks..

Last edited:

CJR28

Reaction score
I mostly agree with this, with the exception being a certain inline 6 made by Cummins.
Most likely my next truck will be a 2500 or 3500 If V8s go the way of the dodo. Im really digging the new body HD RAMs.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will I miss big block V-8 engines? Sure. But the prototype ev Mustang Cobra Jet running at the Summer Nationals at Indy this weekend has gotten my interest big time. Bob Tasca made test pass earlier this week. 8.27 / 168 mph quarter mile run. Practical? Heck no. But I've been known to own some really impractical vehicles over the years. Like this one that the Mustang would smoke. IMG_20121214_190130_020.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Will I miss big block V-8 engines? Sure. But the prototype ev Mustang Cobra Jet running at the Summer Nationals at Indy this weekend has gotten my interest big time. Bob Tasca made test pass earlier this week. 8.27 / 168 mph quarter mile run. Practical? Heck no. But I've been known to own some really impractical vehicles over the years. Like this one that the Mustang would smoke.
My racing days are long gone LOL. For me, it's about the v8 sound. I know how much performance can be achieved with electric power. But there's just something satisfying about the growl of a healthy v8 engine.

Rossum

Reaction score
Whether an electric vehicle of any sort makes sense depends on its use. If it's only driven short distances, particularly under stop-and-go conditions, and it returns to "base" where it can be re-charged at a leisurely pace overnight then there may be a very good case for it. Most regions of the US do have plenty of excess generating capacity at night.

But if the vehicle's primary use is long-distance travel, forget about it. Most of the miles my truck will get will be on trips between PA and FL and having to wait around for an hour or more several times during that drive to recharge an EV would be unacceptable to me . With a diesel and a 33 gallon tank, I only need one 5 minute stop for fuel on the entire trip. There's just no getting around the fact that current EVs will slow you down on long-distance trips.

The same thing is true with power tools. How will it be used? The chain saw I used the most often is battery-powered Husqvarna. Why? Because its use is highly intermittent. I may not use it for weeks or even a couple of months at a time, but it's always ready to go, and unlike a gas-powered one, starting it is never a problem even when it hasn't been run for a couple of months. If I used a chainsaw all day, every day, it would almost certainly be a gas one.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think we will see a combination of gas and electric vehicles for quit a while. The infrastructure and techology is not far enough along. Also I can't imagine a natural disaster where electric is out for days or weeks would be good for electric vehicle owners unless your lucky enough to have a big oil burning hole house generator.

1Zach1

Reaction score
If Ram offered an EV 1500 with 4-500 mile range for roughly the current prices I’d be all over that.

Users who are viewing this thread