5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eibach front passenger side high

jloeff

Reaction score
I have a non-ORP Bighorn that I recently had Eibach front shocks installed with ORP springs on clip #3. Eibach told me I would get a 1.2" lift at position #3 on 4wd Ram 1500 which would put me around 2.2" total lift with the ORP springs. I think I got more lift than the 2.2" but I could not find my original numbers. I ended up being 39.125" from ground to fender (23.5" from center hub best I can tell) on my driver side but the passenger side is 1/2" higher. I took back to the shop to check the the numbers on their alignment platform and confirmed that the passenger side was higher by 1/2". They visually inspected the install and did not see anything wrong. Once I got it back, I started taking some measurements and found that the passenger side is 1/2" taller from the bottom of spring to the top of the strut mount. I also checked from the top strut mount to the first 2 spring coils and they are not the distance from the top mount. I tried to take the measurement as close to the same spot on each side since this could easily be thrown off. The distance between each coil seems to be the same on each side so it doesn't seem like one spring is getting compressed more than the other. I'm trusting the first measurement from the top mount to the bottom of the spring since that is not as location sensitive. I took some pictures of each side where you can see the spring is not sitting the same. Maybe this is normal but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and would know what could cause this. The shop offered the swap the springs to see if the lean moved with the spring but I am thinking there is just something going on with the passenger side since that is sitting higher than it should. I attached pictures of what I am seeing.

Attachments

• 2023-03-25 11_53_49-Eibach - 1.png
    2023-03-25 11_53_49-Eibach - 1.png
    725.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 2023-03-25 11_53_49-Eibach - 2.png
    2023-03-25 11_53_49-Eibach - 2.png
    821.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 2023-03-25 11_53_49-Eibach - 3.png
    2023-03-25 11_53_49-Eibach - 3.png
    578.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2023-03-25 11_53_49-Eibach - 4.png
    2023-03-25 11_53_49-Eibach - 4.png
    609.1 KB · Views: 43

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well. the gas tank is on the driver side. I'm not saying that's the cause but it should be taken into account.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems normal mines is also 1/4” higher on the passenger front but will Bilsteins with stock non org springs.. probably has something to do with the tank. Regardless 1/4” shouldn’t be noticeable by eye unless you do what’ve done and start measuring. Who knows maybe in time it will settle down. They did do an alignment right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eazy1500

Reaction score
Following. I’m actually doing the same set up. Have yet to put my assembly in but was also thinking I should be getting about 2.25” lift in front once installed. But now I’m thinking maybe I should use the top clip to get just under 3” total lift.

Did you see if the bottom of the spring is seated all the way?

jloeff

Reaction score
Gas tank was 1/4 full when I took measurements so I don’t think that would have had that much effect but I am going to take another measurement when full to see if it makes any difference.
I would be ok with 1/4” off but 1/2” just seemed excessive on a new truck. Alignment was done after the install.
It looks the bottom of the spring is seated correctly but I can’t really see the top. Is there something in the top mount that could cause the spring to not fully seat?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can take your finger or use a light and feel for where the top of the spring coil touches the upper mount making sure its lined up and against it. Hope this makes sense. Arrow is where the spring would seat. (Random mount picture).

I guess if it wasn’t seated in the right position and there’s a huge gap that could effect the height.

535700c8cadeee020f9abc3068d73f64.jpg

8be9a99599bebf1c6d7c90e1a7e070f9.jpg

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If there’s a gap without me looking up how the Eibachs adjust for height assuming probably similar to Bilsteins where the clip is set then the lower mounts will rotate once the suspension is unloaded so you can just jack up the side and you should be able to rotate the spring to seat it correctly.

eazy1500

Reaction score
Same as the Bilsteins clip set up. They may have missed the clip too. And put it on the highest one not the 2nd from highest. I don’t think he’d be able to rotate it with out compressing the spring. I can take some pics of mine tomorrow. I have them in the truck (waiting to get installed some day…)
d8f148b15337f6f1885aef4c94c0155d.png

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to tweak mines slightly it was misaligned once installed. Jacked the corner up so the lower control arm will drop down and release some of the the compression on the spring and was able to rotate it enough to get it seated properly without any gaps. I don’t remember if I had to remove the lower bolt on the control arm or not.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since you didn't take before measurements, you are just chasing your teil right now. Even from factory, most vehicles aren't perfectly level side to side. You will usually have 1/4-1/2 inch difference side to side without doing anything. If you want it perfect, you may just have to find a 1/2" spacer or move the clip on one side accordingly.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@jloeff You took some good pics. I can tell just from a quick glance that the passenger side wasn’t seated properly into the isolator.

jloeff

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I have spent a lot of time reading through this forum for helpful information and would like to contribute when I hopefully get this resolved. I think at this point I'm going to have the installer check to make sure the springs are seated properly and then if it is still uneven by 1/2" I guess I will resort to moving the clip on one side.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I have spent a lot of time reading through this forum for helpful information and would like to contribute when I hopefully get this resolved. I think at this point I'm going to have the installer check to make sure the springs are seated properly and then if it is still uneven by 1/2" I guess I will resort to moving the clip on one side.
I know a lot of people will revolt at this opinion, but you could also use a 1/2” tophat spacer on one side if you needed to. I bought Wulf 1/2” tophat spacers last year and they held up well while I had that suspension set up installed. You should still figure out the core problem though.

TJ1789

Reaction score
Same as the Bilsteins clip set up. They may have missed the clip too. And put it on the highest one not the 2nd from highest. I don’t think he’d be able to rotate it with out compressing the spring. I can take some pics of mine tomorrow. I have them in the truck (waiting to get installed some day…)
d8f148b15337f6f1885aef4c94c0155d.png
I have a non-ORP Bighorn that I recently had Eibach front shocks installed with ORP springs on clip #3. Eibach told me I would get a 1.2" lift at position #3 on 4wd Ram 1500 which would put me around 2.2" total lift with the ORP springs. I think I got more lift than the 2.2" but I could not find my original numbers. I ended up being 39.125" from ground to fender (23.5" from center hub best I can tell) on my driver side but the passenger side is 1/2" higher. I took back to the shop to check the the numbers on their alignment platform and confirmed that the passenger side was higher by 1/2". They visually inspected the install and did not see anything wrong. Once I got it back, I started taking some measurements and found that the passenger side is 1/2" taller from the bottom of spring to the top of the strut mount. I also checked from the top strut mount to the first 2 spring coils and they are not the distance from the top mount. I tried to take the measurement as close to the same spot on each side since this could easily be thrown off. The distance between each coil seems to be the same on each side so it doesn't seem like one spring is getting compressed more than the other. I'm trusting the first measurement from the top mount to the bottom of the spring since that is not as location sensitive. I took some pictures of each side where you can see the spring is not sitting the same. Maybe this is normal but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and would know what could cause this. The shop offered the swap the springs to see if the lean moved with the spring but I am thinking there is just something going on with the passenger side since that is sitting higher than it should. I attached pictures of what I am seeing.
This probably is not the reason you are a 1/2 inch higher on one side, but I believe Eibach’s lift diagram is off. Guys on this forum that installed a few months ago were getting the height mentioned in their old instructions (the photo w the lift on the strut). Recently, Eibach revised their instructions to match 2wd/ 4wd and Rebel. We all know Rebels and ORP a little more lift than the stock 4wd. Compare Eibach’s new instruction to the Bilstein 5100’s and I believe there is a clerical error somewhere in Eibach’s lift diagram.

Attachments

• 53265ABE-6AB2-46A9-A7DC-6FC9BB66E35B.png
    53265ABE-6AB2-46A9-A7DC-6FC9BB66E35B.png
    214.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 6EFF62B0-7A66-4D3D-9CE2-032D9742962F.png
    6EFF62B0-7A66-4D3D-9CE2-032D9742962F.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 3E349578-C7D3-4AE4-8243-F36309AF3C1E.png
    3E349578-C7D3-4AE4-8243-F36309AF3C1E.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 25

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This probably is not the reason you are a 1/2 inch higher on one side, but I believe Eibach’s lift diagram is off. Guys on this forum that installed a few months ago were getting the height mentioned in their old instructions (the photo w the lift on the strut). Recently, Eibach revised their instructions to match 2wd/ 4wd and Rebel. We all know Rebels and ORP a little more lift than the stock 4wd. Compare Eibach’s new instruction to the Bilstein 5100’s and I believe there is a clerical error somewhere in Eibach’s lift diagram.
that shows the same lift for standard height springs on both versions of the docs for 2wd. Is that what you’re referring to?

TJ1789

Reaction score
Yeah but it doesn’t make sense lol. 2wd shouldn’t get more lift than a 4wd and a 4wd shouldn’t equal the lift of a Rebel because of the springs used. Maybe I’m wrong but I believe it’s a typo.

jloeff

Reaction score
I ran into this discrepancy because the paperwork that came in the box did not match what I saw in Eibach's online instructions from their website. I had to call them to clarify which one was correct and they told me 1.2" at 3rd clip. After doing some more digging, this may be close to what I got on the driver side. From what I found in the forums is that the Rebel/ORP measurement from center hub to fender (not sure how fender flares affect this) is around 22-22.5" in front. Since the Rebel/ORP is 1" more than non-ORP, then I should have been around 21.25" before install. I ended up at 23.5" with adding the ORP springs and the Eibach's on 3rd clip which is 2.25" total lift... Although if I look at the passenger side, I got the lift stated on the 2wd table... so who knows.

jloeff

Reaction score
UPDATE:
Took back to the shop and had them pull the passenger side strut to make sure the spring was seated correctly. They told me that it looked good so I had to resort to moving down one clip on that side. It bugs the hell out of me, but that got me to within a 1/8" of driver side. I guess that is where I am at for now.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE:
Took back to the shop and had them pull the passenger side strut to make sure the spring was seated correctly. They told me that it looked good so I had to resort to moving down one clip on that side. It bugs the hell out of me, but that got me to within a 1/8" of driver side. I guess that is where I am at for now.
If not for modifications we'd be nowhere. You gotta do what you gotta do. No big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/