5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EDT fuel additive - regular vs. performance dose ?

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
That's a great study, and one of the reasons I started using additives. Keep in mind those trucks idle a lot. A higher Cetane is most effective at reducing soot at start-up and idle, or cold, that is when a lot of soot is produced (aside from mashing the peddle.) Just a guess, but I am thinking that's why TX requires a higher cetane. Millions of trucks starting every morning, idling in traffic, a cleaner burn is going to help the environment and keep the smog equipment DPF's, etc working efficiently. I am not a tree hugger but also believe we should not poop where we eat as my dad would say. I like the DPF technology, I can have my truck backed up to the garage, and if it's running not fill my garage with toxic fumes, and this will help maintain it.

Alamgirian6329: It is my understanding that the EDT help pulls the water out per another member's thread. When he contacted Hot Shots about the amount of water he was draining out of his separator they told him that's the EDT working, sounds like you are getting the same results.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been draining the fuel filter housing on my truck every 10000km with my oil changes and haven’t noticed more than a few drops of water in the fuel that has drained out. I’ve been using hot shots secrets edt for at least two of the oil changes now.

I guess it depends a lot on how busy the station is that you use for fuel, diesel naturally attracts water and if it’s sitting around it’ll build up.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I’ve been draining the fuel filter housing on my truck every 10000km with my oil changes and haven’t noticed more than a few drops of water in the fuel that has drained out. I’ve been using hot shots secrets edt for at least two of the oil changes now.

I guess it depends a lot on how busy the station is that you use for fuel, diesel naturally attracts water and if it’s sitting around it’ll build up.
I think local fuel and local conditions have a lot to do with it. I live in the high desert very dry climate and also use high turnover gas stations. Like you, I see very little water at service intervals. Nice to know it's in there though if I get a not-so-clean tank of diesel.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score

I use a gas station that has very high turnover of Diesel/fuel (BJs membership club) - I think EDT is certainly helping and i agree with EDT customer support that its better to have all that water in the filter housing rather than in my motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, that's the entire purpose of fuel sample analysis. They're looking for anything in the fuel that is not naturally found at the pump.

My guess is that if the aftermarket additives and fuel refinery additives were the same, then there would be no need for aftermarket additives.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the owners manual either says do not use additives, or it at least strongly advises not to use them.

Here in KY we do get "winterized" fuels beginning October 15 and lasting into spring, but diesel will still gel up if it gets cold enough so I've been using an additive anyway! The fuel in my tractor froze up and stranded me a half mile from the house last month. ugh......
You guys must not get full winter additives or something. I've started my truck after sitting for 2 days in -26°C with no issues. I don't run any additives. I think it's all snake oil.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You guys must not get full winter additives or something. I've started my truck after sitting for 2 days in -26°C with no issues. I don't run any additives. I think it's all snake oil.
LOL... you may be right.

Where do you live (or, where do you BUY YOUR FUEL), where starting at -26C has no gelling issues?

I've got a minimal diesel background compared to most. The disastrous olds diesel, a kubota tractor, a mercedes 240D, and a VW TDi. Mostly in New England. Yes, years ago, cold temps would gel our fuel. Maybe the fuel is better? VW had issues with fuel pumps exploding due to low lubricity of US diesel fuel compared to their Euro fuels. Shrug. Open to learning more.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL... you may be right.

Where do you live (or, where do you BUY YOUR FUEL), where starting at -26C has no gelling issues?

I've got a minimal diesel background compared to most. The disastrous olds diesel, a kubota tractor, a mercedes 240D, and a VW TDi. Mostly in New England. Yes, years ago, cold temps would gel our fuel. Maybe the fuel is better? VW had issues with fuel pumps exploding due to low lubricity of US diesel fuel compared to their Euro fuels. Shrug. Open to learning more.
I live in Ontario Canada and I buy my fuel anywhere (major brand gas stations). I've had those temps multiple times this winter and absolutely zero issues. I don't even plug my truck in or use the front winter cover.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of Canada will switch to #1 diesel during the winter months, that combined with the inline fuel heater should prevent most gelling issues. I still run additives for peace of mind.

I’ve driven in temps as low as -32C with no additives and did not have any issues with the truck.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hot shots secrets is an awesome diesel additive. I use the extreme additive for one full tank at each oil change and the EDT when temps are above freezing. I use their anti-gel additives in the winter, as low as -30c and no issues. With the 33gallon tank I add 3oz each fill from about 1/4 tank to full.

I wouldn’t say I can tell a difference, but with all of the tests and research to back the products up I’d say it’s worth the small cost.
Where do you want buy yours up here? Can’t find it anywhere except Amazon....

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
BTW I am almost 20000 miles on my truck - used EDT performance dose or eyeballing and more than performance dose since beginning - and so far not once have had “green regen” light come on.

My understanding 5th gen does regens all along passively - but compared to many I have not had active regens.

Last time while getting oil changed at dealers - there was another guy who was complaining that his active regen light coming on alot more frequent (4th gen ED).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Does anyone know if additives are needed if using Costco diesel? Apparently Costco and Faststop are the only two diesel fuels in the US that meet Top Tier standards, which is surprising since most other brands' gasoline fuel is Top Tier. Not sure if that's just because they haven't tested them yet.

traveller09

Reaction score
Good info, debating trying Hotshots. Regarding the owners manual: all I found was on page 507 under "Notes", bullet #3 says "Commercially available fuel additives are not necessary for proper operation of your diesel engine." I didnt find anything definitive like "no, do not use".

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a 50/50 mix of Amsoil cetane boost and injector cleaner. Their all-in-one seemed a bit light, based on the spec sheets.

I get the full lubricity addition from the cleaner and the full cetane boost from the boost.

Troutbeck27

Reaction score
so 33 gallon makes it challenging to estimate the exact amount of EDT for fuel tank - especially when the tank isnt fully empty. I have been guessing, but always put in close to Performance dose and usually even a bit more. I asked EDT customer support, if slightly higher (0.5 oz - 1 oz) MORE than performance dose would do any harm to engine, and they said NO.

Now, with EDT, I have drained water from my fuel filter MORE so than without the treatment. EDT said, that fuel additive is doing its job by separating water and that extra treatment is NOT going to harm the engine - I do notice quieter motor operation AND definitely smoother/easier response from the motor with Good Diesel and Additive. I try to pump at BJs gas station that does high turnover of fuel - found this much better than cumberlands and even Shell or Mobil fuels (just subjectively while driving). I am in north-east BTW.

Will running performance dose or more be harmful for the engine ? Most diesel is 40 cetane and supposedly EDT boosts is upto 7 points, so in theory it helps the engine ?

I do mix driving, but every week do fair amount of highway driving. I have 18000 miles in first year - and have YET to have active regen/green light come on my dash. No towing, but do drive it to 80MPH on highway routinely with fuel additive in every tank since bought new - dont know if that plays a role in active regens (ones that show up on dash)/
Wouldn’t you just need about 9/10s of a shot glass to get you to the Performance Dose. A shot is 1.5 ounces.

Surely you have one of those laying around.

Last edited:

brandomc

Reaction score
Wouldn’t you just need about 9/10s of a shot glass to get you to the Performance Dose. A shot is 1.5 ounces.

Surely you have one of those laying around.
I have been using EDT with my 2020 eco diesel (33-gallon tank). I basically put in 1 1/2 "shots" per new tank of fuel. I have had zero issues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/