5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EDT fuel additive - regular vs. performance dose ?

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
so 33 gallon makes it challenging to estimate the exact amount of EDT for fuel tank - especially when the tank isnt fully empty. I have been guessing, but always put in close to Performance dose and usually even a bit more. I asked EDT customer support, if slightly higher (0.5 oz - 1 oz) MORE than performance dose would do any harm to engine, and they said NO.

Now, with EDT, I have drained water from my fuel filter MORE so than without the treatment. EDT said, that fuel additive is doing its job by separating water and that extra treatment is NOT going to harm the engine - I do notice quieter motor operation AND definitely smoother/easier response from the motor with Good Diesel and Additive. I try to pump at BJs gas station that does high turnover of fuel - found this much better than cumberlands and even Shell or Mobil fuels (just subjectively while driving). I am in north-east BTW.

Will running performance dose or more be harmful for the engine ? Most diesel is 40 cetane and supposedly EDT boosts is upto 7 points, so in theory it helps the engine ?

I do mix driving, but every week do fair amount of highway driving. I have 18000 miles in first year - and have YET to have active regen/green light come on my dash. No towing, but do drive it to 80MPH on highway routinely with fuel additive in every tank since bought new - dont know if that plays a role in active regens (ones that show up on dash)/

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I have ecodiesel on order, this will be my second one. EDT is excellent and will protect your injector pump etc money very well spent. The will "boost up to 7 points" is super subjective. I use and will be using in the new truck EDT. EDT for all the benefits it lists, but the performance dose of EDT does not have enough volume to significantly boost Cetane. Amsoil is the only cetane boost I have found that actually gives you a boost per gallon per oz reading. Not an "up to" or just "boosts Cetane" if you look at that spec sheet it takes 6 oz. of Amsoil Cetane Boost to increase cetane 8 points in 30 gallons. A performance dose of EDT is about 2.5 oz for 30 gallons, with all the other additives and lubricants in that 2.5 oz there is not a lot of room left for much Cetane boost. Having said that Cetane is not raised in linear relation to the amount added. It takes more to raise the level from 40-45 than it does from 45-50. The minimum Cetane rating at the pump is supposed to be 40. It costs money for refineries to increase cetane and there is absolutely no benefit to them or the fuel retailer. I think you would be hard-pressed to ever get diesel with a cetane above 41 at the pump. Modern engines run best at 50 and up to 53. This is a very long-winded "you are overthinking this" answer. If you are really concerned figure out where the gauge needs to be to take 25 gallons to fill it up add 2 oz. and you're done.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
interesting im learning from you guys ...so what is the fuel additive you add ? like the brand name ?

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
Hot Shots Secret Every Day Treatment "EDT" It is less than $20 to treat 200 gallons at a performance dose or 400 gallons at the regular dose. It is one of the most popular diesel fuel additives, if not the most popular. This is the choice of lots of diesel mechanics, there is even one on here that was a dealer mechanic and just ordered an ecodiesel and he recommends it too. It's less than a trip to fast food and it's the lubricity that matters the most for protecting the fuel system, cheap insurance. The slight Cetane boost will make for quicker starts and smoother idles, actually noticeable when the engine is cold, especially in a cold climate. At 80 MPH when the engine is all warmed up you will not notice much from the cetane, but again protect the fuel system IMHO.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been using Hot Shots EDT for nearly a year now, since watching that Project Farm video on YouTube where the Hot Shots brand decimated all the other brands.

I haven't noticed any increase in power for fuel economy. But, I DO notice a smoother running engine with less clatter so clearly the product is doing something.

Temperatures got down close to 0F last month and I had no issues with gelling of fuel.

If the fuel system has a high pressure pump failure, first thing Stellantis will do is require a fuel sample. If they find additive in the fuel they may or may not deny warranty coverage. So it's risky in my opinion to run it for the purpose of protecting the fuel system. I just finished my first bottle of EDT which lasted nearly an entire year. I have a fresh bottle ready to go but I'm thinking about running without it until next winter.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I have been using Hot Shots EDT for nearly a year now, since watching that Project Farm video on YouTube where the Hot Shots brand decimated all the other brands.

I haven't noticed any increase in power for fuel economy. But, I DO notice a smoother running engine with less clatter so clearly the product is doing something.

Temperatures got down close to 0F last month and I had no issues with gelling of fuel.

If the fuel system has a high pressure pump failure, first thing Stellantis will do is require a fuel sample. If they find additive in the fuel they may or may not deny warranty coverage. So it's risky in my opinion to run it for the purpose of protecting the fuel system. I just finished my first bottle of EDT which lasted nearly an entire year. I have a fresh bottle ready to go but I'm thinking about running without it until next winter.

Hmm - interesting points ! But then all fuel at the pump has additives in it. There is a noticeable difference in Northeast summer diesel and winter fuel-mix.

I agree with you and highly suspect that default answer from dealers would be “Dont run anything in the fuel” - but how would fuel analysis differentiate additives standard vs something additional ?

After one of prior posts - I almost wanted to back down to standard dose EDT (lubricity) and then add Cetane booster.

From my research there are certain areas and pumps in the nation that have 50 cetane diesel at pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just ordered my self some thx for input can i get a picture of item to confirm its the right one 😂🤣

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hot shots secrets is an awesome diesel additive. I use the extreme additive for one full tank at each oil change and the EDT when temps are above freezing. I use their anti-gel additives in the winter, as low as -30c and no issues. With the 33gallon tank I add 3oz each fill from about 1/4 tank to full.

I wouldn’t say I can tell a difference, but with all of the tests and research to back the products up I’d say it’s worth the small cost.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
Hopefully, I am not violating forum rules, this is the link to the product on their website different bottle sizes look a little different. Just make sure it says "Everyday" on it. You do not want the "Extreme" that is a once an oil change kind of treatment to clean the injectors.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok got it lol thx you can remove it if it does violate anything. i purchased the right one :)

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I have also seen 50 Cetane diesel, but only when it labeled as "Premium Diesel" and advertised as such, mostly in the south. Wouldn't be great if there was actually a standard then we could make the best-educated decision. I work in the rubber industry and know from experience the cost of raw rubber polymers varies widely depending on fuel demand. Mostly because how fuel is refined changes what byproducts are left over to make the rubber polymers. Personally, I am mostly concerned with lubricity and contaminants. I will consider "up to 7 point increase" as an added bonus on summer fuel and pay attention to how the truck is reacting when cold on winter fuel.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In theory you shouldn’t notice any issues in the winter if your station switches to #1 or winter blend diesel. These trucks also have an inline fuel heater in the filter housing to prevent gelling in the filter.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm - interesting points ! But then all fuel at the pump has additives in it. There is a noticeable difference in Northeast summer diesel and winter fuel-mix.

I agree with you and highly suspect that default answer from dealers would be “Dont run anything in the fuel” - but how would fuel analysis differentiate additives standard vs something additional ?

After one of prior posts - I almost wanted to back down to standard dose EDT (lubricity) and then add Cetane booster.

From my research there are certain areas and pumps in the nation that have 50 cetane diesel at pumps.

Well, that's the entire purpose of fuel sample analysis. They're looking for anything in the fuel that is not naturally found at the pump.

My guess is that if the aftermarket additives and fuel refinery additives were the same, then there would be no need for aftermarket additives.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the owners manual either says do not use additives, or it at least strongly advises not to use them.

Here in KY we do get "winterized" fuels beginning October 15 and lasting into spring, but diesel will still gel up if it gets cold enough so I've been using an additive anyway! The fuel in my tractor froze up and stranded me a half mile from the house last month. ugh......

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the owners manual lists a mopar fuel additive for cold weather driving.

JGRaider

Reaction score
Under the Texas Low Emissions Diesel program, our fuel must contain no more than 10 percent aromatic hydrocarbons by volume and must have a cetane number of 48 . I still use EDT in at least every other tankful. As mentioned, Amsoil is great too but more costly.

I was in the fuel business for 29 years here in TX, and we always used an additive in our fuels after the mandated ULSD sham. Additional lubricity is the biggest reason to use an good additive IMO.

Last edited:

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Anyone use EDT with Amsoil or people using either or ?

My understanding thus far from reading is:

EDT: Lubericity
Amsoil: Cetane booster

JGRaider

Reaction score
From the Amsoil site:

AMSOIL Diesel All-In-One (ADB) combines the superior detergency and improved lubricity of AMSOIL Diesel Injector Clean, the excellent cold-flow and anti-gelling properties of AMSOIL Diesel Cold Flow and the increased horsepower and cetane of AMSOIL Cetane Boost in one convenient package. It is safe for use in all diesel fuels, including biodiesel

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
That's great information, I wish we had that regulation. The last information I found was 42 for NV and 41 for UT south of Salt Lake and 40 for north of Salt Lake. That is my stomping ground. I use a performance dose of EDT and 4 oz of Amsoil Cetane Boost in 30 gallons. The Amsoil takes the Cetane to about 46 and the EDT has all the additives I want + some unknowable Cetane boost, which should be close to 50. I have a membership to Amsoil, I and one of my salesmen go through enough oil we get the discount and free shipping so it's nice. He just turned 275K on his ecodiesel. I don't sweat the Cetane boost in the summer fuel if I run out for a week or two, but always run EDT. I am not much of a brand fanatic but I trust these two manufactures. Theoretically the higher Cetane should reduce regens, make the PDF, etc last longer, cheap insurance.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's hard to find much in the law regarding diesel sold in Kentucky. The legislature did add in 2006 when ULSD became a thing that they wanted "at least 2% biodiesel" blended with the fuel. Biodiesel does add lubricity.

The Hot Shots EDT promises up to 7 point cetane increase, improved MPG, and no freezing.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
That's great information, I wish we had that regulation. The last information I found was 42 for NV and 41 for UT south of Salt Lake and 40 for north of Salt Lake. That is my stomping ground. I use a performance dose of EDT and 4 oz of Amsoil Cetane Boost in 30 gallons. The Amsoil takes the Cetane to about 46 and the EDT has all the additives I want + some unknowable Cetane boost, which should be close to 50. I have a membership to Amsoil, I and one of my salesmen go through enough oil we get the discount and free shipping so it's nice. He just turned 275K on his ecodiesel. I don't sweat the Cetane boost in the summer fuel if I run out for a week or two, but always run EDT. I am not much of a brand fanatic but I trust these two manufactures. Theoretically the higher Cetane should reduce regens, make the PDF, etc last longer, cheap insurance.

Damn.... now I regret not using Amsoil for my first 18K miles - but like yourself, I am on generous side of EDT with approx 4oz every fillup (quarter tank or less) - and after 15K when I changed my fuel filter, there was a 12-16oz of water that drained from the fuel filter housing.

Will be ordering Amsoil - wish Amazon stocked it :(

Users who are viewing this thread