5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EDT fuel additive - regular vs. performance dose ?

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Wouldn’t you just need about 9/10s of a shot glass to get you to the Performance Dose. A shot is 1.5 ounces.

Surely you have one of those laying around.

I believe the performance dose is 2oz for 25 gallons.
So for my 33 gallon, I usually end up putting 3 oz EDT and another 3oz or so of LX4.

In south, they dont winterize diesel fuel - I had my truck not start for the first tome during last winters Freeze Temps/wave down south - never had that issue, ever, in the North. Luckily turned engine block heater for a few hours and was able to start the truck - else diesel gelling in fuel lines could have been bigger problem.

So now my winter ****tail is:
3 oz EDT
3 oz LX4
2-3oz of Lucas Anti-Gel

After I run out of Lucas - I will switch to EDT Winter formula (appears to be new product ? i didnt know/saw jt before)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the performance dose is 2oz for 25 gallons.
So for my 33 gallon, I usually end up putting 3 oz EDT and another 3oz or so of LX4.

In south, they dont winterize diesel fuel - I had my truck not start for the first tome during last winters Freeze Temps/wave down south - never had that issue, ever, in the North. Luckily turned engine block heater for a few hours and was able to start the truck - else diesel gelling in fuel lines could have been bigger problem.

So now my winter ****tail is:
3 oz EDT
3 oz LX4
2-3oz of Lucas Anti-Gel

After I run out of Lucas - I will switch to EDT Winter formula (appears to be new product ? i didnt know/saw jt before)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve used Hot Shot’s EDT (3oz) or Hot Shot’s winter anti gel (4oz) in every tank of my 2020 and now 2022 ecodiesel. No issues with gelling or no starts in the winter even without using the block heater, and I’ve seen temps down to -37.

Grille cover goes on mid October and doesn’t come off my truck until May if I am lucky. Diesel is switched over early October to a winter blend or #1 diesel depending on the station you get fuel at. Can usually tell when as the price goes up 30% overnight and stays there until the winter is over.

These trucks also have a heater built into the fuel filter housing which should prevent gelling in most cases, if I remember I will fill a mason jar up with winter diesel and summer diesel and compare the two next winter.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

These trucks also have a heater built into the fuel filter housing which should prevent gelling in most cases, if I remember I will fill a mason jar up with winter diesel and summer diesel and compare the two next winter.

I did not know that. Do you have a reference about the fuel filter being heated?

Thanks.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not know that. Do you have a reference about the fuel filter being heated?

Thanks.
I have to do more digging, but maybe it’s a Canada only thing, or it was removed. It is mentioned on page 220 of the owners manual for my 2020, but not the newest version of the 2022 manual online.

One way to check is if there is a fuse installed in spot 46 of your underhood fuse box. My truck is at the dealer currently, so I cannot confirm if this is on the 2022 trucks or not.

Edit: same part number for the fuel filter housing for 2020-2023 from what I can see.

Attachments

• IMG_0671.png
    IMG_0671.png
    300.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to do more digging, but maybe it’s a Canada only thing, or it was removed. It is mentioned on page 220 of the owners manual for my 2020, but not the newest version of the 2022 manual online.

One way to check is if there is a fuse installed in spot 46 of your underhood fuse box. My truck is at the dealer currently, so I cannot confirm if this is on the 2022 trucks or not.

Edit: same part number for the fuel filter housing for 2020-2023 from what I can see.

Edited: I was wrong about the connector. See the next post downstream...

Gotcha.

I have several fuel filter housings for my US 2021 Ecodiesel (and my son's 2022). The only electrical connection is for the water sensor. (Insanely, it was cheaper to buy an entire new filter housing, with mounting bracket AND filter already installed...than to just buy a new filter. So, I bought a half-dozen.)

Plus, my manual is different:

Fuel.JPG

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I pulled out some of my spare filter housings. Here are some pix...

Filter 1.jpg

The above shows the complete filter assembly, with the part number for those interested...

Next picture:

Filter 2.jpg

This clearly shows that there are two connectors. ;)

The two-prong connector is for the water sensor.

Next pic...

Filter 3.jpg

Above is looking straight "up" into the housing. (This is how you'd see it if you unscrewed the bottom and were under your truck, looking up.

The two-prong connectors can be seen coming in at about 4 o'clock. They continue to the two prongs, at the lowest point of the filter mount core. (It's hollow, with a mesh.) Under that center core, at 6 o'clock, you can see the plastic "bulge" that leads from the core to the outflow connector.

The four-prong connector, entering at 2 o'clock, connects to those plates...and I'm not sure where else.

I'll disassemble this later and run a multimeter around it.

I could easily be convinced that the 4-prong connector has some sort of heating function.

Thanks...and sorry for posting wrong information in my previous post.

Users who are viewing this thread