5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*Ecodiesel Owners

ErnestRocks19

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Dodge Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and noticed after having the recall done the truck now idles around 17PSI which is awfully low IMO. Just curious what other ecodiesel owners are seeing their idle oil pressure at. I also have smoke coming off the top cap under the hood but no lights on, however there is a slight smell of oil burning.

BayouBengal

Reaction score
It’s my understanding the oil pressure is a calculation based on oil temp and engine rpm like the Gen 2 Ecos. I think mine is normally around 19-21 psi at idle once warm, but if it’s a calculation I would expect us to have similar pressures. There’s a low pressure switch if the pressure gets too low.

Smoke and oil burning smell doesn’t sound good though, I would be on my way to the dealer!

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Mine also indicates 19-21 PSI when warm and idling in gear. I'd definitely be heading to the dealer if you're smelling burning oil, could just be a little residue burning off, or it could be a serious issue. Fingers crossed for you.

ErnestRocks19

Reaction score
Wanted to make sure the guys were not hanking my chain about it being under 20psi when idling. They told me that's normal which is kind of weird to me but what has be going is the smoke coming off the top of the oil cap and some oil on the block.
Mine also indicates 19-21 PSI when warm and idling in gear. I'd definitely be heading to the dealer if you're smelling burning oil, could just be a little residue burning off, or it could be a serious issue. Fingers crossed for you.

Htsderek

Reaction score
Which recall, the HPFP? Was any other work done at the same time?

I didn't think that replacing the HPFP involved any work on the top of the engine but I haven't looked for the procedures either. Maybe draining the oil is part of it, if removing the HPFP exposes internal areas of the engine?

I normally see 20-23 psi at idle, pre-HPFP recall. I'm waiting on parts to have the recall completed on my truck, I'll try to figure out what the documented steps are for replacing the pump and pay attention to my oil pressure afterwards.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 EcoDiesel (HPFP recall work NOT done yet) shows 20-21 PSI oil pressure at idle when warm. My understanding is that in order to save fuel, the oil pumps are variable-output. At idle, you don't need 30+ PSI oil pressure, assuming you have the right oil (i.e. not the 0W-40 oil of yesteryear).

ErnestRocks19

Reaction score
Which recall, the HPFP? Was any other work done at the same time?

I didn't think that replacing the HPFP involved any work on the top of the engine but I haven't looked for the procedures either. Maybe draining the oil is part of it, if removing the HPFP exposes internal areas of the engine?

I normally see 20-23 psi at idle, pre-HPFP recall. I'm waiting on parts to have the recall completed on my truck, I'll try to figure out what the documented steps are for replacing the pump and pay attention to my oil pressure afterwards.
I don't believe it does but noticed oil on top of the block after their service which I found odd and now it's smoking out the cap. So not sure if maybe there's a correlation if any at all to the HPFP they did. Dealer stated they replace HPFP then test for contaminents in the fuel lines and other various parts of the motor.

ErnestRocks19

Reaction score
My 2020 EcoDiesel (HPFP recall work NOT done yet) shows 20-21 PSI oil pressure at idle when warm. My understanding is that in order to save fuel, the oil pumps are variable-output. At idle, you don't need 30+ PSI oil pressure, assuming you have the right oil (i.e. not the 0W-40 oil of yesteryear).
This would make sense. I never paid attention to the little details until the 8 recall notices I've received over the last year or less.

ErnestRocks19

Reaction score
Here is the recall.
Makes sense now why my oil cap was cross threaded allowing for oil to come out and why I had oil on the engine block. They did say they had to pull the top parts off to replace the high pressure fuel pump

Users who are viewing this thread