5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecodiesel mds or etorque?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
MDS makes no sense on a Diesel. It can reduce pumping losses on gas engines that run in air-starved mode most of the time, but Diesels flow full air all the time so nothing to be gained.

eTorque disappointed me from a design standpoint. Motor/generator is too small to do much useful work other than start/stop, and the belt drive is just plain wimpy. Should have been as powerful as the ICE it is paired with and integrated into the bellhousing/transmission. Also should have gone full 48V, or maybe even 96 or 160 and eliminate the starter and 12V altogether. It's a committee-design Frankenstein system that should be put out of its misery and never again inflicted upon any engine.

Both stupid ideas on a Diesel. There I said it! Change my mind...
So many people like myself are so down for a true Hybrid ram. One that charges itself with no need or ability to plug in like a Prius.
I want a Prius with a v8 and 400+ HP. Also not on a Prius chassis.
Would be great if the engine could switch over to electrical when coasting on the highway around 1500 RPMs, that's where you can save some gas easy... Maybe even a dedicated button to enable\disable the Hybrid features for when you don't want it to attempt to engage.

Too bad that will never happen.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want a Prius with a v8 and 400+ HP. Also not on a Prius chassis.
I thought the Fiat 500 would be a fun platform for that, or maybe the Spider. But I guess both of those are out of production, so how about the Hornet? Yeah, someone stuff a hemi into one of those! Would that be a Hemnet, or a Horni? :LOL: Just do it, you know you want to. :devilish:

Last edited:

dski

Reaction score
I would like a true hybrid. I find the etorque helps me hit the city window sticker but it is pretty limited.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm hoping for plugin with range extender. Electric drive can make things simple and reliable, but I can't count on being near a charging station. I'll carry a generator and fuel cans with me if I have to, but it would be much better if it was just built that way and integrated.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hoping for plugin with range extender. Electric drive can make things simple and reliable, but I can't count on being near a charging station. I'll carry a generator and fuel cans with me if I have to, but it would be much better if it was just built that way and integrated.
The RAM will have a range extender, and in principle is a hybrid...:eek:

3 2 1

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, that's probably a year and a half away, so we'll see what they actually decide to build. 🤞
With fingers crossed we can hope the hurricane engine can be mated with electric for that hybrid.

They got the 4XE jeeps...RAM is usually right behind Jeep, both for the sake of the brand and trying to make it more robust.

A hybrid truck, where I can drive my 2 miles to work everyday on electric, and then on my way to the forest recharge with braking and the 392 HEMI then silently crawl through the forest charging with braking...oh...yeah...I will buy a new truck for that.

I am actually very excited for the RAM REV and the Dodge Charger Daytona. If I had the use case for them...I would have one of each.

But right now the only thing on my mind is DEMON 170 😈!!!!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With fingers crossed we can hope the hurricane engine can be mated with electric for that hybrid.

What I actually had in mind was something small like a turbine or a flat four driving a generator at whatever the most efficient speed is, to do nothing but make electricity. The Hurricane might actually be bigger than necessary. But more is better sometimes, too. 🍻

Users who are viewing this thread