5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecodiesel Issues? Look out for?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the GDE tune is out and the border opens I'll be making the drive to Michigan to get a tune. I love my ED but it could definitely use a few refinements in tuning that I'm sure GDE will take care of. Also a few extra ponies and TQ is always nice.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will also be buying GDE’s tune right away when it comes available. This is my first diesel and I did months of reading on one of the ram1500 diesel forums. Didn’t find one bad thing posted about GDE’s tunes

MacFly

Reaction score
I run GDE’s original tune (EGR turned off) since 30k. The 400k mile truck runs SKTs (EGR turned off) Son in law runs HD Diesel’s tune (EGR turned off). Recently some have been happy with MR Tuning’s tune. There are also people happy with GDE’s leaves EGR on tune. Never heard of anyone regretting investing in an aftermarket tune.

When GDE releases their tune for the new gen ED I would buy it. In part for the benefits of towing in the mountains with the engine brake.

MacFly, Don’t do a delete on the new gen ED. Leave the emissions intact. Just run a tune for the better engine management injections timing emissions management etc.
I've been running a tune on my Turd-Gen Tacoma, but I'm not happy with how the tuner runs his business. I work in Colorado in the summers at around 9,500ft in the mountains, so anything that helps with altitude and engine braking is definitely on the to-do list for sure. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2021 Rams with Cummins engines went back to the old and reliable CP3 injection pump. I would have sure felt a lot better if Ram had done the same on the VM engines.

mhatland

Reaction score
As you mentioned there are hero's and dogs, I have been driving in a 2016 fully loaded Laramie ECO Diesel and love the engine, have a 125,000 miles on it. As an old fart that has too many miles on my frame I have driven almost everything through the years and have found a couple key factors, maintain the engine, even better than the schedule and in the case of the diesel do not buy it if the majority of your time is city driving. I commute 75 miles each way to work, each day. The benefits of the diesel are there for me and I get great towing from the engine. Had the opportunity to drive the big V8 and my truck (both same year, 4x4 crew cabs with 6'4" beds, standard gear ratio, no tow package other than electronic brakes) and used each to tow a 7000 lb dingo and trailer. Each pulled the load with no issue but the gas engine did whine a lot when going up the hill, the diesel never changed sound or acted differently. I did go through the EGR issue, FCA replaced the busted one for free, I did the software emission recall which did add some annoying lag in the throttle and FCA paid me $3,000 for that recall. Just ordered a 2020 fully loaded Laramie with the new Diesel so time will tell what this one will be like. They are not for everyone but if used right and maintained a diesel is a great choice.
Just purchased a 2020 1500 Lonestar with Echo Diesel, any tips for this newbie Diesel owners. Any winter tips. You sound like a sensible person thanks for your thoughts

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hot shots EDT in every tank. Diesel Extreme at oil changes. Buy some engine, fuel and oil filters from Doc's and do that part yourself. Very easy. For winter (if you're up north like us Northerners - Hotshots Winter EDT during the cold months. Run the front cover in the winter. Hmmmm......so far mine has been amazing except the recalled HPFP (which is now becoming available).

Paco

Reaction score
My 2014 Eco fuel pump went out last year.
295,000 Kms. (used it to tow my tandem dump trailer 8 months of the year for 8 years.)
GDE TUNED.

Since it had a recall and no parts i decided to buy a New 2022 Rebel with a eco diesel.
My 2014 never missed a days work.

My 2022 eco I bought in July has run great. (No Tune Yet).
MY best highway mileage was 1301 KMs on 109 liters of fuel.
Thats 1 tank of gas by the way.( Changed ****t Duratrack for a Good highway tire.
Look forward to the CP3 recall being done.
Best truck and motor combo I have ever owned.

Users who are viewing this thread