5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ecodiesel driving experience

JBV

Reaction score
so is it the be all end all? do you just drive up and down hills and the tach barely moves and the truck just pulls at any speed without a fuss? is that what it's all about? i've always wanted to know. the few reviews don't really go into any depth.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd call it the end all be all, but the torque on this engine is pretty amazing. It chugs along pretty well at any speed and at a comfortable RPM and does not need to downshift like a gas engine on hills. I find my Ecodiesel to be the smoothest, quietest, most comfortable truck I've ever owned. It really shines if you do a lot of highway driving or towing. The Ecodiesel gets off the line much quicker towing our camper than my 2500 with 6.4 Hemi did. Overall towing with the Ecodiesel is a much more pleasant experience. If you do more in town driving and make a lot of short trips the Ecodiesel is not the best choice, you really need to do a good bit of highway driving or towing to take advantage of the Ecodiesel's benefits. I love mine and don't see myself ever going back to a gas engine after driving this truck for the last 1 1/2 years.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All prior diesels I've driven were that way. Transmission holds gears forever because all the torque is down low. You could accelerate without ever downshifting. VERY nice driving experience. None of the engine revving up and down and up and down like a gas engine. Just steady and strong. Even my old Jeep Liberty CRD was like that. Dip into the throttle and it would put me into the seat without downshifting. Niccceeee!!!!

This Gen 3 EcoDiesel is very different. The trans. shifts all the time just like a gas engine. And the throttle response is absolutely horrible. If you need to move out of the way quickly, you push the throttle, make a ham sandwich, flip through your Facebook feed for a while, check the stock market, take a sip of Pepsi, and then the truck takes off. It's not typical diesel behavior.

The only time the diesel advantage and normalcy that I'm used to is realized with this powertrain is when I'm towing. At steady speed with the cruise control set, the low end torque becomes noticeable as the truck stays in overdrive gears (7th and 8th) almost constantly which a gas engine won't do.

Having said that, I wouldn't go back to a gas V8 in this truck. The EcoDiesel is better suited.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
This Gen 3 EcoDiesel is very different. The trans. shifts all the time just like a gas engine. And the throttle response is absolutely horrible. If you need to move out of the way quickly, you push the throttle, make a ham sandwich, flip through your Facebook feed for a while, check the stock market, take a sip of Pepsi, and then the truck takes off. It's not typical diesel

100% agreed, but worth every check your pants moment when trying to turn through traffic. 🤣

2012 4th gen SXT crew Hemi awaiting retirement. Ordered 2021 Rebel Billet Silver Metallic EcoDiesel March 10, built May 18 awaiting shipping. Dutchmen 268bhs 33’ trailer.

Croaker

Reaction score
it is my daily driver. Short trips or long trips. Very quiet. Smooth on the freeway. I have towed my 29’ Travel Trailer from Southern California to Yellowstone NP, and many trips up the coast to N. California, Washington, and all parts in-between. No problems….except the EGR Cooler, and software smog updates.

Love this truck. That’s why I ordered another one.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i love the car only downfall is the throttle response when having to zip around someone its just a laggy take off. but over all its been good to me i commute alot of highway

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This Gen 3 EcoDiesel is very different. The trans. shifts all the time just like a gas engine. And the throttle response is absolutely horrible. If you need to move out of the way quickly, you push the throttle, make a ham sandwich, flip through your Facebook feed for a while, check the stock market, take a sip of Pepsi, and then the truck takes off. It's not typical diesel behavior.
You really need to get the throttle TSB done or get a pedal commander or like.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The one negative about diesels ( I just traded in 2020 Silverado rst z71 duramax) is if you need to chill in your truck waiting on someone or something you will freeze to death because they highly recommend not idling the engine. Not sure about ram but my Silverado kept track of idle time. FYI I’m waiting on delivery of my new 2021 Rebel

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But 100 percent that duramax was a beautiful engine. 95mph on highway at 1800 rpm. Sick!!!!!

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All prior diesels I've driven were that way. Transmission holds gears forever because all the torque is down low. You could accelerate without ever downshifting. VERY nice driving experience. None of the engine revving up and down and up and down like a gas engine. Just steady and strong. Even my old Jeep Liberty CRD was like that. Dip into the throttle and it would put me into the seat without downshifting. Niccceeee!!!!

The only time the diesel advantage and normalcy that I'm used to is realized with this powertrain is when I'm towing. At steady speed with the cruise control set, the low end torque becomes noticeable as the truck stays in overdrive gears (7th and 8th) almost constantly which a gas engine won't do.

Having said that, I wouldn't go back to a gas V8 in this truck. The EcoDiesel is better suited.
Take your truck to a dealer and have them check your throttle response, I had mine done and it is better.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i was thinking of doing banks pedal and deringer ... but after warranty i may just do a flash by. diesels of cananda good reviews. from both.

Bad Notch

Reaction score
Power everywhere. Honestly the Hemi shouldn't even be an option in this truck. The around town and highway mileage is crazy. Plenty of power for passing on the highway.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take your truck to a dealer and have them check your throttle response, I had mine done and it is better.

That's been done twice in the last 18 months. Both times there were software updates performed. It's no better at all. Some other issues were addressed like the crappy cruise control function but the driveability still lacks.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Power everywhere. Honestly the Hemi shouldn't even be an option in this truck. The around town and highway mileage is crazy. Plenty of power for passing on the highway.

The hemi destroys the ED in 0 to 60 or 0 to anywhere for that matter. Especially on the highway at passing speeds, the Hemi is much stronger. Almost 400 HP vs 270ish, it's no contest. It also gives you more payload for the same truck (all else being equal).

I'm not saying the ED is a bad choice, I'm considering one myself; but it's beyond me why you guys want to take away options. All 3 engines have pros and cons and are a better fit depending on your priorities and what you're willing to give up.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
For me the ED doubles my towing mileage and my unloaded mileage with only a 150lb payload difference between rebels with the same options. I also like the fact that I’m not sitting at a constant 3000 or 6000rpm towing in the Canadian Rockies with temps having to be constantly watched, that got old fast with my Hemi, so did 6.5mpgs and sometimes less.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For me the ED doubles my towing mileage and my unloaded mileage with only a 150lb payload difference between rebels with the same options. I also like the fact that I’m not sitting at a constant 3000 or 6000rpm towing in the Canadian Rockies with temps having to be constantly watched, that got old fast with my Hemi, so did 6.5mpgs and sometimes less.

Redline on the ED is far lower than it is on the Hemi; so it's just an audio thing for you, if your ED is at 3000+ rpms you're working it quite hard (whereas 3000 rpms on the hemi is just past half redline) and you will need to watch temps there too. The redline on hemi is higher so naturally you will hear it rev through a wider range, nothing wrong with that. Some guys love nothing better than to hear a hemi getting after it.

For my towing, my truck is sitting in 6th at about 2200 rpms and it just lives there. Occasionally it drops down a gear and goes up to 2700 rpms, and when it's working on a bigger hill, 3200 rpms. I have not towed in the mountains. But I'm not scared of working it either, they put the 5.7 in the 2500 for years so its obvious it can be worked and take a bit of a beating.

For me the biggest drawback of the ED is weak(er) acceleration, EGR problems, and poor tuning. I need to find someone that will let me tow with one though, just to see what I'm missing!

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 fully-loaded Laramie Longhorn 4x4 Ecodiesel with 3.21 differential drives beautifully, although there definitely is a bit of throttle lag. Not horrible lag, but noticeable, and one does have to plan ahead a bit to compensate for the lag.
I would have preferred a 3.55 rear-end ratio, but in 2020 the only choices for the Ecodiesel were 3.21 & 3.92.
In routine driving from 1,000 ft elevation to 4,500 ft on the freeway, my 3.21:1 will downshift in a couple of places, but only from 8th to 7th gear.
Driven carefully and unloaded, it consistently delivers 26 MPG (hand calculated, not dashboard readout) in a mix that's 70% highway, 30% city.
I love my 2020 Ecodiesel.

Every20years

Reaction score
I have yet to notice a lag on the throttle. Have towed anything yet (only had it a month an 1000 miles). But getting on the interstate going from an on ramp at 50 to 75 mph is great. Of course anything beats the 4 cyl I drove for the last three years. It’s also better than the 4.7L V8 in my Dakota. I’ll have to play with the acceleration but used to have a GM diesel in a 1981 Grand Prix and it was all about NOT just mashing the pedal but timing and smooth power. If you push too hard it would dog but as long as you didn’t get ahead of the engine it was fine. I think that applies to the EcoDiesel also. Let the turbo get started then it will go just fine. Just know you don’t have afterburners to get out of a bad situation.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just finished a 186 mile trip towing my enclosed 8x16 trailer loaded with appliances, 21 mpg (imperial), this eco diesel is so efficient, my 2011 outdoorsman with the Hemi did 23.5 mpg at best without towing and the best I did towing the same trailer was 13 mpg, exact same trip.
The speed limit 50 mph so I drove at 55 and let it go down to 50 on hills. I had it in tow haul at the beginning but it revs too much for nothing, I kept an eye on the transmission temp, it stayed at the same temp the whole way, it was also unusually hot today here in northern Ontario, it was 80 Fahrenheit, it I was in 8 gear most of the time, it shifted to 6th on a few hills, but usually only down to 7th. I am at 1000 ft above sea level, but having a turbocharged engine it is not affected as much as naturally aspirated engines.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2019 Hemi. Hated it. Constantly downshifted, needed to be wound out to get any power. Rarely ran in MDS and got 17-18mpg.

Traded it on a 2020 ED and love it. Never downshifts on hills, accelerates up them easily in 8th. 28-30mpg highway. Tows like a dream and barely works. Had a bit of lag but TSB took care of that.

Yes it's not as fast as Hemi, but hemis aren't fast either. Yes it's more expensive to maintain, but you can do a lot of stuff yourself. Wxman has a YouTube channel with a lot of how to's and you can save some serious $$ doing maintenance yourself. Yes modern diesels take DEF, this is such a small cost I don't even consider it. $17 every 6-7,000 miles.

In Ontario Canada diesel is currently 10-15 cents a litre cheaper than gas.

Users who are viewing this thread