5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ECO mode

Keith

Reaction score
Are there any tricks to get the ECO mode to work

KcRay

Reaction score
No trick,other than driving mellow. You may have to turn on the setting that let's you see when the eco is on. I don't remember if is in the uconnect settings, or the steering wheel button settings. The eco light shows over by the tachometer.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As KcRay posted, eco mode/MDS is standard, if you wish to see the ECO lamp in the dash display it has to be toggled on via the Uconnect settings menu.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are there any tricks to get the ECO mode to work

The other thing is it seems to start coming on more and more after the first oil and second oil change after the engine breaks in a bit more. Mine started appearing much more after 7,000 miles and also when the temperature got warmer.

Kungfubhuda

Reaction score
The other thing is it seems to start coming on more and more after the first oil and second oil change after the engine breaks in a bit more. Mine started appearing much more after 7,000 miles and also when the temperature got warmer.

Any known reason for this? Two dealers told me that engines don't really break in these days and that I shouldn't expect any change. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to be wrong...

My Eco mode doesn't seem to come on for any rhyme or reason unless I'm going downhill. Yesterday I hit 75 and it briefly turned on (first time ever at that speed) 30 seconds later, I couldn't get it to turn on at 50, flat ground. Sometimes I wonder if there's a software glitch.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get up to speed; then back off the pedal slowly to maintain the speed. Once you are up to speed, it takes very little pedal to maintain it (providing you are not loaded). I can get my MDS to kick on by slowly letting up on the pedal; then holding it there once the MDS light comes on.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My eco/mds hardly came on until I was over 1,000 miles. My thinking is that they don't want to drop cylinders much during early use. It's on more and more as I've been putting miles on it. I'm about 8,400 miles now and the Eco light is on a lot.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Not so mine comes on all the time, heck I can get it to come on going up the street to my house and it has a hill. I only got 2870km(1740 miles) on mine so hardly even broken in.

Last edited:

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Mine is on frequently every time I drive it ... Has been from the first time I drove it off the lot. I'll give partial credit to Texas flatness for that. I wouldn't know it's on if it wasn't for that light. I like to think I have a pretty sensitive butt dyno, but the Ram fools me.

Jtc411

Reaction score
My mds/eco kicks in allll the time almost to a fault. Only 1500 miles. If you’re hard on the gas it’s not gonna come on. If you get up to speed like the previous person said and stay low on the throttle it will go into eco

Kungfubhuda

Reaction score
I've tried every combination of acceleration and letting off that I can think of. Eco just seems to come on randomly. I'm not convinced there aren't software glitches that need to be addressed. After noticing how hard my truck down shifts, I wouldn't be surprised. Great truck. Poor software quality.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are large vehicles with a lot of mass. I've had several cars and Jeeps with 5.7 HEMIs and MDS would definitely kick in easier... they were smaller and lighter. Above 60~ MPH, MDS is rare in these trucks without going downhill or with a tail wind. Even at lower speeds, any sort of incline can kick it back over to 8 cylinders. Just gotta accept it.

Evoking1230

Reaction score
Get up to speed; then back off the pedal slowly to maintain the speed. Once you are up to speed, it takes very little pedal to maintain it (providing you are not loaded). I can get my MDS to kick on by slowly letting up on the pedal; then holding it there once the MDS light comes on.
This.

This is also how I drive normally to help with fuel mileage on my Altima. I am getting the ECO light on command doing the above. 175 miles on the clock.

snj1013

Reaction score
My truck doesn't to be kicking into Eco mode as often on the highway now that the temperature is a bit cooler. I'm in Houston, so when I say cooler, I'm referring to temps below 70. Sounds like this is somewhat normal but the engineer in me doesn't get it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Eco mode comes on only when you have light to no load on the motor, even relatively casual driving it may not activate.

As mentioned, easy driving off or light throttle will usually get it to turn on, along with coasting. If you live in a constantly flat area, you will see it turn on more often than if you live in a hilly area or even light elevation changes.

Konrad

Reaction score
Having learned to drive back in the 80s in a communist country, where gas was rationed (Poland), I have a very light foot. I guess it's one of those things you cannot just un-learn or forget - like riding a bicycle. We had a 36 liter / month limit back then, for fk's sake... That's 9.5 gallons

My ECO lamp is on almost all the time .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

snj1013

Reaction score
Eco mode comes on only when you have light to no load on the motor, even relatively casual driving it may not activate.

As mentioned, easy driving off or light throttle will usually get it to turn on, along with coasting. If you live in a constantly flat area, you will see it turn on more often than if you live in a hilly area or even light elevation changes.
I understand having to have a light food to engage Eco mode. What I don't understand is why it isn't coming on as much lately with temps a little cooler. I live in Houston. Most highways are flat as a pancake.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I understand having to have a light food to engage Eco mode. What I don't understand is why it isn't coming on as much lately with temps a little cooler. I live in Houston. Most highways are flat as a pancake.

So it's still coming on, but not as often. I can only guess it has to do with the outside parameters that triggers engagement. Also, when is the last time you got an oil change? The system is dependent on the oil viscosity.

Users who are viewing this thread