5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eco mode

StitchTrusty

Reaction score
My truck is being worked on my dealership due to possible exhaust manifold bolts needed to be replaced & headliner replaced again but anyways was wondering if it mattered that I had driven my truck for it’s first long trip & kept it on eco mode the whole drive? Is it irrelevant if I had turned the eco mode off, would that have prevented the exhaust manifold leak from even occurring? I literally forgot to turn the eco mode off.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't think ECO/MDS has anything to do with the exhaust manifold bolts. Those are a well known common issue with the Hemi engine, for generations even. Why they continue to be a problem I don't know.

StitchTrusty

Reaction score
I don't think ECO/MDS has anything to do with the exhaust manifold bolts. Those are a well known common issue with the Hemi engine, for generations even. Why they continue to be a problem I don't know.

StitchTrusty

Reaction score
Yes it’s insane how many years of Ram owners that have had issues with the manifold. I was shocked after the research I did.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
mds could cause more vibration. This theory hasn’t been entertained from what I’ve read.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
My truck is being worked on my dealership due to possible exhaust manifold bolts needed to be replaced & headliner replaced again but anyways was wondering if it mattered that I had driven my truck for it’s first long trip & kept it on eco mode the whole drive? Is it irrelevant if I had turned the eco mode off, would that have prevented the exhaust manifold leak from even occurring? I literally forgot to turn the eco mode off.
I don't think Eco mode is something you can turn on and off like that. The truck does it all by itself. It shouldn't have any impact on the engine. The engine is doing what it's designed to do automatically.

Scram1500

Reaction score
ECO mode can be disabled through the +/- gear selector.

There is exhaust coming out of the firing cylinders and nothing coming out of the MDS cylinders. The difference between cold and hot might be the source of warping the exhaust manifold

Florida RAM

Reaction score
ECO mode can be disabled through the +/- gear selector.

There is exhaust coming out of the firing cylinders and nothing coming out of the MDS cylinders. The difference between cold and hot might be the source of warping the exhaust manifold
Correct, but that is not the same as turning it on or off. My old BMW actually had Sport/Normal/Eco modes that you could manually select with a button. That is not an option on Ram. Using the gear selector is a trick to keep it from entering higher gears. And even when the engine shuts down two cylinders, it's never more than a few seconds at a time, except maybe if you are on a long decline.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MDS allows the valves to stay closed, it creates an air spring inside the cylinder to help reduce pumping losses from rolling around the extra cylinders that aren't being used. None of that "cold" air is leaving the cylinder.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Correct, but that is not the same as turning it on or off. My old BMW actually had Sport/Normal/Eco modes that you could manually select with a button. That is not an option on Ram. Using the gear selector is a trick to keep it from entering higher gears. And even when the engine shuts down two cylinders, it's never more than a few seconds at a time, except maybe if you are on a long decline.
It shuts down four cylinders, numbers 1, 4, 6, and 7. It has also been proven that using the gear limiter turns off MDS/ECO mode

MDS allows the valves to stay closed, it creates an air spring inside the cylinder to help reduce pumping losses from rolling around the extra cylinders that aren't being used. None of that "cold" air is leaving the cylinder.
Cold air leaving is not leaving the cylinder, but there is a cold spot next to a hot spot

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Dissimilar metals and rate of expansion when heated, and design is why they crack.

Other manufactures have mds and don’t suffer from manifold cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florida RAM

Reaction score
It shuts down four cylinders, numbers 1, 4, 6, and 7. It has also been proven that using the gear limiter turns off MDS/ECO mode

Cold air leaving is not leaving the cylinder, but there is a cold spot next to a hot spot
Yes, but it's not the same as turning off the ECO mode. It just tricks the system. There is no on/off Eco button like in some vehicles. The gear limiter just ensures that the engine never enters higher gears, thus keeping RPMs higher so the engine never shuts down the cylinders. To the OPs concern, there is no such thing as leaving the ECO mode on. It's always on. It's engineered to do that.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dissimilar metals and rate of expansion when heated, and design is why they crack.

Other manufactures have mds and don’t suffer from manifold cracking.

You would think a company that has been making vehicles for 100 years would know how to design this part, which has been on every ICE in existence.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
The holy dollar!!

Gm had issues with the early 5.3 trucks. But eventually figured it out.

Although it does seem less common on the newer rams.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Yes, but it's not the same as turning off the ECO mode. It just tricks the system. There is no on/off Eco button like in some vehicles. The gear limiter just ensures that the engine never enters higher gears, thus keeping RPMs higher so the engine never shuts down the cylinders. To the OPs concern, there is no such thing as leaving the ECO mode on. It's always on. It's engineered to do that.
Set the limiter to 8th, it runs up and down though all the gears. No tricks or higher RPMs, just a disabled MDS system. Try it out

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Set the limiter to 8th, it runs up and down though all the gears. No tricks or higher RPMs, just a disabled MDS system. Try it out
^^This...it turns MDS off until you shift out of D. It will need to be repeated each time you shift into D if you want to keep MDS off, or you can do like I did and install an autostop eliminator to keep MDS off until I want it enabled.

Dewey

Reaction score
^^This...it turns MDS off until you shift out of D. It will need to be repeated each time you shift into D if you want to keep MDS off, or you can do like I did and install an autostop eliminator to keep MDS off until I want it enabled.
Aren’t MDS and Stop/Start two completely different systems? My ECO light still comes on with my AutoStop Eliminator. Only way to turn that off is select 8th gear. What am I missing here?🤔

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yes. Two different systems. That’s why you have to turn them off individually. Or tow haul turns them both off.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
my 2009 had a manifold bolt break, but it was at 120k. They repaired under warranty no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread