5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ECO mode on way too much

U

User_34235

Good morning all. When I first got my 2021 Bighorn (11K miles), the ECO mode hardly ever came on. Now its on almost all the time. Today for example I was doing about 30 MPH up a hill and it stayed on the entire time. Up hills, down hills, accelerating and decelerating, it comes on all the time. I am hesitant to take it to a dealer because having them duplicate the issue might be hard, but I wanted to see what all of you thought.
Thanks in advance.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds normal. Do you have 3.92 gears? Mine will enter eco as low as 20 mph and stay there through all the gears up to the desired speed. The vibration and droning isn't any fun so MDS is disabled 99.9% of the time through the gear selector

U

User_34235

Thanks for the reply. I have the 3.21 gears. I just feel like this is a BIG change from even a month ago.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have the 3.21 gears. I just feel like this is a BIG change from even a month ago.
At times I notice mine stay in eco more than other times. For me it comes down to whether i've been driving a bit slower than usual, letting the truck shift at earlier rpms, etc. Do that a few days and I'll notice the truck wants to consistently shift early and go into eco quicker, and stay there a bit longer. Even at times when I'm accelerating a little. Once I get back into harder takeoffs and hard acceleration again it goes away after a few days.

Dewey

Reaction score
Mine rarely goes into ECO. Might have something to do with my heavy foot.😆

HemiDude

Reaction score
Is it running poorly? MDS staying activated? Or just the green light staying on?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it running poorly? MDS staying activated? Or just the green light staying on?

In addition to the quote above, you can turn the green light off and have one less thing to watch.

U

User_34235

Yes, Yes and Yes. You can really hear the engine kick out when its on and it sounds horrible. Very obvious that it's engaged.

dski

Reaction score
Mines on a lot but never considered it a problem.

How do you disable MDS?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you put the truck into ERS mode (Electronic Range Selection) with the buttons on the steering wheel, MDS is deactivated.

I've been testing MPG with MDS on normal operation vs. turning it off with ERS mode. So far I'm seeing weekly MPG numbers within a few tenths of a mile per gallon, virtually identical. So MDS doesn't really save much if anything at the pump, it only decreases the life of an engine.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
If you put the truck into ERS mode (Electronic Range Selection) with the buttons on the steering wheel, MDS is deactivated.

I've been testing MPG with MDS on normal operation vs. turning it off with ERS mode. So far I'm seeing weekly MPG numbers within a few tenths of a mile per gallon, virtually identical. So MDS doesn't really save much if anything at the pump, it only decreases the life of an engine.

Same for me. I can't find any conclusive evidence that MDS is detrimental to engine life, but common sense says it's not helping. I deactivate it every time.

Dewey

Reaction score
When I owned Chevy’s it was exactly the same deal with Active Fuel Management. I actually got better gas mileage with the older motors before that was added. Nothing but a feel good marketing scam that did nothing but reduce the life of the motors and cause many more valve train repairs.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like my V8 running on all eight.
The gear range selector is my friend and maybe the lifters will stay happy by keeping them active.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone remember Cadillac's V8/6/4? My boss owned one that spent more time in the dealer shop than being driven. Until GM finally came out with a kit to "downgrade" it to a normal V8.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone remember Cadillac's V8/6/4? My boss owned one that spent more time in the dealer shop than being driven. Until GM finally came out with a kit to "downgrade" it to a normal V8.
Sure, I remember those commercials. I also remember thinking what a bad idea that was.

HemiDude

Reaction score
My Grandfather bought one of those when they first came out. Seemed gimmicky to me, but he never had a problem with his. He kept it for his standard four-year stint.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Yes, Yes and Yes. You can really hear the engine kick out when its on and it sounds horrible. Very obvious that it's engaged.
I wonder if there is something compromising normal engine performance, and it is exacerbated when the MDS kicks in. Before taking it in to the dealer, maybe you can check a few easy things: A clogged air filter or rodent debris in the airbox, try a tank or two of fuel from a different station (maybe a higher octane as well), things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread