5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eco mode not turning on on highway?

George Bednar

Reaction score
My Eco light only comes on when I am drive in town. I have never seen come on while on the highway or interstate. Wasn't sure if it was supposed to or not. Sounds like it should.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is due to the speed you are driving. MDS mode at lower speeds has enough power to pull a small hill and mileage will be lower. MDS mode has a HP threshold that, when crossed, kicks it off. A truck running 70+ mph requires more power than the MDS threshold. You'll see it at times going downhill, if the cruise over corrects and decreases throttle, or you reduce throttle slightly. MDS won't stay on continuously above 60 on my 3.92 4x4. It'll stay in if I hold my gas pedal position and don't change it....but my speed goes up and down with the hills.

That's just the way it works.

Agreed. What was being debated in my reply was whether or not the Eco light is just related to instant mpg, as is the case in some other vehicles where there's a light that tells you when you're driving "efficiently". Some people still believe the Eco light on our Rams isn't to indicate the MDS is activated. However, they're wrong, lol.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ECO mode on my 2016 would come on at 77 MPH on the highway. The 2019 does not. There had to have been a change in software.
I think they changed (lowered) the power threshold where MDS kicks on/off. At 77 mph, mine will only kick in if I'm drafting behind a big rig, decelerating, or going downhill.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think they changed (lowered) the power threshold where MDS kicks on/off. At 77 mph, mine will only kick in if I'm drafting behind a big rig, decelerating, or going downhill.
I’ve learned that drafting (even behind a small vehicle, and even at very safe distances) can keep me in MDS at 70-80 mph quite easily. I’ve started hanging out in the ‘slow lane’ using adaptive cruise to take advantage of this phenomenon. Just another game to play...

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve learned that drafting (even behind a small vehicle, and even at very safe distances) can keep me in MDS at 70-80 mph quite easily. I’ve started hanging out in the ‘slow lane’ using adaptive cruise to take advantage of this phenomenon. Just another game to play...
Today my instantanious mpg was holding around 24 to 27 when I followed an 18 wheeler while on adaptive cruise set to the 3rd to closest distance at 78mph. He was running 75 mph. Normally I'd be getting 16-17 mpg.

That demonstrates how much wind resistance affects mpg!

NDRam

Reaction score
Today my instantanious mpg was holding around 24 to 27 when I followed an 18 wheeler while on adaptive cruise set to the 3rd to closest distance at 78mph. He was running 75 mph. Normally I'd be getting 16-17 mpg.

That demonstrates how much wind resistance affects mpg!

You guys are making me regret not getting adaptive cruise!!

Fab1

Reaction score
I restart this theme because I have never seen the light ECO mode light on my new RAM 2019 1500 V8 5.7, and I'm over 2'100 km, more than 1'300 miles. On my old RAM 2010, disabling MDS to switch to 4 cylinders was common, and I do not remember that it was necessary to wait a number of kilometers.

Do you have any information to give me?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine kicked in at 300miles and more with more miles on it. You can go into settings and turn light on. It’s probably turned off

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have turned on ;)
Try driving with a lighter foot on the gas on a flat road at 50mph (?? Kmh). Once you are up to speed ease off the gas slightly for a second, you should see it. It takes a steady foot and light throttle to stay in ECO mode. The idea is that the truck teaches you to drive more economically. If you aren't willing to drive that way, you won't see the ECO light as often or the improved mileage.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Test drove a Longhorn two weeks ago. It was a new build and had just arrived at the dealership with 18 miles on the odometer. I changed the fuel saver display setting before beginning the test drive. Took a 10 mile drive and the eco light was on whenever I was at a steady speed. Top speed on the test drive was about 60. Point is, the truck had basically no miles and MDS was coming on pretty regularly.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Test drove a Longhorn two weeks ago. It was a new build and had just arrived at the dealership with 18 miles on the odometer. I changed the fuel saver display setting before beginning the test drive. Took a 10 mile drive and the eco light was on whenever I was at a steady speed. Top speed on the test drive was about 60. Point is, the truck had basically no miles and MDS was coming on pretty regularly.
If you can't get yours to go into ECO by the method I described or whatever you did in that demo truck, I'd be visiting the dealer. Funny thing is that some on here would kill to get rid of MDS/ECO altogether.

Fab1

Reaction score
I know that many do not like it when the MDS system works, and it's true that on my JEEP Grand Cherokee SRT, it was very vibrant, and you could hear when the engine ran on 4 cylinders. But I want to understand.

Well, I did everything as you say, but I have never seen the ECO indication on the dashboard, and i don't feel the vibrations when the engine runs on 4 cylinders.

Is it possible that the MDS / ECO system is disconnected from the factory, and that the mechanic at the dealer must activate this function, with the computer of the brand?

Luckily, I do not see excessive consumption, see much less than my old RAM '10 5 speed automatic that I had. I have actually 20 mpg mixed city and highway or a little more (in switzerland, we drive 80 m/h in highway, and i live in the mountains.

Last edited:

danc

Reaction score
2000 miles on my truck and MDS has never activated. I am running 35"s. this is the only reason I am guessing its not coming on . would like to fully understand this system , I Have no fault codes

U

User_3336

I hate MDS. If I wanted a truck running on 4 cylinders, I would have bought a Canyon, Colorado, or a Ranger.
I purposefully hit the +/- buttons to turn it off. I don't like how it switches back and forth......

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hate MDS. If I wanted a truck running on 4 cylinders, I would have bought a Canyon, Colorado, or a Ranger.
I purposefully hit the +/- buttons to turn it off. I don't like how it switches back and forth......

I can't even feel mine, if I didn't have the light on in the dash I wouldn't know what I am in. :LOL:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If someone was told it was the torque converter locking/unlocking and that's how it worked, they'd be perfectly fine with it. Personally, if the truck would run on 1 cylinder without distracting me, I could care less. It doesn't affect overall performance or drivability. It's the idea and sound of it not being a "real V8" that I suspect crawls all over some people. Good thing there is some way to defeat it for those who can't stand it. I'm hoping Z-Automotive's Tazer DT module will add a feature to force the gear limiter to 8 automatically.

Last edited:

Ram92131

Reaction score
Yeah...I’ve seen it at times at about 75 mph on level ground. I think that’s a sweet spot for the 3.92. But the OP should be seeing it more with 3.21s.
I wonder if a truck with 3.92 gears might actually engage the MDS more often. Yes the 3.92 truck will turn higher rpms at a given road speed. But because of that it also has more mechanical leverage, so less torque required to move the truck under similar load. And that might mean less need to bury your foot in the throttle pedal. Maybe?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread