5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eco mode not turning on on highway?

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
Hey all,
So far loving my truck, but I noticed something kind of odd. My truck isn't going into Eco mode on the highway unless I stay under 65mph. Kind of annoying, as I'd like to get the benefits of the better mileage, since when Eco mode is on I see a dramatic difference in fuel economy, but I HATE going 65 on a clean open road. I live in North Dakota, so it's pretty flat. I don't have etorque and I'm at about 4000 miles. Anybody else have similar experiences or any ideas to try out?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is not a uncommon statement or situation that is happening to you OP. At higher speeds the front stutter flaps in grill close. If you don’t have air ride the front air dam lowers to achieve better fuel economy.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just made another trip this weekend. ECO actually came on a couple times at 72 MPH (flat Florida). Usually I can get it to kick in and stay on around 68 to 70 MPH. Wind is a big factor in whether or not ECO mode kicks in; when its windy it will only kick in at 65 MPH and below. It seems the key is anything below 2,000 RPM. Based on some previous trips I have taken, I usually get 18 MPG without ECO kicking in and around 19.6 MPG when it does kick in.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
I live in Iowa (almost as flat as ND) and had similar thoughts. After a trip to the Ozarks over the weekend, I discovered it just comes down to how steep the hill is. It went into ECO as long as I was under about 75mph as I got into the hilly region there. I assumed that was the limit, but took a different (more hilly) route on the way back and found it worked even faster than that.

Where I found the limit was when the speed wanted to overrun the cruise control going downhill and the truck shifted down a gear. When it did that, the ECO shut off.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just made another trip this weekend. ECO actually came on a couple times at 72 MPH (flat Florida). Usually I can get it to kick in and stay on around 68 to 70 MPH. Wind is a big factor in whether or not ECO mode kicks in; when its windy it will only kick in at 65 MPH and below. It seems the key is anything below 2,000 RPM. Based on some previous trips I have taken, I usually get 18 MPG without ECO kicking in and around 19.6 MPG when it does kick in.
Yeah...I’ve seen it at times at about 75 mph on level ground. I think that’s a sweet spot for the 3.92. But the OP should be seeing it more with 3.21s.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is Eco mode not obvious by looking at the fuel economy gauge?

I don't have a Ram but in my Hemi Durango the instantaneous fuel economy reading jumps by a significant amount when MDS activates.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is Eco mode not obvious by looking at the fuel economy gauge?

I don't have a Ram but in my Hemi Durango the instantaneous fuel economy reading jumps by a significant amount when MDS activates.

I thought it was too at first, but there's a substantial overlap in the instant mpg numbers I see when MDS activates and when it's not activated. I've seen it activated as low as 16mpg, and I've seen as high as the mid 50's mpg when not activated.

Reaction score
I was wondering the same. I have the 3.92 and discovered the 75 sweet spot for mpg. I'm turning about 2,100 in 8th and it must be getting a peak torque efficiency at that spot.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all,
So far loving my truck, but I noticed something kind of odd. My truck isn't going into Eco mode on the highway unless I stay under 65mph. Kind of annoying, as I'd like to get the benefits of the better mileage, since when Eco mode is on I see a dramatic difference in fuel economy, but I HATE going 65 on a clean open road. I live in North Dakota, so it's pretty flat. I don't have etorque and I'm at about 4000 miles. Anybody else have similar experiences or any ideas to try out?

Have you had your first oil change? I noticed after my second oil change it comes on much more frequently.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
Have you had your first oil change? I noticed after my second oil change it comes on much more frequently.
No, I haven't had it yet. The dealer said not to bring it in until the light comes on and I still have 26 percent oil life left according to the info screen.

klail

Reaction score
I was wondering the same. I have the 3.92 and discovered the 75 sweet spot for mpg. I'm turning about 2,100 in 8th and it must be getting a peak torque efficiency at that spot.
That's a good thought about the speed. My only problem with this is that Idaho has 1 highway and most of it has a speed limit of 80 so I'd be the slowpoke and I can't have that. :LOL:

JDBob35a

Reaction score
A lot of folks on here seem to find 4000 miles is kind of a magic number for ECO mode. I definitely see ECO on mine more now than I did for the first 3000 or so miles, I'm at like 5700 now.
I live in a very flat area with mostly good roads, still i seldom see ECO on the interstate if I'm running over 65 mph. Unless there is a significant tail wind. OP, I see you have the 3:21 gears same as I do. I'll post a couple pics of what I see on good days with no wind, and engine/trans up to temp... Give your truck some time and a few miles. I was VERY unhappy with MPG after I first got the RAM home. I'm much happier now.

Everybody has their own opinion on the first oil change, mine went back at 1500 miles. Personally I wouldn't trust the dealer saying wait till the light comes on for the first change. I know they have far superior machine work now that that of yesteryear but I wanted to be certain any assembly lube, or any contaminates was out of that new motor. I've built too many engines and seen what the break in oil looks like when it comes out. Old habits are hard to break I guess.

Attachments

• MPG.jpg
    MPG.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 115
  • mpgat59.jpg
    mpgat59.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ have to agree. If you plan on keeping the truck along time and don’t have lifetime warranty on truck. That oil needs to go

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
A lot of folks on here seem to find 4000 miles is kind of a magic number for ECO mode. I definitely see ECO on mine more now than I did for the first 3000 or so miles, I'm at like 5700 now.
I live in a very flat area with mostly good roads, still i seldom see ECO on the interstate if I'm running over 65 mph. Unless there is a significant tail wind. OP, I see you have the 3:21 gears same as I do. I'll post a couple pics of what I see on good days with no wind, and engine/trans up to temp... Give your truck some time and a few miles. I was VERY unhappy with MPG after I first got the RAM home. I'm much happier now.

Everybody has their own opinion on the first oil change, mine went back at 1500 miles. Personally I wouldn't trust the dealer saying wait till the light comes on for the first change. I know they have far superior machine work now that that of yesteryear but I wanted to be certain any assembly lube, or any contaminates was out of that new motor. I've built too many engines and seen what the break in oil looks like when it comes out. Old habits are hard to break I guess.
Thank you for the info. Not many people around me have the 3.21 ratio, so it's nice to hear from someone else who has it. If I'm doing 7t on the highway with no wind I only get around 16, but at 65 I get about 23pmg. And as far as oil changes go I've been doing more and more reading and decided im gonna try to get it in tomorrow for a change and quick inspection. As a machinist I'm fully aware of all the stuff that can be left behind, but I've always heard the golden rule of 3000 before an oil change, and of course a long highway trip came up right before I had a chance to get it in.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought it was too at first, but there's a substantial overlap in the instant mpg numbers I see when MDS activates and when it's not activated. I've seen it activated as low as 16mpg, and I've seen as high as the mid 50's mpg when not activated.
That is due to the speed you are driving. MDS mode at lower speeds has enough power to pull a small hill and mileage will be lower. MDS mode has a HP threshold that, when crossed, kicks it off. A truck running 70+ mph requires more power than the MDS threshold. You'll see it at times going downhill, if the cruise over corrects and decreases throttle, or you reduce throttle slightly. MDS won't stay on continuously above 60 on my 3.92 4x4. It'll stay in if I hold my gas pedal position and don't change it....but my speed goes up and down with the hills.

That's just the way it works.

NDRam

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. Not many people around me have the 3.21 ratio, so it's nice to hear from someone else who has it. If I'm doing 7t on the highway with no wind I only get around 16, but at 65 I get about 23pmg. And as far as oil changes go I've been doing more and more reading and decided im gonna try to get it in tomorrow for a change and quick inspection. As a machinist I'm fully aware of all the stuff that can be left behind, but I've always heard the golden rule of 3000 before an oil change, and of course a long highway trip came up right before I had a chance to get it in.

Hello! Fellow North Dakotan here. Having similar experience that you are with the ECO light. I have noticed that the ECO is more active when running in 2WD instead of Auto 4WD. Running between Bismarck and Mandan daily, the only time that the light comes on is going down hill towards the river.

I have not had an oil change yet, about 2000 miles on at this point. Oil change coming in a couple of weeks as we are doing a long weekend run to Kansas.

NDRam

Reaction score
That is due to the speed you are driving. MDS mode at lower speeds has enough power to pull a small hill and mileage will be lower. MDS mode has a HP threshold that, when crossed, kicks it off. A truck running 70+ mph requires more power than the MDS threshold. You'll see it at times going downhill, if the cruise over corrects and decreases throttle, or you reduce throttle slightly. MDS won't stay on continuously above 60 on my 3.92 4x4. It'll stay in if I hold my gas pedal position and don't change it....but my speed goes up and down with the hills.

That's just the way it works.

The ECO mode on my 2016 would come on at 77 MPH on the highway. The 2019 does not. There had to have been a change in software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online