5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"ECO" mode and aftermarket exhaust

Squatch79

Reaction score
For the ETorque gang with aftermarket exhaust, how's the exhaust note when the truck is in "ECO" mode? I'm about to pull the trigger on a new muffler. Either FlowMaster Flow FX 3" in and out or the Carven TR 3" in and out. I plan on just doing the muffler swap. Gonna keep the cats, resonators and factory tips. Just looking for something a little more noticeable than stock. Just worried about the droning while in "ECO" mode. Comments appreciated......

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
disable it by pressing gear limit + after you get to 8th gear, or drive in towing mode.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
First I want to clarify something...ECO mode has nothing to do with etorque. It has to do with MDS, which all Hemi's have now.

I always disable MDS. I got into the habit shortly after buying my first Ram truck that had it. Louder exhaust systems definitely sound like crap when MDS is active (ECO mode).

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t noticed any difference even on my last few trucks with louder exhaust. Then again my driving style rarely allows mine to go into ECO mode. Easy enough to turn off with a simple button push if it bothers you.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Borla ATAK is barely noticeable when MDS kicks in. You have to have really sensitive ears to hear any change in inside of truck. I actually enabled the eco light in my settings because I couldnt tell if it was actually coming on or not.

dieldrin

Reaction score
I never noticed a sound difference when ECO mode kicked in.... until I changed my muffler to the magnaflow direct fit.
OMG ECO mode became completely unbearable, bad drone, Its now habit to hit the gear selector or tow mode to disable MDS.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can second that with a Borla Atak eco mode doesn't really make a difference. You're only in eco if you aren't really giving it gas anyways.
More of a problem with start-stop.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My Flow fx isn’t too bad when mds kicks in. Only sounds weird when I have the cruise set and the rpms are a bit high and it’s struggling to maintain speed. The switch to and from mds can be heard better with a louder muffler tho

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Typically, direct-fit or a muffler change out will result in more drone in MDS mode, it's why the stock muffler is like a mini-oil drum, designed to hide Eco drone.

Most cat-back systems seems to hide the drone much better, probably attributed to purposeful design by their manufacturers. There is only so much you can do with a universal muffler. Most direct fit mufflers are just universal mufflers with direct fitting so you can do the install at home without welding, though you will still have to cut the factory exhaust to do it. I rather just have a muffler shop do a proper weld instead of relying on a clamp.

morrpar

Reaction score
I had a muffler shop replace the OEM muffler with a flowmaster 40 series. Sound is great to me, it has the tinny, ”chambered” sound like old-school muscle cars. As far as the sound when Eco mode is engaged, it it barely noticeable. Admittedly, Eco mode engages only when coasting or very slight throttle application, so my case my not be a good measure.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Typically, direct-fit or a muffler change out will result in more drone in MDS mode, it's why the stock muffler is like a mini-oil drum, designed to hide Eco drone.

Most cat-back systems seems to hide the drone much better, probably attributed to purposeful design by their manufacturers. There is only so much you can do with a universal muffler. Most direct fit mufflers are just universal mufflers with direct fitting so you can do the install at home without welding, though you will still have to cut the factory exhaust to do it. I rather just have a muffler shop do a proper weld instead of relying on a clamp.
Do you have a catback? I’d be interested to hear the difference between my universal carven r muffler & a true carven or Borla catback & we’re both in San Diego! I spent like $250 for the muffler, install, and resonators deleted and everything welded in place. It was hard for me to justify $1000+ for a catback because my thinking was how could a larger diameter pipe with the same length and exact same muffler actually reduce drone? But I’d love to learn if it indeed does make a noticeable difference!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Do you have a catback? I’d be interested to hear the difference between my universal carven r muffler & a true carven or Borla catback & we’re both in San Diego! I spent like $250 for the muffler, install, and resonators deleted and everything welded in place. It was hard for me to justify $1000+ for a catback because my thinking was how could a larger diameter pipe with the same length and exact same muffler actually reduce drone? But I’d love to learn if it indeed does make a noticeable difference!

No, I have a welded-in Flowmaster Outlaw, definitely drones in MDS mode, but I don't notice it anymore.

The Borla systems are pretty well documented to not have a drone issue when in MDS, though I personally not have experienced it myself, the price was definitely a turn off for me as well. I agree the system doesn't look like much, even removes the two back resonators and the resonator after-cat (depending on model year), how it remove the MDS drone I don't know, but it is likely through the muffler design only.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
No, I have a welded-in Flowmaster Outlaw, definitely drones in MDS mode, but I don't notice it anymore.

The Borla systems are pretty well documented to not have a drone issue when in MDS, though I personally not have experienced it myself, the price was definitely a turn off for me as well. I agree the system doesn't look like much, even removes the two back resonators and the resonator after-cat (depending on model year), how it remove the MDS drone I don't know, but it is likely through the muffler design only.
Oh okay 👍🏼 yeah if it’s through muffler design only then why not just get the muffler and save tons of money? Lol. I can only see getting a catback if 1) you’ve done other engine mods & you really care about squeezing every bit of power out it, or 2) you need 304 stainless or something to resist rusting in super bad climates. For most guys though I just feel like catbacks are debatably a big waste of money. Same with CAIs. In my opinion the CAIs are another one where it only makes sense if you’ve done power mods and need every last bit of performance squeezed out. But stock everything with a CAI and no tune? There’s no point lol

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Oh okay 👍🏼 yeah if it’s through muffler design only then why not just get the muffler and save tons of money? Lol. I can only see getting a catback if 1) you’ve done other engine mods & you really care about squeezing every bit of power out it, or 2) you need 304 stainless or something to resist rusting in super bad climates. For most guys though I just feel like catbacks are debatably a big waste of money. Same with CAIs. In my opinion the CAIs are another one where it only makes sense if you’ve done power mods and need every last bit of performance squeezed out. But stock everything with a CAI and no tune? There’s no point lol

Lol, yeah that makes sense, so it's not just in the muffler :)

Agree you really need a tune to make a difference with these mods, I don't think there is any power increases for the RAM GT which has a cat-back and RAM air intake. Though the official hp figures don't always match reality. Wonder if someone dynoed a GT vs standard trim?

In reality, the intake and exhaust for most people these days is about the sound and looks over any meaningful power upgrades. With a NA engine, it wouldn't be much power to gain and hard to imagine you would feel it from a 5,500 lbs vehicle, maybe only our imagination would notice?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Lol, yeah that makes sense, so it's not just in the muffler :)

Agree you really need a tune to make a difference with these mods, I don't think there is any power increases for the RAM GT which has a cat-back and RAM air intake. Though the official hp figures don't always match reality. Wonder if someone dynoed a GT vs standard trim?

In reality, the intake and exhaust for most people these days is about the sound and looks over any meaningful power upgrades. With a NA engine, it wouldn't be much power to gain and hard to imagine you would feel it from a 5,500 lbs vehicle, maybe only our imagination would notice?
Yeah exactly! It would be interesting to see the two get dynod though to see if there’s any difference at all. Even if there is a sliiiiight difference, I genuinely don’t think it’s worth $1500-2000 or even $3000 with a tune, that’s crazy

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can't buy just the muffler used in the Borla catbacks. Borla also uses longer tips than other kits which help with the sound.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
You can't buy just the muffler used in the Borla catbacks. Borla also uses longer tips than other kits which help with the sound.
Yeah that’s true Borla is annoying in that they don’t sell the muffler lol see even they know almost all of the sound comes from the muffler lol

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First I want to clarify something...ECO mode has nothing to do with etorque. It has to do with MDS, which all Hemi's have now.

I always disable MDS. I got into the habit shortly after buying my first Ram truck that had it. Louder exhaust systems definitely sound like crap when MDS is active (ECO mode).
also i would like to add, unless it changed for the 5th gen, when eco light is on, its only means your driving in a eco way,

the eco light does not equal to mds v8 going in 4 cyl mode, you can have the eco light on and still be runing 8 cyl.

the eco light will be on when the mds engage but it can also be on with mds not engage

Users who are viewing this thread