5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ECO Diesel vs Hemi as daily driver

RamMe

Reaction score
If price difference was not a factor, which would you choose as a daily driver? Limited tow duties. Simply a semi daily driver with the occasional Home Depot run and camping trips. Essentially a 3rd family vehicle. Eco Diesel or Hemi? MPG on the Eco is better but fun/throttle response is better on the Hemi.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A lot of factors to consider but given your parameters theres really no advantage to diesel. Higher maintenance, fuel is kinda a wash due to higher cost vs fuel mileage, then theres the upfront cost for the ecodiesel engine...

I’d say that for a 3rd vehicle the hemi is a better/more fun choice, but then I’ve never owned an oil burner...well, there was that 65‘ Galaxie, that was an “oil burner”...

singlerail

Reaction score
if your not doing highway runs, neither is good on gas, and the diesel will need long runs to regen

db252

Reaction score
Our diesel 1500 is replacing or diesel Grand Cherokee. The wife will drive it most to very local work and of course we will use it for trips and I’ll steal it to take the Mustang to the track. We’ve always liked having the diesels along with other cars short or long but of course that’s just us.

Last edited:

flyingpoint

Reaction score
I am pretty happy with Ed so far as a daily driver. I picked it over hemi simply because I drive over 600 miles a week and mostly they are highway miles. However, I might just get the hemi if I don’t need to drive that much. V8 is much more fun to drive.

Rexx

Reaction score
Hemi because I do mostly city driving going to and from work or errands.

If I did mostly highway driving I’d consider the eco.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
My current job is 68-70 miles each way, 95% highways so Id like an ecodiesel for that.
But for just the average driver, hemi.
Too much to think about on diesel fuel quality etc for my wife, plus diesel is filthy.

Arth

Reaction score
Get the Hemi.

The main advantage to the eco diesel is the extended range on the highway runs. It’s why I have an Eco diesel. I average 800 or so miles a tank. If I wasn’t making this long highway drive everyday I’d have a Hemi for the lower maintenance cost and not having to worry about regens.

silver billet

Reaction score
Hemi all the way. ED work best when they're "worked". City driving them is asking for trouble at some point (that goes for all modern diesels).

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online