5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ebay clone bumper steps

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These companies making the knock off factory steps would make more money doing a mirrored style that fit on the right side

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can someone with a Mopar OEM step verify if theirs is showing any signs of rust on the hardware? My eBay clone is only 3 weeks old and I'm wondering if it's going to turn to crap real fast, or if it's just some surface rust that isn't much to worry about.

Attachments

• IMG_4752.jpg
    IMG_4752.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4754.jpg
    IMG_4754.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4755.jpg
    IMG_4755.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 55

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can someone with a Mopar OEM step verify if theirs is showing any signs of rust on the hardware? My eBay clone is only 3 weeks old and I'm wondering if it's going to turn to crap real fast, or if it's just some surface rust that isn't much to worry about.
Mopar steps don't rust...

Everyone getting ebay and aftermarket steps dirty cheap all report rusting out.

I believe Amped makes a step of equivalent quality.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mopar steps don't rust...

Everyone getting ebay and aftermarket steps dirty cheap all report rusting out.

I believe Amped makes a step of equivalent quality.
That might be a bit of a stretch. I'm sure it'll eventually rust, just like the truck will. But if it'll take years instead of weeks for that to happen, I'll gladly pay for the Mopar step. Just wanted to see what other people with it had to say.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I've never seen a pic of the eBay step mounted. The poor tolerance on the hinges alone looks like it's going to be a trouble spot. The bushings will get rusted out pretty quickly being exposed to the elements like that.

My Mopar step is 18 months old and not a spot of rust. We have lots of road salt here too.

20221225_083913.jpg 20221225_083351.jpg 20221225_083254.jpg

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never seen a pic of the eBay step mounted. The poor tolerance on the hinges alone looks like it's going to be a trouble spot. The bushings will get rusted out pretty quickly being exposed to the elements like that.

My Mopar step is 18 months old and not a spot of rust. We have lots of road salt here too.

View attachment 146971 View attachment 146972 View attachment 146973
Thanks! This is exacy what I wanted to see. Just ordered the Mopar one and should have done that to begin with. I'm all for saving a buck when it makes sense, but something that could literally kill you if it breaks (step failing with you on it) ain't the place to do it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! This is exacy what I wanted to see. Just ordered the Mopar one and should have done that to begin with. I'm all for saving a buck when it makes sense, but something that could literally kill you if it breaks (step failing with you on it) ain't the place to do it.
Saying it could kill you is a bit extreme. It's maybe a 1-2' drop if it fails. Maybe a broken bone or bumps and bruises. Hope you never got into the bed of the truck without it, if death is the first thought that comes for if it fails

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Saying it could kill you is a bit extreme. It's maybe a 1-2' drop if it fails. Maybe a broken bone or bumps and bruises. Hope you never got into the bed of the truck without it, if death is the first thought that comes for if it fails
I mean its possible.
On mountain goes to step in with step, it snaps and you try to grab onto the bed, you hit your head on the sidewall and go backwards, and fall down the mountain path cracking your head open on a rock.

Not having a step is better then a malfunctioning step.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean its possible.
On mountain goes to step in with step, it snaps and you try to grab onto the bed, you hit your head on the sidewall and go backwards, and fall down the mountain path cracking your head open on a rock.

Not having a step is better then a malfunctioning step.
I mean, if you want to get into the game of what ifs, that a deep rabbit hole to go down.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the eBay version installed on mine since July. No issues. No rust. No lack of confidence or trust concerns while using it, and I use it regularly. I'm roughly 230lbs and it holds my fat a** just fine lol. I think it was @Idahoktm that mentioned location being a factor within my build thread, and he makes a good point. I'm down in central FL so rust isn't as much of a concern for me as it might be for others. For the majority, I would completely recommend going OEM over the knock off, but the cheap Chinese version has held up just fine for me so far. No regrets at this point, but I'm only six months in so my opinion may change with time.

1672085810840.png
1672085828820.png
1672085858440.png

Last edited:

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, if you want to get into the game of what ifs, that a deep rabbit hole to go down.
I don't think you even need to go that deep. Stepping up and it breaking would suck, but I'd be really worried about stepping down from the bed and it breaking unexpectedly - broken bones maybe, but if you bash your head on the way down, could be bad.
I've had the eBay version installed on mine since July. No issues. No rust. No lack of confidence or trust concerns while using it, and I use it regularly. I'm roughly 230lbs and it holds my fat a** just fine lol. I think it was @Idahoktm that mentioned location being a factor within my build thread, and he makes a good point. I'm down in central FL so rust isn't as much of a concern for me as it might be for others. For the majority, I would completely recommend going OEM over the knock off, but the cheap Chinese version has held up just fine for me so far. No regrets at this point, but I'm only six months in so my opinion may change with time.

View attachment 147056
View attachment 147057
View attachment 147058
I'm up north so more of a concern for me, but even before the snow hit, rainwater was enough to cause the rust in the pictures I posted. Been driving in salt all week - curious to see what mine looks like now!

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
I’ve been satisfied with the MOPAR one I installed after buying the truck. It’s been 8 months and no complaints, no rust either.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think you even need to go that deep. Stepping up and it breaking would suck, but I'd be really worried about stepping down from the bed and it breaking unexpectedly - broken bones maybe, but if you bash your head on the way down, could be bad.

The factory step could also break. You could miss the step and fall, or slip off of it. You could hit your shin on the step walking by and fall down and hit your head. Once again how many "what ifs" do you want to conjur up?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The factory step could also break. You could miss the step and fall, or slip off of it. You could hit your shin on the step walking by and fall down and hit your head. Once again how many "what ifs" do you want to conjur up?
I'm not playing "what if" with every situation relating to the step. I'm merely saying it's a pretty safe bet the OEM step was actually tested and built within a specification to be safe and reliable considering it's a hell of a lot easier to sue the manufacturer if it breaks and causes injury vs some fly-by-night knock-off China eBay seller.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a few photos of the clone step before I chucked it in the trash last week - had been sitting in my garage. Been running the Mopar step for awhile and zero issues so far. Meanwhile the clone looked like this...

9A429479-ECA6-4B8A-8D7B-C8452330CD12.jpeg

7F677327-DD2F-4EC2-A94D-D752C0DF3150.jpeg
528338EB-6259-4CB4-A77E-67B9BFF55CEC.jpeg
492555BA-DAF8-40D9-87F9-B0151D60D7C3.jpeg

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, yeah that thing looks pretty beat up. This thread popped in my mind the other day... I used the step a few times while I was washing and drying my truck, so I decided to climb under afterwards just to check it out. Mine still looks damn near perfect. I know I originally said that I have no concerns with mine, but I think I will still make it a point to inspect it every few months just to be sure it is holding up.

Users who are viewing this thread