5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ebay clone bumper steps

Ray1054

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 RAM Laramie Crew Cab and will be installing a bumper step in the near future. I have installed a couple of AMP steps on previous RAMs and thought I might try a Mopar step this time. I was wondering if anybody has installed one of the clones on eBay. They look identical and they seem to have positive reviews. They are also $100 to $150 less expensive.

Attachments

• 270453089_342285854108195_5368275673936936876_n.jpg
    270453089_342285854108195_5368275673936936876_n.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 155

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The eBay clone steps are crap and I have four letters to describe them: RUST. My daughter is height challenged and wanted one for her Ram. She purchased an eBay clone and my Son-in-Law installed it. At first glance it appeared to be comparable but after six just five short months it looked like a rusty anchor from a 1790 sunken ship. We’re in south Texas and don’t see near the road salt many do in the north this I can image how quickly it would have corroded up there.

It was removed and junked as it had no warranty. I don’t recommend wasting your money.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. You may find a good deal on a knock-off but, even if it fits, I would not anticipate the same life span (as NorthStar metioned).

The name-brand aftermarket options are not that much cheaper. While they may have more surface area to step on, the OEM bumper step is more than adequate, especially where it sits when extended. I never ever thought to myself "I wish the step was larger" any of the 100's of times I've used it to get in/out of the bed.

IMO it is worth the extra $$ to get a part that is a guaranteed perfect fit for installation and has almost no profile when retracted.

A couple of the competition:

1.jpg

2.jpg (this one looks like it would interfere with the rear sensors)

OEM (mine):

Step 1.JPG

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My main concern would be actually using the knock-off step. I'd be worried about whether the thing would fold in while I'm standing on it. That might leave a mark. I have confidence in the genuine Mopar step working as designed. Not so much with a chinese knock-off step though.

U

User_34235

I agree.....something are worth going OEM for and this is one.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, the MOPAR step is sleek in design, and is fully powder coated. Tucks away nicely and all you see is the kick down tab when stowed.
Solid build and have total confidence it will not fail at any time.

For such a beautiful truck, I agree with everyone else…this is one part that is totally worth going OEM.
Good luck! 👍

Wolverine

Reaction score
You get what you pay for. You may find a good deal on a knock-off but, even if it fits, I would not anticipate the same life span (as NorthStar metioned).

The name-brand aftermarket options are not that much cheaper. While they may have more surface area to step on, the OEM bumper step is more than adequate, especially where it sits when extended. I never ever thought to myself "I wish the step was larger" any of the 100's of times I've used it to get in/out of the bed.

IMO it is worth the extra $$ to get a part that is a guaranteed perfect fit for installation and has almost no profile when retracted.

View attachment 117859

View attachment 117860 (this one looks like it would interfere with the rear sensors)

OEM (mine):

View attachment 117861

Do you think this will interfere with a Carven 5” exhaust tip?

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think this will interfere with a Carven 5” exhaust tip?
I have the B2 Fab 5" tips and the bed step is well clear. The bed step is closest to the stock resonator when retracted, but is clear by about 1/4". Deployed, everything is clear as well.

20220224_085952.jpg
20220224_085927.jpg

Last edited:

Brunzca

Reaction score
If you decide to go with Amp or the Mopar ones shoot me a PM, I can get you a discount on them.

View attachment 117859

View attachment 117860 (this one looks like it would interfere with the rear sensors)

OEM (mine):

View attachment 117861

Yup, the MOPAR step is sleek in design, and is fully powder coated. Tucks away nicely and all you see is the kick down tab when stowed.
Solid build and have total confidence it will not fail at any time.

For such a beautiful truck, I agree with everyone else…this is one part that is totally worth going OEM.
Good luck! 👍

All - for either of these, OEM or Amp, do they drop far enough to be effective with a 7 inch lift? Obviously would be still better than no step at all, but enough that there isn’t anything better tailored to lifted trucks?

Thanks!

jljbtm

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 RAM Laramie Crew Cab and will be installing a bumper step in the near future. I have installed a couple of AMP steps on previous RAMs and thought I might try a Mopar step this time. I was wondering if anybody has installed one of the clones on eBay. They look identical and they seem to have positive reviews. They are also $100 to $150 less expensive.
I was just looking at those also https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WM619RP/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_151?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pd_rd_plhdr=t

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI that listing was only on Amazon since November 13th 2022.
The pictures also conflict with each other.
Some pictures it's textured, some are smooth, I don't truck any of those pictures are of the actual product.

Amazon will tell you to go screw after 30-60 days so if it rusts out in 6 months you are stuck with it.
The way I read this is Aluminum Alloy, Stainless Steel Pivots. So, what's there to rust?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The way I read this is Aluminum Alloy, Stainless Steel Pivots. So, what's there to rust?
I don't believe the listing.
It's your money do whatever you want but I wouldn't

These are taken from the listing
Picture 1
Top picture on truck is textured (powder coated maybe?)
Bottom of picture shows a course but smooth not textured step
1671216208959.png
Picture 2 shows smooth step
1671216175178.png
Picture 3 shows smooth step
1671216239908.png
Picture 4 shows a completely smooth step which doesn't look like picture 1 which has a coating on it.
1671216334474.png

There are also only 4 reviews on the listing and no one posted a picture of it or anything. I looked at each of the profiles and none of the users have posted a single negative review.

Just a bunch of red flags.

Attachments

• 1671216122010.png
    1671216122010.png
    385.7 KB · Views: 16

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't believe the listing.
It's your money do whatever you want but I wouldn't

These are taken from the listing
Picture 1
Top picture on truck is textured (powder coated maybe?)
Bottom of picture shows a course but smooth not textured step
View attachment 146223
Picture 2 shows smooth step
View attachment 146222
Picture 3 shows smooth step
View attachment 146224
Picture 4 shows a completely smooth step which doesn't look like picture 1 which has a coating on it.
View attachment 146225

There are also only 4 reviews on the listing and no one posted a picture of it or anything. I looked at each of the profiles and none of the users have posted a single negative review.

Just a bunch of red flags.
I'd be wary of it just for the fact that it's clearly an aftermarket bed step, yet they use the Mopar part number to sell it's so anyone looking for the Mopar bed step would be tricked into thinking they are getting that with this product.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do they mount either left or right? I would like to add a step on the right side but would like them to match.

Users who are viewing this thread