5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eaton TrueTrac Reviews?

MikeStaten

Reaction score
Thinking of putting this limited slip differential in a 2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab with 3.21 axle. The truck has an open differential now. Is there any negative in adding the Eaton? Will I likely notice a big difference between the open diff and the Eaton? Primarily looking for better traction for rain or snow conditions. Will occasionally use the truck for towing a 5k pound camping trailer too. Also, anyone know of any good shops in NJ to do the install? Ballpark pricing on labor?

Thanks, Mike

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll notice a big difference in the winter in snow. I seriously miss it in my 2500, have to put it into 4x4 when I didn't have to with my 1500.
Sadly there's nothing aftermarket out for the new 2500s yet.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

Cannot help with the NJ locations/shops. Labor to install a LSD in an older Ram, including redoing the gears, was in the $800 range, if I recall correctly. Probably similar to the new ones, maybe a bit more now-a-days. But its been a while, I could be remembering wrong.

Do not forget the master install kit, and do not cheap out on that either. Do it right the first time. When you're spending that much money, trying to save less than a hundred bucks with a mini kit or a cheapo kit is not worth the potential disaster/redo it may lead to.

I believe Moe's sells a nice one (link below).

U

User_18352

I put a Detroit TrueTrac and 4.11 gears in a Jeep JK I owned about 10 years ago when I moved up to larger tires. I really liked the idea of an LSD being driven by worm / helical gears as opposed to crappy clutch packs which have a tendency to wear out real quick sometimes. The truetrac worked flawlessly in inclement weather / road conditions and offroad. It always seemed to kick in when I needed it, otherwise I didn't even notice it was there, very smooth under normal driving conditions.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also had TruTrac’s in a Jeep. They were phenomenal in snow. I’d highly recommended them and will buy again myself when the time comes.

I figure once I hit 50k on my factory LSD the clutches will be toast and I’ll upgrade to a TrueTrac LSD then.

I don’t think you’ll notice much if any difference when towing, but definitely in lower traction situations like the rain/snow you mentioned.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I also had TruTrac’s in a Jeep. They were phenomenal in snow. I’d highly recommended them and will buy again myself when the time comes.

I figure once I hit 50k on my factory LSD the clutches will be toast and I’ll upgrade to a TrueTrac LSD then.

I don’t think you’ll notice much if any difference when towing, but definitely in lower traction situations like the rain/snow you mentioned.

I wouldn't count on that, my last ram with LSD lasted 277K miles and was still tight

MikeStaten

Reaction score
Thanks all. I’m going to start looking at shops to install. If anyone knows a good shop in NJ or eastern PA, please let me know. Thanks

Reaction score
Just installed one last month. Best money I ever spent. Labor was $600. Truetrac $540, bearings $175, Lubelocker gasket $25, gear oil $50

Users who are viewing this thread