5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy and Cheap 20" Light Bar DIY Install (no fabrication needed)

SiRay6

Reaction score
I'll share some pics first and then give a write-up.

I ordered my 20" Caliraisedled Light bar based off favorable reviews from the Tacoma and 4Runner peeps. The light portion is 20 inches but the overall length is 22 inches.

This is my first Domestic vehicle and first truck but I have always modified my vehicles. I have been wanting to install a light bar in the lower grill position but have been undecided as to which kit to go with. My research led me to Rough Country's kit, M&R Dual Light Bar, to Baja Design's kit but I wanted to find the easiest way to do it myself without costing me an arm and a leg for something that I will rarely use. I do plan to take more trips with my family and two young kids (7 and 3) but it isn't something I need on a daily basis where I live. I can always upgrade to Rigid or Baja Designs if it is warranted based off use/need.

Some key highlights, cutting with a dremel is optional, but you need to drill 2 holes. If you are able to do this, keep reading. You will need some hardware, I used allen bolts, nylon lock nuts, and washers I found in my garage. I also love that I don't need to mess around with centering the light bar since we are installing it on factory components that are already centered!! YES!! haha

I came across these $24 brackets from etrailer and after some measuring and lot of luck, everything will work.

1) Remove the lower front grill, this has been covered in other threads quite extensively. You can pull it off by hand, start from the top and work your way around. Watch out for front parking sensor if you have it. I don't have pictures but I had to remove one bracket in order to fully remove the grill out of the bumper. It is a vertical bracket and prevents the grill cover from being pulled out of the bumper.

2) I cut off a few inches from the etrailer bracket because it will make contact with the front grill. I was also concerned that it would somehow block light output so I took out my dremel and cut off about 2inches. See below pictures of the bracket mounted on the light bar. You can see where I cut the bracket off to the left side of the picture (yes I should have touched the cut up with some paint to prevent rust).

3) My light bar came with side brackets which i installed in conjunction with the etrailer brackets. The main reason I did was to take advantage of the detents/notches in the bracket so the light bar doesn't inadvertently change angles while driving or hitting a bump. As luck will have it, there is a second benefit which I will get into later.

4) Mount the brackets like pictured. I made sure the etrailer brackets were installed as straight as possible knowing that I could adjust the angle once everything was installed on the truck. See pics.

5) On the bracket behind the lower grill you will need to drill two holes. I measured 2 inches below the top (see pictures) on both sides. I believe I used a 5/16" drill, but your needs will depend on your hardware.

6) Bolt on your bracket and light bar unit to those two holes you drilled in step 5.

7) In step 3, I mentioned an additional benefit of the brackets that came with my lightbar. I was concerned that too much weight was being supported by the etrailer L bracket and thought my light bar was going to vibrate and shake a lot, especially during offroad use. Well, as luck would have it, the brackets that came with my light bar rests perfectly on a metal lip on the back of the bumper about 1/8 - 1/4" deep. So the front of the light bar is seated snuggly on top of this ledge bearing the weight of the front while the etrailer bracket supports the rear of the light bar.

I know this seems ghetto, but this is why it is a DIY and not a $600-$900 kit LOL. I am more excited about the fact that everything worked out so well, this rarely happens to me.

Last edited:

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For about $12 more you order the rough country light bar brackets and they bolt right up with factory hardware with no drilling unless you have Rebel than you need to supply your own hardware but still no drilling required.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

lukesteeler89

Reaction score
For about $12 more you order the rough country light bar brackets and they bolt right up with factory hardware with no drilling unless you have Rebel than you need to supply your own hardware but still no drilling required.

What he said. The rough country brackets cost me $34 shipped, and maybe $3 in bolts, washers, etc.. No drilling.

Asdavid

Reaction score
For about $12 more you order the rough country light bar brackets and they bolt right up with factory hardware with no drilling unless you have Rebel than you need to supply your own hardware but still drilling
What hardware do you need

RumRam

Reaction score
Following. Have 2020 Ram Rebel and not looking to drill holes. Any info on hardware would be great. Thanks.
I see the link for the light, is there a link for the brackets, along with hardware info? Sorry, new to light bar install and don't want to spend tons of money. Thank you.

Last edited:

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
Looks good. I'm thinking I will do a hidden winch in that particular area though. I haven't explored alternate lighting options in the upper grille area. :unsure:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good. I'm thinking I will do a hidden winch in that particular area though. I haven't explored alternate lighting options in the upper grille area. :unsure:

It's not impossible to put things in the upper grille, but I do believe there are the active grille shutters already occupying that real estate

2019-ram-1500-active-grille-shutters.jpg

andlar1372

Reaction score
Frig that’s the issue I have as well; my ‘20 sport night edition has the solid lower grille and the active grille shutters in the actual grille so it makes placing / tucking a lightbar anywhere very hard :(

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
It's not impossible to put things in the upper grille, but I do believe there are the active grille shutters already occupying that real estate

2019-ram-1500-active-grille-shutters.jpg
Interesting. I knew those were in there but haven't really investigated how much space they take.

joemo

Reaction score
What he said. The rough country brackets cost me $34 shipped, and maybe $3 in bolts, washers, etc.. No drilling.
From where? I have a 2021 and can't find the brackets anywhere? I am finding complete kits but I just want the brackets.
thanks

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i got my off of ebay.they are not to expensive only cost 40.00$ (y)

Attachments

• 100_1794.JPG
    100_1794.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_1795.JPG
    100_1795.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_1796.JPG
    100_1796.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 70

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From where? I have a 2021 and can't find the brackets anywhere? I am finding complete kits but I just want the brackets.
thanks
I purchased them direct from rough country over the phone(not listed on website last year.

joemo

Reaction score
I purchased them direct from rough country over the phone(not listed on website last year.

Thanks, I will give them a call tomorrow.

Dansjeep2000

Reaction score
So does this kit contain the brackets we are talking about? I am in the market to do a similar setup once my Rebel comes in. Also this kit specifically states it won't work on the Rebel, anyone know why and what modifications are necessary to make it work? Or is there another RC kit and bracket set that does?

joemo

Reaction score
So does this kit contain the brackets we are talking about? I am in the market to do a similar setup once my Rebel comes in. Also this kit specifically states it won't work on the Rebel, anyone know why and what modifications are necessary to make it work? Or is there another RC kit and bracket set that does?

Yes it includes everything.

Users who are viewing this thread