5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-Torque Worth It?

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I don't know where the "smooth" shift thing comes from either. I've test driven with and without and I have no idea how the trans could shift any smoother. These trucks with and w/o etorque have the same trans. I know I saw it somewhere in the marketing hype, but I'm pretty sure it sits in the same BS category as the better EPA rating. About as real as fairy dust and unicorns.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t disagree with mpg statements, hype or smoothness shifts of non etorque.
I do agree great tactics to push the next gen of ram 1500.
That smoothness on non etorque comes with a cost of friction material lose per forced slippage to achieve that. As for cost of abuse on the etorque system. Only time will tell

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ill say this, I'd rather replace the MGU and or its belt (like an alternator) than replace the transmission!
No doubt, as I stated earlier in thread, not only cost difference. as you said, labor difference as well!!!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my truck with the E-torque last June because it was a cheap option. At current prices, I'd skip it.

My thinking at the time was for the added torque they advertised as I do some towing (enclosed car trailer) and I felt I could get the mpg benefits of the 3.21 gears and the additional torque off the line. I'm plenty fine with the 3.21's running around as I run "empty" 95+% of the time. I'm finally dragging my car trailer a bit this weekend. A trip to Bradenton and back. Maybe about 300 miles round trip. Curious what kind fuel economy will be. Performance will be just fine because there will hardly be a hill along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread