5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-Torque Worth It?

TwinSac

Reaction score
Last month I asked if the 12" screen was worth the upgrade (I am now getting the 12" screen). Now I need to ask if upgrading the V8-Hemi to the e-torque is worth it.

When I first heard about the new engine I was really looking forward to getting it. Better gas mileage and more torque on the low end seemed like a perfect match. I tow a 26' travel trailer and torque is always needed. I need 3.92 gears to help future proof for my next RV but now Im questioning the e-torque.

So: Is upgrading the Hemi to the e-torque a good idea?

SacRebel

Reaction score
So far there has been no gas savings in mpg to be seen. But if you do a lot of city driving where the engine shuts off when stopped, there could be some savings over time in the form of less fill ups.

I don’t tow but I would think the extra torque would be nice.

I think it’s a personal decision if you want to pay the extra money for very little in results.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
1) Congratulations on the 12", it's pretty awesome. I too was concerned and had the same questions about it. Glad I went with it.

2) eTorque is the worst name they could have ever given this thing. It gives you NO additional torque. It literally rotates the tires 1/2 a rotation to nudge the vehicle forward and aid with the engine start/stop feature. Yes, start/stop. The thing where the engine stops when you roll up to a stop light and sit there idle for more than a couple seconds. When you let your foot off the brake, it starts up really fast and you get a little nudge. Not like an electric golf cart or a tesla. It ain't extra torque. It's just a fancy start/stop feature that smooths it out. I've had several iterations of start/stop with BMW and Audi and they are all very clunky and drive me insane. I immediately disable them every time I turn the cars on. I will admit, this is the best implementation of Start/Stop I've ever seen. It really is almost not noticable....but I emphasize almost. You can feel the engine shut off, but they've at least eliminated the delay on the restart. It's pretty slick, but not worth extra money. Even now, I disable it because I don't like how it feels when it shuts off.

It's only saving fuel when you are in a situation where the engine shuts off and isn't using fuel. That's it. While you are in motion and the engine is running, it's all business as usual. You get whatever fuel economy you get with a big v8.

And in regards to towing, I've not noticed anything. I typically engage the tow/haul when towing and that disables all of that stuff any way.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1) Congratulations on the 12", it's pretty awesome. I too was concerned and had the same questions about it. Glad I went with it.

2) eTorque is the worst name they could have ever given this thing. It gives you NO additional torque. It literally rotates the tires 1/2 a rotation to nudge the vehicle forward and aid with the engine start/stop feature. Yes, start/stop. The thing where the engine stops when you roll up to a stop light and sit there idle for more than a couple seconds. When you let your foot off the brake, it starts up really fast and you get a little nudge. Not like an electric golf cart or a tesla. It ain't extra torque. It's just a fancy start/stop feature that smooths it out. I've had several iterations of start/stop with BMW and Audi and they are all very clunky and drive me insane. I immediately disable them every time I turn the cars on. I will admit, this is the best implementation of Start/Stop I've ever seen. It really is almost not noticable....but I emphasize almost. You can feel the engine shut off, but they've at least eliminated the delay on the restart. It's pretty slick, but not worth extra money. Even now, I disable it because I don't like how it feels when it shuts off.

It's only saving fuel when you are in a situation where the engine shuts off and isn't using fuel. That's it. While you are in motion and the engine is running, it's all business as usual. You get whatever fuel economy you get with a big v8.

And in regards to towing, I've not noticed anything. I typically engage the tow/haul when towing and that disables all of that stuff any way.
Im happy I didn't add that option to my build...The 3.92 should be just fine.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking at the responses above I will not disagree to a point. Regardless of how/purpose of the etorque system was derived from and/or to do.

I feel it’s main attribute is the ability to take a sound long lasting powertrain and make it better and longer lasting then previous. taking the shock and loads off of the main powertrain components. How long will it last from abuse idk. I can say either 2 main components will not cost close to what the big drivetrain components will to replace.

Main example for myself would be during any type of shifts. Speed matching trans and engine to effortlessly smooth shifts. With that almost eliminating clutch material lost per every shift and shock through the rest of the drivetrain. This huge to me, as I def don’t want to pay for this trans anytime down the road.
Yes start stop can be annoying to me at times but other times, like waiting for the wife to drop something off at a friends house turns into 15min of time. That is a nice benefit to sit there with all the comforts and engine not idling away.

As I’ve said before. Unless some form of renewable/super clean fuel for internal combustion engines is to be found/produced. Like it or not the vehicles and def the trucks soon down the road will have to be assisted with electric drive components of some level to stay around.

slimchance

Reaction score
when the wife bought her eTorque i was against buy it BUT is was HER trk and it WAS perty ..... after 3 months of driving it i traded my 2018 Tundra TRD Limited on the black trk with eTorque ... the post above are right for them .... and yes in tow/haul mode there is no added torque by the system because eTorque only adds torque in the first 1/2 tire rotation from a stop ... eTorque does smoooooth out the shifting both up and down and does a really good job of that ... is it increasing my mpg, we just started using Fuelly but overall both our eTowque trks average between 18 - 19 hc ... when driving in town and sitting at light after light the trk shuts down and does not lower my average

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Longhorn does not have the eTorque. Is the start/stop feature only on the eTorque equipped trucks? Hadn't even thought about this feature until I read this thread. If I do have it on mine, not sure that I would turn it on. But curious to know if the non-eTorque even has it.

Thanks!

Kidder

Reaction score
My Longhorn does not have the eTorque. Is the start/stop feature only on the eTorque equipped trucks? Hadn't even thought about this feature until I read this thread. If I do have it on mine, not sure that I would turn it on. But curious to know if the non-eTorque even has it.

Thanks!
Start/stop is only available on eTorque Hemis.

Kidder

Reaction score
Nope big waste of money. All marketing B.S. It is the best start stop feature on the market if that is important to you.
Can't say I disagree. I have an eTorque and was hoping the fuel mileage would be better, but it averages only one MPG better than my 2011 Hemi with 5-speed transmission which I attribute to the newer 8-speed tranny. I do like the start/stop feature and regen braking but, for me, it's not worth the additional cost.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another eTorque guy here not seeing the MPG benefits yet. Love the start / stop though, and I have faith they'll sort out the MPG

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone is saying that it smooths out the shifts...so its good. I have a non e-torque Limited...I can barely feel any shifts in my truck (up or down). I'm not sure how e-torque is smoothing anything out. The tranny does a superb job of this all on its own. I test drove both, no differences between shifting. I opted for what I got because of the Start/Stop feature. Hated it on my Raptor...until I programmed it away.

Cannonball

Reaction score
Cons
$1250 more, 3 gal smaller tank, 150# less payload, far more unproven parts that can fail.

Think of it like this, you're debating on paying twice as much for the same exact engine that does nothing measurably different at this point.

I actually like the idea of electric cars and trucks but this is straight bolt on marketing right now. Next gens hopefully give us more than a nudge and fairytale "hybrid" and "tourque" marketing campaign.

Cannonball

Reaction score
20180809_183602.jpg
Think of it like this, you're debating on paying twice as much for the same exact engine that does nothing measurably different at this point.

I actually like the idea of electric cars and trucks but
Just wanted to show you i also debated this for awhile but the payoff just didn't add up!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cons
$1250 more, 3 gal smaller tank, 150# less payload, far more unproven parts that can fail.

I actually like the idea of electric cars and trucks but this is straight bolt on marketing right now. Next gens hopefully give us more than a nudge and fairytale "hybrid" and "tourque" marketing campaign.
Smaller tank? What?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 17857
Am I being misinformed by the always accurate RAM build app? That shows 23 for the eTorque. My 5.7 non eT is 26

The standard tank on all the trucks is 23 gal, until you get to the Laramie and up trims, where it's supposed to be 26 gal. The 26 gal and 33 gal tanks are the optional ones. It's not about the engine choice.

Users who are viewing this thread