5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E torque / stop start

850rider

Reaction score
Do you still get the e torque torque boost if you override the stop start ?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No?
What proof do you have on that?
It doesn't add it's HP to your engine, so it would seem it only engages when the engine itself is not. Ran was very careful in their documentation to say that they eTorque motor and engine don't operate together to add power. If start-stop is disabled eTorque will never be engaged as the engine is always kept engaged.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't think so.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No?
What proof do you have on that?
It doesn't add it's HP to your engine, so it would seem it only engages when the engine itself is not. Ran was very careful in their documentation to say that they eTorque motor and engine don't operate together to add power. If start-stop is disabled eTorque will never be engaged as the engine is always kept engaged.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't think so.
The eTorque motor adds 130 ft lbs of torque as you take off. It is well documented from Ram. Stop/start has nothing to do with it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The eTorque motor adds 130 ft lbs of torque as you take off. It is well documented from Ram. Stop/start has nothing to do with it.
It doesn't add 130 ft-lbs. It is 130 ft-lbs and the engine goes to engage, I believe first half or quarter turn ONLY.
If it ADDED 130 ft-lbs trucks with eTorque would have a faster 0-60 time then trucks without (and they don't)

Where is the documentation that says it "adds" torque?

vincentw56

Reaction score
It doesn't add 130 ft-lbs. It is 130 ft-lbs and the engine goes to engage, I believe first half or quarter turn ONLY.
If it ADDED 130 ft-lbs trucks with eTorque would have a faster 0-60 time then trucks without (and they don't)

Where is the documentation that says it "adds" torque?
It's all over the internet. It's also included in a few Ram videos that were done for interviews. It adds 130 ft lb of torque in about a thousand RPM or something like that. But it does ADD to it. It's well documented all you have to do is look at the videos from the Ram engineers. It is 100% added to the engine on takeoff.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Total toque output is still listed at 410 lb. feet with etorque, you are not getting 520 lb feet total if you have etorque. 110 lb feet is the rating of the system and it is put out on the first tire revolution but not in conjunction with the Engine.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Total toque output is still listed at 410 lb. feet with etorque, you are not getting 520 lb feet total if you have etorque. 110 lb feet is the rating of the system and it is put out on the first tire revolution but not in conjunction with the Engine.
Correct, but it is 90 ft lb for V6 and 130 ft lb for V8. And it is in conjuction with the engine. And everything else I stated holds true.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So ET adds 130 ft/lbs to 0.
It only works until the engine is running.

vincentw56

Reaction score
You could always go straight to the source:

Thanks for the video. That was the one I was looking for. Where it talks about the eroll assist the adds torque to the engine to get it going.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s a crossover, obviously. It’s not like the generator stops spinning when the engine starts!
Sure, but practically it's negligible.
That's why RAM doesn't add the two peak torque values in their max torque specs.

vincentw56

Reaction score
So ET adds 130 ft/lbs to 0.
It only works until the engine is running.
The engine's running when it adds that extra power to it. It has nothing to do with whether the engine is not running or not. It starts after the engine starts running. It just gives an extra little push.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Sure, but practically it's negligible.
That's why RAM doesn't add the two peak torque values in their max torque specs.
That is correct. But the argument that was made earlier was that it didn't add anything to it. Even though it may not be much the fact is it still adds to it.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The engine's running when it adds that extra power to it. It has nothing to do with whether the engine is not running or not. It starts after the engine starts running. It just gives an extra little push.
From a stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/