5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dust leaking thru backdoors

Codey24

Reaction score
I have this same dust issue on my new 2020 sport. 3500 kms on the truck .. Noticed it like almost righ away as i live on a dirt road and hunting season started i drive a lot of dusty roads and hell its bad when i open my rear doors. I just noticed it first by the dust storm that happens when i open it and then see it all over my gear in the back.

Firstly i used to work in the dealer body shop, i am NO pro and no body man but i used to adjust stuff, take doors apart and replace latches, windows, regulators, cables, handles ect ect. Only mentioning this because i had a 2018 before this truck and anybody who has can say these trucks are hella lighter material then 4th gens, i close the rear doors and its like a empty pop can, and i can only imagine the seal not doing its job as we vibrate over anything on the road. when i open the rear doors i can see the seal on the door is completely covered in dust.. where if it was making GOOD contact on the body.. the door seal all around it wouldnt be full of dust on that side. Its dusty up my doors, on the floor, under the seats ect. If its not the door simply shaking letting the dust past the seal then its not making a good seal what so ever and the seal needs to be thicker or the whole door needs to be pushed in (which would affect the alignment of things being flush obviously). Other thing is those lower door vents like grills were FULL of dust.. its like there sucking dusty air from under the truck inside the door sill and thats why its blowing past the door rubber seal. I had to use a water hose and blast those grilles clean of dirt every time.

Im not trying to sound like a pro here just i dont like dealing and waiting on dealerships to figure things out.

Im lost for ideas cause it doesnt seem like theres a fix for it and im kinda disappointed my brand new truck is no longer brand new inside with it being sanded like a desert sandstorm inside.

I am temped to block those lower door vents and give that a try.. and i can post the results ‍♂️

kirglynn

Reaction score
I have this same dust issue on my new 2020 sport. 3500 kms on the truck .. Noticed it like almost righ away as i live on a dirt road and hunting season started i drive a lot of dusty roads and hell its bad when i open my rear doors. I just noticed it first by the dust storm that happens when i open it and then see it all over my gear in the back.

Firstly i used to work in the dealer body shop, i am NO pro and no body man but i used to adjust stuff, take doors apart and replace latches, windows, regulators, cables, handles ect ect. Only mentioning this because i had a 2018 before this truck and anybody who has can say these trucks are hella lighter material then 4th gens, i close the rear doors and its like a empty pop can, and i can only imagine the seal not doing its job as we vibrate over anything on the road. when i open the rear doors i can see the seal on the door is completely covered in dust.. where if it was making GOOD contact on the body.. the door seal all around it wouldnt be full of dust on that side. Its dusty up my doors, on the floor, under the seats ect. If its not the door simply shaking letting the dust past the seal then its not making a good seal what so ever and the seal needs to be thicker or the whole door needs to be pushed in (which would affect the alignment of things being flush obviously). Other thing is those lower door vents like grills were FULL of dust.. its like there sucking dusty air from under the truck inside the door sill and thats why its blowing past the door rubber seal. I had to use a water hose and blast those grilles clean of dirt every time.

Im not trying to sound like a pro here just i dont like dealing and waiting on dealerships to figure things out.

Im lost for ideas cause it doesnt seem like theres a fix for it and im kinda disappointed my brand new truck is no longer brand new inside with it being sanded like a desert sandstorm inside.

I am temped to block those lower door vents and give that a try.. and i can post the results ‍♂
Yes it is very frustrating. I paid to have mine detailed and it's all filthy again and all my hunting gear. After looking at my door I noticed both rear doors were poorly aligned and adjusted so they are fairly flush to see if they improved at all because the seals basically show all around where dust gets in. I have to agree on the vents being an issue, I did have tape over one for short period and didn't seem to solve the issue. Mine is supposed to be going back to the body shop to have it looked over. Let me know how it works plugging both vents.

Blackjack

Reaction score
Having same problem 2020 Ram Laramie CC. Second trip to dealer have told them if not fixed it will be theirs 3000 miles ridiculous.

sdog

Reaction score
If you drive these trucks on dirt roads, dust will get in. It doesn't matter the brand, there's no way around it.

When I off roaded the Raptor hard, there was dust on the sills, there was dust on the jambs, there was dust on the sides of my seats, there was dust inside the vents, there was dust on the top of the dash. It's not a defect in the manufacturing, it's just the nature of dust. Hell I had a both a bee and scorpion somehow get caught into the hvac system and fly in through my dash vent on one run ... the scorpion was interesting. That mofo wasn't happy, I almost 'dusted' my underpants.

slauso

Reaction score
Have the same problem on my 19 crew cab. Took it to the dealer. They said there is a star case regarding the vents on the back of the cab not being sealed right. They took out the back seat and whatever to get to the vents. Whatever they did{ i could smell the caulk) has seemed to help. I still get dust around the vents below the back doors but seems to be better in the back seat area. If they put the star case # on the invoice I will post it.

kirglynn

Reaction score
If you drive these trucks on dirt roads, dust will get in. It doesn't matter the brand, there's no way around it.

When I off roaded the Raptor hard, there was dust on the sills, there was dust on the jambs, there was dust on the sides of my seats, there was dust inside the vents, there was dust on the top of the dash. It's not a defect in the manufacturing, it's just the nature of dust. Hell I had a both a bee and scorpion somehow get caught into the hvac system and fly in through my dash vent on one run ... the scorpion was interesting. That mofo wasn't happy, I almost 'dusted' my underpants.
It does matter the brand. I traded in 2019 GMC 2500 Denali with 27000 miles in the same conditions and backseat was great with no dust now everything is pure grit back there. The 2015, 2017, and 2018 Ford were not great but it was only a fine dust around the door handles. This is a serious problem and clearly these were never tested off paved roads.

Blackjack

Reaction score

I would expect interior to get wet if I drove through 3 feet water. This happens after 1/2 hour gravel road, you open back doors and dust literally explodes into truck interior.

westerner

Reaction score
Hi @kirglynn - If you do address this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message for an additional layer of support through that process.

Mark
RamCares
Dear Ram Cares,
‘I bought a new 2021 1500 crew cab Laramie in April. I farm in Arizona.
‘I’ve had the dust/small dry grass leaks as in this forum in the back doors. I live 100 miles from my dealer. This is my first FCA product. My previous vehicles didn’t have this problem to this extent. Any ideas on remedies would be greatly appreciated.
‘tedd haas
willcox, arizona
dealer: Jim Click Ram in Tucson.

fsjosh

Reaction score
Has anyone found a solve for this issue? My 21 Rebel stays dirty all Summer while I'm driving on dirt roads. The vents in the back door jambs have a lot of fine dust in them any time I look as well. I asked the service department last time I was there and they said it's a fresh air vent and they didn't know anything that could be done about it, but said not to seal them as its the fresh air intake. I'm just wondering if there's a way to put a fine filter on them somewhere. I'm guessing these are tied to the vents on the back wall that have been mentioned in other threads. I just didn't want to pull the back seat and try to rig something if someone else already found a solution.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone found a solve for this issue? My 21 Rebel stays dirty all Summer while I'm driving on dirt roads. The vents in the back door jambs have a lot of fine dust in them any time I look as well. I asked the service department last time I was there and they said it's a fresh air vent and they didn't know anything that could be done about it, but said not to seal them as its the fresh air intake. I'm just wondering if there's a way to put a fine filter on them somewhere. I'm guessing these are tied to the vents on the back wall that have been mentioned in other threads. I just didn't want to pull the back seat and try to rig something if someone else already found a solution.
Hey there,

We're sorry to hear about your frustration with this. If you decide to take your truck back to the dealer and want some assistance with this, please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The road I live on is 1/2 mile gravel and I drive it multiple times daily. We had a drought where it didn't really rain for two months this year. You should have seen the inside of my truck.

To be fair, I've had every brand of pickup truck sold in the U.S. and they are all this way. Gravel dust and grime will get up inside the door jambs. The only truck I've had that was better was the Jeep Gladiator. Those are designed to keep water out at a depth of 33" and when you close those doors you have to slam them. It sounds like shutting the door on a submarine. Very good seal.

fsjosh

Reaction score
The road I live on is 1/2 mile gravel and I drive it multiple times daily. We had a drought where it didn't really rain for two months this year. You should have seen the inside of my truck.

To be fair, I've had every brand of pickup truck sold in the U.S. and they are all this way. Gravel dust and grime will get up inside the door jambs. The only truck I've had that was better was the Jeep Gladiator. Those are designed to keep water out at a depth of 33" and when you close those doors you have to slam them. It sounds like shutting the door on a submarine. Very good seal.
Dust on the jambs and seals aren't the problem. The constant layer of dust on the dash and seats is. I've never had it this bad in any truck I've owned.

Paul Scheller

Reaction score
Ram basically uses the same door sealing technique as GM and Ford so there's nothing unusual in the approach. If road dust is getting into the interior, there's a loss of sealing somewhere. If you suspect the doors are the problem you can verify seal integrity by using a thin sheet of paper to check the perimeter seals when the door is closed. I've used a 0.010 inch thick of plastic strip for this purpose.

Be aware that where you see the dust may not be an indication of where the seal leak is.

Your dealer's service dept. should be able to diagnose that problem.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033077 miles.
I have dust leaks also and wonder if the small vents at bottom of door opening have anything to do with it.

Paul Scheller

Reaction score
I ended up getting mine and dealer sent me to their auto body shop and is going to do the same, pull all the back seat flooring up. It sounds like they have had to do a handful but told me no fix for all the dust holding around the door seal that creates the poof of dust when you open the door and all your cargo gets blasted.
What shutters?

Users who are viewing this thread