5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Durango Replacement To Be Based On Ram 1500...

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Next-Generation Dodge Durango Goes BoF!
Durango Replacement To Be Based On Ram 1500...

DurangoSRT-780x405.jpg

2021 Dodge Durango SRT Rendering. (DarkSky Design)

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) currently has one assembly plant operating inside the city limits of Detroit. The Jefferson North Assembly Plant (JNAP) produces the Grand Cherokee for US and worldwide export and the Durango for US, Canada, Mexico. The Grand Cherokee has called JNAP home since the nameplate was first introduced in 1993. Grand Cherokee is a solid performer with sales over 257,000 units in North America alone last year. Many questions have been raised about production capacity restraints at the plant. The Durango currently sells 75,000 units built per year. It is believed both vehicles could sell more if they were not competing against each other for production capacity.

JNAP_2014_20kgvb6qnhtrpiucd4gpbrlk6cql.jpg

Jefferson North Assembly Plant (JNAP). (FCA US Photo)

Mopar Insiders sources have heard that FCA has figured out a way to solve the issue and offer Durango better chance to tackle the three row SUV competition, like the Chevrolet Tahoe. We expect the next generation Dodge Durango will move from the shared unibody with the Grand Cherokee over to based over to a body-on-frame (BoF) platform based on the Ram 1500. This is will be first time since 2009 that the Durango will be on a BoF architecture.

455516t-0330high.jpg

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4×4. (FCA US Photo)

The next Durango is expected leave JNAP and move to the Warren Truck Assembly Plant in Warren, Michigan alongside the all-new 2020 Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer (WS). The Durango will continue to be aimed at its current “street based” market while our sources state the “WS” twins will be more focused on luxury and off-road capability. The Warren plant, FCA’s oldest plant, will go through a $1.1 billion dollar upgrade after production ends of the 2018 Ram 1500 (DS) models this summer. After the renovations and upgrades, the new Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer, Ram HD and Durango will all call it home by 2021.

T2006_032high-1.jpg

2006 Dodge Durango SLT 4×4. (FCA US Photo)

The Dodge Durango nameplate made its debut as a BoF mid-size SUV in 1997, as a 1998 model. It continued on after a 2004 model year change where it got to almost full-size proportions. It was then when the Durango started being cross-shopped with vehicles like the Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Expedition and GMC Yukon. After being axed during the automotive crisis in 2009, the vehicle was moved to a slightly smaller three-row SUV based on the Grand Cherokee platform.

To Read The Rest Of The Article, Click The Link Below...

https://moparinsiders.com/next-generation-dodge-durango-goes-bof/

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@VoiceOfReason ...what do you think about a TRX and/or TR Durango...Oh boy, only God knows what we might see in the next 3 years from FCA if this train keeps rolling.

All my dreams are coming true lol. Now, what kinda fertilizer should I use on the Money Tree I got for the backyard?

Rustydodge

Reaction score
This is good news and not surprised from it at all. Still wondering if Chrysler will get an Aspen version then too (like they did during 2nd gen). Chrysler portfolio pretty empty. Really like our current durango, but would consider upgrading to one with a little more 2nd row room.

D

Deleted member103

Rusty, I have high regard for your opinions, so i've come out of "semiretirement" to say so and for your feedback on todays TFL-Trucks comments in the REBEL/Other DT models Off-road versions "COMPARE" article ! Not much new (at all) in the Article itself, but appreciate your knowledge expressed ! I'm still in the market for a Big Horn Off-Roader Quad/Level 1, but with the ever increasing multiple Plant / DT "Issues" increasing (not decreasing?) - My When has now been Extended out to perhaps as late as Early 2019 ! Would that now actually be "model year" 2020 ? Or is FCA going to Continue down the same delusional path it did with the Intro of the new CHEROKEE / Remembering THAT debacle "scares" this old Dodge/"RAM" LIFER !
We'll see ! ? Now it's time to crawl back in to "my hole" bye !

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Rusty, I have high regard for your opinions, so i've come out of "semiretirement" to say so and for your feedback on todays TFL-Trucks comments in the REBEL/Other DT models Off-road versions "COMPARE" article ! Not much new (at all) in the Article itself, but appreciate your knowledge expressed ! I'm still in the market for a Big Horn Off-Roader Quad/Level 1, but with the ever increasing multiple Plant / DT "Issues" increasing (not decreasing?) - My When has now been Extended out to perhaps as late as Early 2019 ! Would that now actually be "model year" 2020 ? Or is FCA going to Continue down the same delusional path it did with the Intro of the new CHEROKEE / Remembering THAT debacle "scares" this old Dodge/"RAM" LIFER !
We'll see ! ? Now it's time to crawl back in to "my hole" bye !

Thanks Lou for the kind words. I'll be the first to say i don't know everything and have been incorrect at times, but i try to give insight when possible. I'm tight with my cash, and rely heavily on the wealth of knowledge/insight available on the internet/forums and am very data-driven. This has led me to hold onto my old, rusty truck that continues to serve me well. I'm planning to hold out until I see what the refresh of the 5th gen brings to decide if i'll find a used 4th gen or go all out and order a 5th gen. Still too many options that are difficult to configure to my liking, and if I'm laying down 40-50k on a truck, its gonna be exactly what i want.

Regarding FCA we'll know a lot more after June 1st on their plans. Personally it is hard to argue with the business results/profitability that should result in debt free company. Sometimes that means we don't see vehicles/models we think should be in the portfolio. Sometimes marketing drives projects that they think will be great and turn out to be a flop. It happens in all corporations. What i will never defend is cost cutting measures that sacrifice quality (thanks Daimler) or part issues that continue unresolved (common water pump failures at 30k miles on newer hemis for example.).

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Sounds like the Chrysler nameplate may be in question based on this rumor

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/could-chrysler-killed-friday-190451790.html

Yeah i caught wind of that. Really if FCA decided to change the emblem on the Pacifica and call it a Dodge Grand Caravan instead would it matter that much? But i doubt highly Chrysler brand is disappearing. It is the "C" in FCA after all. I think Chrysler will get a new full size SUV (Durango/Aspen) and a new 3 row crossover (our version of the Grand Commander in Asia to replace missing Dodge Journey). Not sure what will happen with the 300 but I'd be sad to see it go.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can’t wait, a full size Durango! This is why I currently own a Ford Expedition. Dodge, Chrysler really do not have anything in the large suv segment. Hope it happens.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A full sized Durango....finally. A 2021 Durango or a 2021 TR/TRX pickup...choices choices! Thank you for the article link, great news!
It is a great time to be a Mopar fan, unfortunately that also means there are alot of choices to make.

Now, once you decide on a truck, you don't get away with just picking a 1500 or 2500. Now you have to decide if you wait for the HD, then if you pick the 1500, should I wait for the TRX, and now we have a Full size BOF coming that hasn't been offered by Ram since 1993 here in the U.S. and since 2002 in Mexico.

And we won't even start with all the info www.moparinsiders.com is offering over there.

And there is the mid size pickup.

I have been waiting a longtime for this. Just wish they would leave the durango name to dodge and give us the Ram Charger

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is a great time to be a Mopar fan, unfortunately that also means there are alot of choices to make.

Now, once you decide on a truck, you don't get away with just picking a 1500 or 2500. Now you have to decide if you wait for the HD, then if you pick the 1500, should I wait for the TRX, and now we have a Full size BOF coming that hasn't been offered by Ram since 1993 here in the U.S. and since 2002 in Mexico.

And we won't even start with all the info www.moparinsiders.com is offering over there.

And there is the mid size pickup.

I have been waiting a longtime for this. Just wish they would leave the durango name to dodge and give us the Ram Charger
Good point, if its based on the 1500 platform name it RAM Charger, and let it look like the 1500.

Users who are viewing this thread