5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual channel DashCam with rear cap

sandman98

Reaction score
looking to add a blackvue dr750x-2ch dash cam for general protection from idiots (both driving and parked). anyone know if i can place the rearview camera inside the cab (probably on the rear window out of the way of the slider) even with a Leer cap on the back? or would i be better off running the cables to the rear and mounting the camera on the rear glass of the cap? any advice would be much appreciated.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I have mine on the passenger side rear... the cap is in the way but you can get the jest of what’s going on around you while driving. In parking mode the rear facing is useless with a cap on.... no viability to see the details. They make a cable extension that will allow you to mount to the rear cap glass, I would suggest that if your able.... I may change mine sometime in the future.

Maxx102

Reaction score
Short answer is yes. you will be able to run it to the rear cap. I have seen this done numerous times on law enforcement vehicles. However, how much time do you want to invest in wiring??? Most professional jobs involve removing the interior pillar covers and ceiling to hide the wiring....But if you are ok with exposed wires, then that works too.

With that said I wasn't familiar with the camera you are using so I went to their website and looked up. To connect the rear camera, they use simple coax cable which is a relief. They have two versions, a standard coax cable and waterproof coax cable in several lengths from 1.5 meters (4.9 feet) to 20 meters (65.6 feet) for the standard coax, and either 15 or 20 meter coax for the waterproof type. if the exposure of the cable from where it exits the cab to where it enters the bed is three feet or less, you can probably be ok with just the standard coax, but make sure you wire it so it's protected, such as with split loom. This will help keep abrasions down to a minimum. Also be mindful of where the cable enters/exits the cab and bed and use rubber grommets prior to feeding the cable through.

If you are unsure of how long of cable you need, my recommendation is to take some cord - like paracord and run the distance from where you plan on mounting the front camera to the location where you are going to mount the rear camera. This will give you a fairly reliable idea of how much you need. A little extra cable doesn't hurt as it gives you flexibility, but too much cable is a pain in the butt to deal with.

Techna

Reaction score
I have a camera mounted on my rear cap that is part of a digital rear view mirror. I posted my impressions in my truck’s thread in the “Member’s Trucks“ sub forum. Short answer is that I wasn’t happy with the degraded nighttime performance when mounted behind the dark tinted glass and moved it outside. I’m not sure how other cameras would be impacted by the glass, but the Pormido’s very good night performance took a hit. FWIW, the camera/mirror I used came with a 39ft rear camera cable and it was plenty long enough, with maybe only 3ft left over.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have been doing these installations for over 10 years if you want to PM me and I'll share my number so we can chat. Happy to help!

Users who are viewing this thread