5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT to JL and back to DT again.

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
I'm back!

In 2019 I bought my first truck. 2019 Bighorn North Edition. Had that for about three years. Traded that in for a 2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Diesel the proceeded to dump almost 20k into accessories into the darn thing.

Thirteen months later I couldn't get myself to liking the Jeep at all! So I dumped it for a 2023 DT Laramie. Now to get back into AlfaOBD and see if I can convert the TaserJL firmware to a DT. So friggin happy to be back!

Attachments

• IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 78

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome, and congrats!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The dealer loaned me a brand-new Jeep Wrangler and I hated every second of it. Its ride is horrible. It drove horrible. It was nowhere near as nice as my Ram.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I'm back!

In 2019 I bought my first truck. 2019 Bighorn North Edition. Had that for about three years. Traded that in for a 2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Diesel the proceeded to dump almost 20k into accessories into the darn thing.

Thirteen months later I couldn't get myself to liking the Jeep at all! So I dumped it for a 2023 DT Laramie. Now to get back into AlfaOBD and see if I can convert the TaserJL firmware to a DT. So friggin happy to be back!
Welcome back. Yea, I was always a Jeep guy. I got a 2020 Rubicon and it seemed good. It was not a Jeep though. Jeeps are meant to be spartan, rough, off road machines. This was too nice for that. And too small. I can spread out in my Bighorn.

For the Tazer, you don't need Alpha anything. If it is unmarried, reflash it from thier website. I did not think of this and bought one for the DT.

Then I wrote them and asked if the mini could be reflashed for my older 300. They said yes. The flash worked fine. How it plugs in does not. They told me to do a repair ticket and they would trade me my JL mini for a refurbished one to fit my car. Great! Doing that this weekend. Great service!

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
Welcome back. Yea, I was always a Jeep guy. I got a 2020 Rubicon and it seemed good. It was not a Jeep though. Jeeps are meant to be spartan, rough, off road machines. This was too nice for that. And too small. I can spread out in my Bighorn.

For the Tazer, you don't need Alpha anything. If it is unmarried, reflash it from thier website. I did not think of this and bought one for the DT.

Then I wrote them and asked if the mini could be reflashed for my older 300. They said yes. The flash worked fine. How it plugs in does not. They told me to do a repair ticket and they would trade me my JL mini for a refurbished one to fit my car. Great! Doing that this weekend. Great service!
I agree they are very nice rigs. Darn capable with the two Jeep trails here in Oregon.

Much appreciated on the Tazer firmware. I was able to restore mine and change the firmware to a DT.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i only went to Ram because JT doesn't have a hemi option and I want a truck that's capable of offroad.
PW is out the window because it would take me 30 point turn just to get it out of my backyard where I park.

i love my Rebel for the luxuriousness yet offroad capable. But I do want a solid axle for trails... less wobbling in the cab than IFS when flexed lol

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
i only went to Ram because JT doesn't have a hemi option and I want a truck that's capable of offroad.
PW is out the window because it would take me 30 point turn just to get it out of my backyard where I park.

i love my Rebel for the luxuriousness yet offroad capable. But I do want a solid axle for trails... less wobbling in the cab than IFS when flexed lol
Josh over at High Horse Performance drives a Wrangler (4 door) with a 6.4l in it.....

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Josh over at High Horse Performance drives a Wrangler (4 door) with a 6.4l in it.....
I know Hemi swaps are available and I can do it myself but I'm not down to do the work lol
sometimes life's about finding compromises.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I know Hemi swaps are available and I can do it myself but I'm not down to do the work lol
sometimes life's about finding compromises.
Or spending money. The Rubicon 392 is not a swap or a kit, it is from Jeep. Just as DS pointed out, mid $80k. My wallet looked like Fred Sanford when I looked that up.

source.gif

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or spending money. The Rubicon 392 is not a swap or a kit, it is from Jeep. Just as DS pointed out, mid $80k. My wallet looked like Fred Sanford when I looked that up.

View attachment 162328
yeah i know... if only they put a 392 in the Gladiator it'd be game over for me lolll

Edit: this whole time I read JL in the title as JT and was thinking JT the whole time lol

BowDown

Reaction score

View attachment 162328
No way I'd pay 86k for a jeep, that's crazy but a fool and his money i guess.
They could use a HC engine and it's still too much

mrclortho

Reaction score
My wife has a '22 JT Texas Edition on 37's and 5.13s and we love it for doing Jeep things.

We have two travel trailers (3,500lbs and 7,500lbs) and quickly discovered towing with the JT is an act of patience. We sometimes still tow the little one to Jeep events but even with the 5.13's, 65mph is about all I can ask of the JT towing. The 3.6L is pretty weak unless you are screaming in the RPM range resulting in a lot of noise and terrible fuel economy.

My '23 RAM 1500 5.7l etorque tows the big trailer at 75mph, no problem, but I typically pull at 70mph. I previously had a Power Wagon with the 6.4L, and I feel like my current 1500 actually tows better. It surprised me, but the PW seemed like it really had to work hard towing and 7-8 mpg where the 1500 will get 11-12 towing. Around town the PW would struggle to get 11 mpg where the 1500 typically sees 16.

My wife and I have been discussing a 5.7L Hemi swap next year for the JT which can be done quite a bit cheaper than a 6.4L. A 5.7L complete with reasonable mileage can be bought for $3k but a 6.4L goes for more than twice that and more.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
I'm back!

Welcome back!! Nice truck and I see you have the 3:92 gears, definitely gives this truck some pep!!

I couldn’t agree more that the Ram is way more comfortable than a wrangler. In my experience, the Ram is way more comfortable than most vehicles (including high end luxury vehicles like MB, etc)! I have the 2019 limited with air suspension and my son just bought a 2023 Big Horn. It’s hard to tell the difference in highway smoothness between my truck with air suspension and his truck. Ram did such a good job with suspension on all their trims👍

I have a 2023 wrangler 392 XR as well as my 2019 Ram. I use the Ram for hauling and long highway trips, but that 392 is a blast as a 2nd fun vehicle!!! My 392 has the XR package, which makes it handle slightly better and ride smoother that a regular JLU. Don’t pass up a chance to drive a 392 XR, it’s pretty amazing!! But I agree, if I could only have one vehicle, it would be the Ram for sure!

Attachments

• IMG_3615.jpeg
    IMG_3615.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 11

hockeyboy

Reaction score
I'm always one for a good nostalgia trip, especially about previous vehicles. The first thing I did when I graduated from college was to buy a brand new 1993 Jeep Wrangler. It was red, with a tan soft top, and I paid exactly $11,700 for it. It is absolutely mind boggling to me how much the prices for those things has gone up in 30 years. Many, many times the rate of inflation. I loved that thing. I traded it a couple years later for 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 318 (5.2 Magnum) I still have the window stickers.

Users who are viewing this thread