5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drum beating noise - Longhorn Limited 2022

godfather3300

Reaction score
OK, I've listened to it several times through my earbuds. Are we sure rolling the window down disables ANC? Maybe I missed the answer to this, but have you had the drumming happen while stationary? It really does sound like thumping out of the subwoofer. I think you need a buddy to get in the back while you drive and stick their head in the floorboard and listen.
It doesn't happen when it is stationary, and I think the windows down + the unit reset while driving should disable ANC at least for a moment, which during that time I heard the noise. I might be wrong and that would be a very persistent ANC!

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't happen when it is stationary, and I think the windows down + the unit reset while driving should disable ANC at least for a moment, which during that time I heard the noise. I might be wrong and that would be a very persistent ANC!
I don't think ANC is necessarily dependent on UConnect. I think it works no matter what. You've got a bunch of mics picking up road noise and actively feeding that to the sub. I do know that there are ANC bypass harnesses out there that some people pick up to eliminate it all together but I'm not sure what they cost or how to get them.

cleandirt

Reaction score
Mine makes this drumming noise, sometimes morphs into a droning noise. Rolling the windows down didn’t stop it. The dealership heard the noise and confirmed it went away when the amplifier containing the ANC module was unplugged. They have a new amplifier on order for me, it’s back ordered so I’m not sure when I’ll get a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wsutard1

Reaction score

cleandirt

Reaction score

Have you pursued this any further, a trip to the dealership or unplugging the amp to see if that stops the noise? I’m still waiting for my back ordered amplifier to come in, hopefully it won’t be too much longer and it solves the obnoxious noises.

GlennR

Reaction score
Hi All

New to the forum sorry if this is redundant I tried to look for an answer everywhere before I post.

My truck is about Two weeks old with 1100 miles on it. Last weekend I was driving back home and I had the music down to zero, left a parking lot and I hear this loud drum beating noise, like something loose banging against the body of the truck, it was loud. At first, I thought it was a song with loud bass and that the volume was turned down, like a muffled bass sound. But that wasn't it, then I thought the spare tire was loose and banging, that also wasn't it. I don't have a tonneau cover but I have the split tailgate. Anyway, fast forward to this morning during my commute to work, it started from my driveway and kept getting louder. I can't tell if it is mechanical or not, the pace is not consistent with the quality of the road or acceleration/deceleration. I can't replicate the condition (breaking, potholes, or certain speed / RPM) but it is worrisome, at a certain point it got so loud and aggressive that I was expecting something to pop off the truck. I was hoping that someone has heard or experienced this before, I know the dealer if they can't replicate the issue they will not do anything, and it is happening randomly so far.

Thank you in advance
I have a new 2022 RAM 1500 Limited also and have the exact same noise/issue with my truck. Had it in to the dealer and they first disconnected the Sub-woofer to see if it was bad .. still had the drum beating noise. Then the tech did some research on their tech forum (whatever that is) and my service advisor told me he had found lots of posts on the same problem and had determined it was the pressures in the transmission? Told me it was a known problem and they were working on a fix? Not sure if I believe them, but that's what I was told. After seeing these posts on the ANC system issues, I now think this is possibly the issue. Let me know if you figure out a cause and fix ... I'll do the same.

GlennR

Reaction score
I was able to make good progress this morning during my commute, few good findings:

1. I think I am able to rule out ANC:
    • I opened the window (which theoretically disables ANC) and the noise was still there
    • I took one step further and performed a soft reset of the unit, while it was rebooting (the few seconds that the screen was off) I still heard the noise
  2. Back seats are folded since yesterday so that is not it as well
  3. seatbelts all are where they belong (I got excited for a second because the passenger seat belt yesterday was twisted so I thought Richard320 above nailed it, I appreciate it though)
  4. Better, I was able to record it!! here is the thing though, you won't be able to hear it with normal laptop speakers, the minimum will be both AirPods on with the volume turned all the way up, or for the best quality, over the truck's speakers, it sounds crystal clear. The noise I am talking about is clear at seconds # 0:04, 0:17, 0:18, and 0:19 in this linked audio. The last one is the clearest.
Thank you all, I appreciate everyone's input.

https://soundcloud.com/user-665228350%2Flonghorn-limited-22-drum-noise
I have a new 2022 1500 Limited and have that exact noise ... just posted a reply to another similar post, mentioning my dealer tech advised this is well documented on the dealer's tech forum and it is the pressures in the transmission ... not sure if this is correct, but they seemed to be fairly certain about it. Mentioned there is no fix for it yet, but RAM knows about it and working on it. Not sure if I can believe what they told me?

GlennR

Reaction score
OK, I've listened to it several times through my earbuds. Are we sure rolling the window down disables ANC? Maybe I missed the answer to this, but have you had the drumming happen while stationary? It really does sound like thumping out of the subwoofer. I think you need a buddy to get in the back while you drive and stick their head in the floorboard and listen.
I have the same issue on my 2022 Limited (with HK system) and the first thing the dealer tech did was disconnect my sub-woofer and have me drive it a few days ... still had the sound. They told me it was something to do with the transmission pressure and is a know issue? Look at my other replies for more info.

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
There is an older thread on this. Something with the word booming. I had this issue in my 21 limited and it seems the back cab wall and/or vents start to vibrate at certain speeds. The fix had to do with putting a pool noodle or in my case round pipe insulation from home depot between the back of cab and the bed either above or below the rear cab vents. I also put sound proofing on inside back of cab wall. Find the thread and it explains alot.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Is this only with the H/K system or can the Alpine w/ subwoofer do it as well? Looked on my build sheet and found “Active Noise Control System”. I just have the Alpine w/ subwoofer.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this only with the H/K system or can the Alpine w/ subwoofer do it as well? Looked on my build sheet and found “Active Noise Control System”. I just have the Alpine w/ subwoofer.
If you have cabin microphones and a subwoofer then I think you get ANC. All it does is pump white noise through the sub to help reduce the road noise you hear.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
ANC is standard with the Hemi on all trim levels, it runs through the rear door speakers

MO Rebel

Reaction score
If you have cabin microphones and a subwoofer then I think you get ANC. All it does is pump white noise through the sub to help reduce the road noise you hear.
I definitely have ANC, just didn’t know if it was producing the same “drum beat” w/ the Alpine as opposed to the H/K. All I’ve seen is H/K mentioned with the annoying sound. I’ve only got 250 miles on my Rebel. I haven’t noticed it yet.

JakeB4St8Farm

Reaction score
Mine makes this drumming noise, sometimes morphs into a droning noise. Rolling the windows down didn’t stop it. The dealership heard the noise and confirmed it went away when the amplifier containing the ANC module was unplugged. They have a new amplifier on order for me, it’s back ordered so I’m not sure when I’ll get a replacement.

Late to the thread, but we got a ‘22 Rebel and this has been happening. Happens at all speeds. Noise comes from the rear right. Happens even when stopped and pushing on the pedal in Park or Neutral. Did you get that new amplifier and did it make any difference?

Users who are viewing this thread