5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drove 10 miles without FOB!?

sparky01

Reaction score
So my truck is push-button start. Yesterday I drove home from work and working nights I was a little loopy. It was cold so I left the truck running for the wife to take the kid to school. About 5 minutes later I noticed that I still had the FOB in my pocket. So she drove the truck about 10 miles without a FOB in it? That sound right to you guys?

Dynamite

Reaction score
Yes you can drive it without key fob but if you turn it off it wont restart again if the key fob its not detected.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
leaving it running is a lot safer then the truck just shutting off while driving if key fob not detected. This is standard across all pushbutton start cars.

KiyLux

Reaction score
On my old 2017 F250, I could turn on Police mode, which was great, because without the key fob inside the vehicle, it would not let you shift out of Park. Only with the fob could you shift out of park. This way you could leave it running and no one could just get in and drive away without a key fob inside the truck. I miss that feature already....

sparky01

Reaction score
I have a Hyundai Sonata that alarms when you leave the car with the fob. You would think these trucks will all of the bell and whistles on them would have this feature. I understand that it's not safe for the truck to just stop running in the middle of the road but she should not have been able to take it out of park.

d19r93

Reaction score
Mine dings 9 times then stops but the message stays in the cluster.. My Charger would ding forever until you brought the key back.

Steveklassen

Reaction score
I was testing this today after getting stranded. Somehow I started the truck and managed to leave the fob on the tonneau cover. Drove to a job site and it fell off about 5 miles away. It never once dinged. I tested this when I got home. If in drive and the fob leaves the car there is no ding, no message, and no alert.
Had I heard a ding, I would’ve pulled over and hopefully my keys wouldn’t have gotten run over by 400 cars on the road...

Attachments

• FEDC5451-089D-4A79-B2A4-8719D7DAF353.jpeg
    FEDC5451-089D-4A79-B2A4-8719D7DAF353.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 104

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the trans locks in park and it says fob not detected when I leave the truck. Now I'm curious if that was my Ford.. going to have to check now.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Happened to a family member with their new Volvo, dropped someone off who had the key in their pocket and they continued to a store. Shut off the vehicle and realized they didn't have the key fob. They couldn't start it and they needed to wait until someone dropped off the key to them.

Boston

Reaction score
On my old 2017 F250, I could turn on Police mode, which was great, because without the key fob inside the vehicle, it would not let you shift out of Park. Only with the fob could you shift out of park. This way you could leave it running and no one could just get in and drive away without a key fob inside the truck. I miss that feature already....

There is a not so secret compartment on the F series that allows you to start and drive even if the fob battery is dead. It’s under the cup holder.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
On Ram if remote start and don’t push “run” with key fob detected can’t engage drive. I learned this the other day 😂. Pretty neat security feature.

Scram1500

Reaction score
The keyless fob sounds good in theory, but I find myself misplacing the key all the time because unlike a standard key it doesn't go in the ignition once you're in the truck. Other than being jammed in my pocket with everything else it doesn't have a home. I am absent minded though so that doesn't help

HemiDude

Reaction score
I always remote start mine using the AM system I installed. One of the things I like best about it is that once you open the door you have a minute to get in, close the door, and push on the brake pedal. Otherwise it shuts off. Have to have the fob on you, so not likely that someone jumps in and drives away without it

BNeal

Reaction score
I was testing this today after getting stranded. Somehow I started the truck and managed to leave the fob on the tonneau cover. Drove to a job site and it fell off about 5 miles away. It never once dinged. I tested this when I got home. If in drive and the fob leaves the car there is no ding, no message, and no alert.
Had I heard a ding, I would’ve pulled over and hopefully my keys wouldn’t have gotten run over by 400 cars on the road...
Wow. I can't believe you found it. I'll bet that wasn't a cheap replacement!

Users who are viewing this thread