5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Droning/Sub Woofer Noise

NovaAdam

Reaction score
Hi - New to the forum. I recently purchased a 2022 RAM 1500 Limited in July 2022. I used to own a Ford and made the switch this summer. The truck makes an abnormal cabin noise that is a rumbling/droning noise that is present at all speeds and extremely loud at speeds around 38-40 MPH and on rough/grave roads. The service director at the dealership confirmed the noise issue problem and he also compared my vehicle to others at their lot. None of the other Ram trucks made similar noise. It has been in the dealership four times and they still cannot find the cause of the problem. They have ruled out ANC, tires, and replaced the exhaust. Still no change in the noise. I have seen post on droning noise caused by faulty ANC. Has anyone else experienced similar problem? Has Ram replaced vehicles with this problem? Thanks for help!!

Semnole13

Reaction score
Does your RAM‘s amplifier under the driver’s seat end in “AB”? Mine did and I was having the same issue and RAM replaced the amplifier and no more issues.

Bullcycles

Reaction score
I had a problem like that with my ANC as well.. I know they said they ruled it out. Probably did if they are swapping exhaust etc.. but you can unplug both harnesses on the ANC to verify. Worked on mine.. I’m using an ANC bypass harness now and no more droning

NovaAdam

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and input. The ANC under the driver seat ends in AC. I did disconnect the ANC and the issue was still there. Very frustrating. You would hope RAM Technical team would be more helpful in trying to resolve the problem.

Semnole13

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and input. The ANC under the driver seat ends in AC. I did disconnect the ANC and the issue was still there. Very frustrating. You would hope RAM Technical team would be more helpful in trying to resolve the problem.
Okay. The new amp they gave me ended in "AC" One of the other things people have done to see if it is actually the ANC is to roll your drivers side window down and see if the noise goes away. If it does, its the amp/ANC.

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Two other things I can think of are the Active Tuned Mass Module (ATMM) under the truck and the anti vibration cancelation control module. Those usually throw a code though…

it is suppose to vibrate to cancel drone from the VVT and works with the ANC

“To reduce noise in the cabin, two Active-Tuned Mass Modules (ATMM) mounted on the frame rails search out unfavorable vibrations and apply countermeasures. The electronically controlled ATMM units work in harmony with an interior active noise cancellation system on 5.7-liter Hemi V8-equipped models to reduce ambient sounds down to a low – and impressive – 67.1 decibels.”

A94C04B2-F68F-4E45-B385-D504FEF3A427.jpeg

4C07F8F5-0B8D-4AF5-A3F9-D1CE73E3205D.jpeg

NovaAdam

Reaction score
Two other things I can think of are the Active Tuned Mass Module (ATMM) under the truck and the anti vibration cancelation control module. Those usually throw a code though…

it is suppose to vibrate to cancel drone from the VVT and works with the ANC

“To reduce noise in the cabin, two Active-Tuned Mass Modules (ATMM) mounted on the frame rails search out unfavorable vibrations and apply countermeasures. The electronically controlled ATMM units work in harmony with an interior active noise cancellation system on 5.7-liter Hemi V8-equipped models to reduce ambient sounds down to a low – and impressive – 67.1 decibels.”

View attachment 139221

View attachment 139222
Thanks!! I will have them look at these items. I bought a sound meter and measured the noise level in the truck. The noise level varies with the droning/subwoofer type of noise. The meter measured from mid 60s to 74 to mid 90s. Do you know what the truck is designed to keep the noise level below certain range. Again, thank you all for your help!!

NovaAdam

Reaction score
I looked at my truck and I do NOT see the cylinder shape module under the truck. I looked at both the driver and passenger side of the truck. Do you all know if this is required for all trucks? Thank you again!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are mechanical problems that can do this as well, like out-of-balance driveshaft, differential, transfer case. And tires can make tread noise that may resonate in body cavities. But definitely check the cheaper stuff first. If it's actually coming from the subwoofer like your title suggests, just disconnect it and see if there's any change. And then the rest of the speakers, etc, on down the list of possible noisemakers. Dealer may have already done some or all of this, it's not entirely clear from the OP.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
I looked at my truck and I do NOT see the cylinder shape module under the truck. I looked at both the driver and passenger side of the truck. Do you all know if this is required for all trucks? Thank you again!
Those are the super fancy electronic ones. With supply chain problems - they probably went with the normal old school dampers that are just basically weights that help with vibration. 1663596943781.png

DaveTz

Reaction score
Fought the same thing for months until I disconnected one of the rear microphones by pulling the pin out of the connector at the amp under the driver's seat. Perfect silence. Wish I would have done that before I replaced all the speakers. But it does sound much better than the cheap factory ones they installed.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's my thread from two years ago. You're welcome.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe it is only on VVT trucks, so if you have a v6 wouldn't have one

NovaAdam

Reaction score
I do have the old school dampers on the truck. I really did not know what those were on the vehicles. It is odd that they would use those on the higher Trim models. The dealer did test different tires, unhooked the subwoofer, disconnected the ANC...etc. It has been a struggle trying to figure out the noise problem. Thanks again for your advise!!

NovaAdam

Reaction score
Anyone else have a 2022 Ram Limited built within the last 3 months and experiencing the same issues?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else have a 2022 Ram Limited built within the last 3 months and experiencing the same issues?
One thing someone mentioned, but you haven’t verified here- if you roll down the driver window, does the noise stop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/