5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driving in 8TH gear

Repsol69

Reaction score
Ok, So are the new 2019's MDS systems the same as the older models??? Can I still ride around in 8th gear to keep the MDS from engaging?? I did this with my 2017 1500 ...Thx.

Jcalton

Reaction score
Yep, just turn the limiter on and set to 8th and mds will shut off

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

U

User_3336

Its + + + + + + + All the way up to 8th. I hate MDS. My truck has NEVER seen MDS. I guess I will wear out the +/- buttons.
if I wanted a truck to run in 4 cylinder mode, I'd have bought a 4 cylinder truck (ugh)

XDBrad

Reaction score
Its + + + + + + + All the way up to 8th. I hate MDS. My truck has NEVER seen MDS. I guess I will wear out the +/- buttons.
if I wanted a truck to run in 4 cylinder mode, I'd have bought a 4 cylinder truck (ugh)

What GregHBNA said x2!

Repsol69

Reaction score
Got it I knew how to do it just didn’t know it was called the limiter. I never drive with the MDS on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Same, I think I've used mds for like 2 weeks...maybe. I honestly get as good if mpgs without it than with on a flat road going the same speed. Plus no hideous noise

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish they'd add the "Eco" button like my Durango has .. that disables the MDS.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Selecting tow/haul mode also disables mds (I think?) and also winds rpms a little higher between shifts. (Makes aftermarket exhaust sound cool) It does want to downshift sooner to help with engine braking though, and not sure if it will go to 8th gear on freeway.

Ruben73

Reaction score
Is there a light that comes on when using the Gear limiter? Does it reset when truck shuts off? Tried using it the other day but did not see any indication that it was on.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a light that comes on when using the Gear limiter? Does it reset when truck shuts off? Tried using it the other day but did not see any indication that it was on.
If you go into the * settings area of UConnect display, there is an option to turn on to display current gear you are in and it will display + or - when you use that feature. Also you can turn on the "eco" light display there also to show when in fuel saving mds 4 cylinder mode. I believe limiter resets to normal after shutting off truck. or just push + button several times to cancel once above 8th gear

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The current gear limit selection will be in the instrument cluster next to the drive "D" indicator, near your odometer. You can turn it on any time by pressing the + or - buttons to select a gear you'd like to limit the truck to. To turn it off, either press + until you go past 8th, or just press and hold + from any gear selection until the gear selection indicator disappears.

If you go into the * settings area of UConnect display, there is an option to turn on to display current gear you are in and it will display + or - when you use that feature. Also you can turn on the "eco" light display there also to show when in fuel saving mds 4 cylinder mode. I believe limiter resets to normal after shutting off truck. or just push + button several times to cancel once above 8th gear

Turning on the current gear display is done in the EVIC setup menu, not in Uconnect settings. The Eco light is in the Uconnect settings like you stated.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they asked in the voting category about "least favorite" the shift limiting thing would be mine. I wish it were a true thumb shifter. That's one thing I miss about my Titan - the ability to instantly select and hold any gear I want, which is pretty useful here in the mountains. On the other hand, the Ram has a lot more gears so it's a little easier for the truck to find one that works a little more seamlessly than the Titan (5 speed).

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If they asked in the voting category about "least favorite" the shift limiting thing would be mine. I wish it were a true thumb shifter. That's one thing I miss about my Titan - the ability to instantly select and hold any gear I want, which is pretty useful here in the mountains. On the other hand, the Ram has a lot more gears so it's a little easier for the truck to find one that works a little more seamlessly than the Titan (5 speed).

I don't get it; how is the titan different than the Ram's limiter? All cars/trucks that have +/- on them are limiters, with the exception of some sports cars where you are actually able to shift it like a true manual. The rest are just limiters, you set the max gear and the transmission chooses gear 1 - max.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't get it; how is the titan different than the Ram's limiter? All cars/trucks that have +/- on them are limiters, with the exception of some sports cars where you are actually able to shift it like a true manual. The rest are just limiters, you set the max gear and the transmission chooses gear 1 - max.
No, the Titan has true gear selectability, not limiting. (The first generation, don't know about the second). If you have the console model you can slapstick into any gear you want and it will hold that gear; I used to use it all the time to force a downshift before climbing a mountain to hold 4th (or occasionally 3rd). If you have a column shift you get the same thing only on a little button with an up/down capability, so you can manually shift to whatever gear you want. On the Ram all you can do is limit the upshift. It's not the same thing.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, the Titan has true gear selectability, not limiting. (The first generation, don't know about the second). If you have the console model you can slapstick into any gear you want and it will hold that gear; I used to use it all the time to force a downshift before climbing a mountain to hold 4th (or occasionally 3rd). If you have a column shift you get the same thing only on a little button with an up/down capability, so you can manually shift to whatever gear you want. On the Ram all you can do is limit the upshift. It's not the same thing.

As per your signature, keep in mind I'm a little "slow". What you describe (climb a mountain to hold 4th or occasionally 3rd), I would do in my ram by beginning to climb the mountain, then push the little "-" key until it downshifts into 3. At that point, it will never upshift past 3. It will only cycle between 1 - 3. Still not seeing how that's different than your titan since it too must downshift and cycle between 1 and 3. It can't just blindly lug along in 3 while you are crawling at 5 mph.

Are you saying that if you are in 3 in your titan, you can hit the + and force it into 4, 5 etc? That it upshifts beyond what it would do normally if you hadn't pressed +?

Users who are viewing this thread